Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Did well for Nyquist and Howard.

Don’t think there is any issue with it as a developmental path, outside of the player getting the ability to test the market.

If those players don’t make it I won’t think it because they went the NCAA route.
I didn’t go back that far.
Howard was 18 years ago.
Nyquist was 13 years ago.

If you keep going to the same well and it produces water once every 13 years… you and your family won’t survive.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'll need to see this kid play more and give it some time, but based on what I've read about him in the past half hour, I like him. The overage piece makes me cringe a little, generally I don't like them, but this kid feels like he's in the vein of Mastrosimone and Sebrango from recent drafts.... boring picks to most fans at first, but they are all gamers with high compete, physical play, go to the dirty areas, kinda sandpaper-y. You don't want a full roster of that type, you need skill, but these types have their place on a winning roster.

Reactions: ealong59

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I know the scouts have watched all of this kid's shifts from the past few years so they know way more than us, but this seems like a reach again. Draper needs to hit on some of these guys that are clearly his picks in the next few years

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I know the scouts have watched all of this kid's shifts from the past few years so they know way more than us, but this seems like a reach again. Draper needs to hit on some of these guys that are clearly his picks in the next few years

Just so we are clear, the guys that are “clearly his picks” aren’t “clearly his picks”. He has area scouts who are pushing for kids. And they are coming in later rounds. And realistically they are going to take 4+ years before we know what we have.

Teams don’t hit on these kids consistently. It’s not commonplace, and you won’t know for years one way or another

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That's the thing. Weak draft combine with not being able to see a lot of these kids play. It's gonna be even more of a crapshoot than usual.
Yeah...once you get out of the top 20 (really the top 10-ish) this draft is just a dart board. Could just as easily get Cam Barker as a Jamie Benn with any pick.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Kris Draper should get fired.

Or all that joke NA drafting department.

What a joke of pick.

Almost 1,5 year overager.

Local kid to hype Little Caesars hockey program or something.

This is definitely looking like a head scratcher of a draft. We won’t know for 2 years though.

I don’t like the pick but he’s ours now. Let’s hope for the best.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It does feel like maybe our development staff in Cleary and Horcoff are just trying to minimize travel. Like sitting in the war room whispering to Stevie and Drapes can we get these guys just playing at Denver and Frolunda, yeah that would be great we have picked out a lovely hotel that we have become quite attached to in that town. :laugh:

I think he is an interesting player. We have gone with a lot of college players under Yzerman thus far, I think that is pretty interesting, he was more CHL based than any GM in the league when he was in Tampa yet we have seen a lot of USHL and Europe, points to when he says BPA he means it I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
It does feel like maybe our development staff in Cleary and Horcoff are just trying to minimize travel. Like sitting in the warm room whispering to Stevie and Drapes can we get these guys just playing at Denver and Frolunda, yeah that would be great we have picked out a lovely hotel that we have become quite attached to in that town. :laugh:

I think he is an interesting player. We have gone with a lot of college players under Yzerman thus far, I think that is pretty interesting, he was more CHL based than any GM in the league when he was in Tampa yet we have seen a lot of USHL and Europe, points to when he says BPA he means it I guess.

One would think though if the draft misses start piling up, they’d be first to blame.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
One would think though if the draft misses start piling up, they’d be first to blame.

Draper is the first to blame. As a fan, I am getting tired of seeing middle/late round players get drafted almost solely because they have a personal relationship with Draper. Its worse than Avila, because he at least used the 1020th overall in the 32nd round to draft his kid (who became an everyday MLB player).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All I got is... cool? We got our annual Draper pick out of the way.
I don't mind the pick except it should have been in the 4th round. At the same time, I think the 4th and 5th round picks could have gone a round higher, so it's a wash.

The kid throws his body around, and Helm is his favorite player. If he winds up being a slightly slower version of pre-back injury Helm, he might the league as an energy 4th liner. Past the first 2 rounds, just making the league is a draft win. Helm would actually go first round in a 2005 re-draft (based on points or games played), but that was a really crappy draft year.

It's not a complete garbage pick like Kienan, I'm not gonna get mad by the reach. Good luck to this kid though, it's gonna be a tough road for him I think.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Personally, I'm mostly "upset" with the Wings leaving value on the board when they reach for someone like Mazur this year or Hanas last year.

Hanas was maybe 10 picks too high. He was well liked by lots of scouting guides.
Not even close to the same thing as Mazur an overager who might not have been drafted.

To me, Hanas is like the Buium pick.
He's a guy I had only my list. he just went too high.
But at least I can understand it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is one that will be interesting to me. Seems like he was more highly thought of in actual scouting circles than in the media. Scouting report actually reads a lot like Point (not saying hes that good or anything) but Stevie likes a certain type of player. A weird draft but not surprising given the current situation the world is in.

Yzerman is possibly the most competitive athlete I'veseen play. If people think hes giving Draper a pass to just draft buddies that arent deserving I dont know what to tell you

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad