OT: 74th Obsequious Banter Thread: Remember That Mike Vecchione Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Perhaps. I can’t say I really follow that stuff in depth. That’s the first time I saw him talk outside of a movie role in a long time.

He also suffers from MAJOR anxiety.

I'm not saying i'm disagreeing with the notion that the role isn't good for people's mental health though, I just think he's always been off.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So wait a second,

Gigi Hadid, one of the world's most famous models, is a potential juror for the Harvey Weinstein case?

How is that possible? What are the chances of out of all of the people in NYC that she be one of the potential jurors?

*We all know that she won't be chosen, especially because the media was given permission to name her.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oscars usually choose relevant movies and rarely impactful ones, though they slip in and don’t win a lot. 5-10 years out they look dated.

It also feels at times like a legacy award where they feel an actor is just “due” and get the award machine going. Phoenix is one of the best actors of his generation, same thing for Brad Pitt. Not saying noms weren’t deserved, but is this really what they should win them for — which is basically a foregone conclusion? I think they’ve done better work. Or conversely, they give it to an up-and-comer to anoint them.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oscars usually choose relevant movies and rarely impactful ones, though they slip in and don’t win a lot. 5-10 years out they look dated.

It also feels at times like a legacy award where they feel an actor is just “due” and get the award machine going. Phoenix is one of the best actors of his generation, same thing for Brad Pitt. Not saying noms weren’t deserved, but is this really what they should win them for — which is basically a foregone conclusion? I think they’ve done better work. Or conversely, they give it to an up-and-comer to anoint them.

I’m not saying HC here but in general it feels like a lot of hysteria is basically people wanting everything & anything to be nominated. At least that what I gathered from people complaining on Twitter today.

I like movies that probably aren’t critically acclaimed because they’re fun watches but I don’t mistake that for being serious award worthy.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t think playing the Joker in a serious take is good for one’s health these days. Phoenix is looking like a whack job recently.

He looked/sounded like crazy at that Oscar’s or whatever the other day & I believe he got arrested at some climate change protest thing the following day or whatever.

He habitually goes through these cycles of insanity.

By playing the Joker he probably had to act the least of all the Jokers. He probably has to act hardest when he's trying to portray a sane person.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Joker getting 11 Oscar Noms is, pardon the pun, f***ing comical.

Should have been nominated for 2: Best Actor & Best Score.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
1917 was incredible - Go see it in theater

Seeing it today.

Also 100% agree with the Joker take. Can't see why that was nominated for Best Picture. I thoroughly enjoyed Uncut Gems and Knives out more, and thought they deserved noms even though they were unlikely to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad