Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tri-City Storm at eliteprospects.com

Last year he looked very poor.

They talked how he took a HUGE step this year.

After 8 years we'll see how all these Draper reaches failed totally and how Håkan Andersson did bring the Golden era back to Detroit with his European gems.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen you be so critical of anything the Wings have done… ever.

Mazur was the one that broke Henkka, lol.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

After 8 years we'll see how all these Draper reaches failed totally and how Håkan Andersson did bring the Golden era back to Detroit with his European gems.

Every year Yzerman lets Draper make one pick to say thanks for centering the checking line for 10 years.

Reactions: lilidk

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Not much to get excited about with this pick.

Considering the brass have traded away 5 draft picks in this years draft. And now are reaching for overage players in rd 3….

It’s safe to say the Wings do not like many players in the mid rounds of this draft… or were not confident picking prospects because of the inability to live view players this year.

(Draper live viewed Mazur for years, so that doesn’t apply to him.)

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Man if there is one thing Kris Draper is good at it is wasting middle round draft picks on players I can 100% say will not make the nhl based solely off of looking at their hockeydb

Aucoin, Hannas, and now this. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. I get when picks don’t work out, very few do, but sometimes the upside is just not there. There is a difference in missing on a Pulkinen/Nybeck/Raty type pick and making these, Zach Gallanf and Louis Aubry picks.

Last edited:

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Man if there is one thing Kris Draper is good at it is wasting middle round draft picks on players I can 100% say will not make the nhl based solely off of looking at their hockeydb

Aucoin, Hannas, and now this. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. I get when picks don’t work out, very few do, but sometimes the upside is just not there
Aucoin was a 6th round pick lol

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Kris Draper should get fired.

Or all that joke NA drafting department.

What a joke of pick.

Almost 1,5 year overager.

Local kid to hype Little Caesars hockey program or something.

I can’t upvote posts anymore due to infractions but I’m with you brother. Reassign Draper to VP of Hotdog Quality Assurance and bring in someone new. Carolina drafts well and is known for shit pay, poach some of their guys

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Aucoin, Hannas, and now this. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. I get when picks don’t work out, very few do, but sometimes the upside is just not there

Don't forget about Kienan Draper, Cooper Moore, Chase Bradley, & Sam Strange. Though I do think Bradley & Strange have a chance to make it as 4th liners.

It's crazy to look at how the Wings have drafted under Draper and compare it to the Oilers under Wright. So far it seems like Draper has continued Wrights preference for size, intangibles, and grit™ while Wright has moved towards a more skilled and upside based approach in Edmonton. It has only been 1 draft so far, just an interesting observation I had.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Unless they get two all-stars out of their first 3 picks, the Wings wasted a boat load of picks, and this draft will be considered a bust. This guy’s stats as an 18 year old are uninspiring, let alone for an over-ager. This is a draft we look at in 7 years and see relevant NHL’ers spread throughout rounds 2-7. In my opinion, this was a draft to out-scout every other team and throw darts at as many potential gems as possible, not trade them all away to move up a few spots for players that may have fallen to you anyways. As a Stevie loyalist, I’m pessimistic on this draft.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
James De Haas, Mike McKee, David Pope, Chase Perry, Patrick Holloway, Chase Pearson, Jack Adams, Keith Petruzelli, Kasper Koskasalo, Ryan O’Reilly (not that one!), Dennis Cholowski, Seth Barton, Carter Gylander, Ethan Phillips, Cooper Moore, Robert Mastriome, Anti Tuomosito, Kieran Draper, Kyle Aucoin, Chase Bradley, Sam Strange and now Carter Mazur. (22 players)

Every Red Wings pick since 2013 that were drafted with the intention of going to the NCAA to develop.

As a Wings fan you are conditioned to roll your eyes and think ‘wasted pick’ when you hear they are going NCAA route.
Hopefully someone finally becomes something! (anything)

*Larkin is the one exception, but he was a blue chip can’t miss prospect that didnt ‘need development’.

Reactions: firestarter

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
James De Haas, Mike McKee, David Pope, Chase Perry, Patrick Holloway, Chase Pearson, Jack Adams, Keith Petruzelli, Kasper Koskasalo, Ryan O’Reilly (not that one!), Seth Barton, Carter Gylander, Ethan Phillips, Cooper Moore, Robert Mastriome, Anti Tuomosito, Kieran Draper, Kyle Aucoin, Chase Bradley, Sam Strange and now Carter Mazur. (21 players)

Every Red Wings pick since 2013 that were drafted with the intention of going to the NCAA to develop.

As a Wings fan you are conditioned to roll your eyes and think ‘wasted pick’ when you hear they are going NCAA route.

*Larkin is the one exception, but he was a blue chip can’t miss prospect that didnt ‘need development’.
yeaaah. Out of those Mastro and Tuomisto are the only ones with any potential. Tuomisto moreso than Mastro. I really dislike the NCAA as a development league.

Reactions: firestarter

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

8? it’s only been a couple years since Draper has been in the role, and already it looks like ZERO of his picks will ever see even any AHL action, let alone NHL.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
James De Haas, Mike McKee, David Pope, Chase Perry, Patrick Holloway, Chase Pearson, Jack Adams, Keith Petruzelli, Kasper Koskasalo, Ryan O’Reilly (not that one!), Dennis Cholowski, Seth Barton, Carter Gylander, Ethan Phillips, Cooper Moore, Robert Mastriome, Anti Tuomosito, Kieran Draper, Kyle Aucoin, Chase Bradley, Sam Strange and now Carter Mazur. (22 players)

God that’s depressing. We just are awful drafters.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
It feels like unless we draft skilled undersized European wingers everyone gets mad

I'd have been okay with a skilled NA skater too like a Connor Roullete or Ayrton Martino. Or if you did want to go for someone in the high compete model a Cole Huckins or Dylan Duke would've been good options. And then there were dmen like Brent Johnson, Anton Olsson, or Tyson Hinds available too.

Personally, I'm mostly "upset" with the Wings leaving value on the board when they reach for someone like Mazur this year or Hanas last year.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
yeaaah. Out of those Mastro and Tuomisto are the only ones with any potential. Tuomisto moreso than Mastro. I really dislike the NCAA as a development league.
Had to edit to add Cholowski !!
How could I have forgotten the biggest NCAA disappointment. Make that 22 players and nothing yet.

Drafting out of 2nd tier junior leagues like USHL and BCHL is more of a dart throw. It’s tough.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Did well for Nyquist and Howard.

Don’t think there is any issue with it as a developmental path, outside of the player getting the ability to test the market.

If those players don’t make it I won’t think it because they went the NCAA route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad