GDT: #7: FLYERS 3 at Blue Jackets 6, Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
1000% fine with me.

Beats the absolute piss out of missing the playoffs every other year, having not won a playoff series in 7-years, and not even making an attempt to win at all over the last 5 even though our core players have been in their prime during the last 5-years. Hextall's goal is to MAYBE win a playoff round. That would be a successful season for him. That's how far this organizations expectations have fallen.
It's embarrassing.

I understand this is Hockey's "Future" and there is an infatuation with tomorrow, but the uncomfortable questions is what happens if tomorrow never comes?
What if these picks and players don't meet expectations?

As far as I'm concerned, Ron Hextall is building for a future we will NEVER see so long has he is calling the shots. He's gotten us this far. Ron Francis got the Carolian Hurricanes to a certain point but his overvaluing of his own playrs & prospects stunted the Hurricanes growth. I mean Don Waddell is literally one of the worst GM's in NHL history, but he comes in not afraid to make trades and wouldn't you know what happened? Carolina looks p fantastic cause he made moves to a stale group.

Ron Hextall is no different than Ron Francis. I wish he would join Franics in the "I blew my chance at my NHL GM dream job" line.

Ignoring the hyperbole (or at least I hope it is), you're severely underrating the power a certain Flyers fan has gained in the Carolina front office.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I only skimmed this thread and didnt get a chance to watch because of work, and someone ruined my DVR experience - thought it seems it may be a blessing. Was it as bad as it looked?

Eliminate the last 40 minutes and you have yourself a victory. Otherwise, if you enjoy discombobulated frolicking in a cesspool of fetid and festering slop then pick up an extra bag of chips and enjoy the proceedings.

Last edited:

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Because once Hart is ready, we have the best goalie prospect in the NHL on the doorstep.
And we're not asking him to be the savior, just be a real goalie.
but what if Carter Hart doesn't pan out?
What if Carter Hart isn't ready next year (or the year after?) just like Morgan Frost wasn't ready eventhough 80% of this board just penciled him into the 3C spot no problem?
Or, what if he arrives after much hype and disappoints like how Lindblom was supposed to be the next great winger for us... only to find out he just looks ok at best nothing special?
or what if he's like Sam Morin and can't make the NHL in his draft + 4 year and then gets injured and misses nearly a full season so he's looking at age 24 or 25 at maybe becoming an NHL rookie as a bottom pair guy?

Considering goalies are a crapshoot up until they prove it in the NHL, that is a VERY real scenario.

This organization will continue to get into deep shit if they look at all of these prospects as absolutes. We need to be flexible and have ideas to answer the question of "what if?"

A part of the reason we don't look as good as we should is because our young players aren't making the contributions and making the step that we had hoped. Some of that is out of the players hands thanks to Hextall's choice of coach, but for others the players may jus not be as good as we thought they were.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
but what if Carter Hart doesn't pan out?
What if Carter Hart isn't ready next year (or the year after?) just like Morgan Frost wasn't ready eventhough 80% of this board just penciled him into the 3C spot no problem?
Or, what if he arrives after much hype and disappoints like how Lindblom was supposed to be the next great winger for us... only to find out he just looks ok at best nothing special?
or what if he's like Sam Morin and can't make the NHL in his draft + 4 year and then gets injured and misses nearly a full season so he's looking at age 24 or 25 at maybe becoming an NHL rookie as a bottom pair guy?

Considering goalies are a crapshoot up until they prove it in the NHL, that is a VERY real scenario.

This organization will continue to get into deep **** if they look at all of these prospects as absolutes. We need to be flexible and have ideas to answer the question of "what if?"

A part of the reason we don't look as good as we should is because our young players aren't making the contributions and making the step that we had hoped. Some of that is out of the players hands thanks to Hextall's choice of coach, but for others the players may jus not be as good as we thought they were.

It wasn't long ago that a lot of people presumed Stolarz would be settling in as starter now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
HairyIdealisticHuemul-size_restricted.gif
Screen-Shot-2018-03-13-at-2.58.06-PM-300x223.png

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ignoring the hyperbole (or at least I hope it is), you're severely underrating the power a certain Flyers fan has gained in the Carolina front office.

Waddell is just a front man to give them some credibility with the hockeyguys.

If the Flyers hired a Waddell type we’d be absolutely screwed as there wouldn’t be anyone in place to overrule his bullshit like there is in Carolina.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Top goalies

Raanta - UDFA, starter at age 28
Luongo - #4-97, starter at 21, career .921 S% Traded to FLA in 2000 for Parrish (22 year old 20+ goal RW, and Kvasha)
Crawford - 2nd-03, started at 26
MAF - #1-03, starter at 21
Rinne - 8th rd-04, started at 26
Gibson - 2nd rd-11, started at 23
Hellebuyck - 5th rd-12, started at 23
Lundqvist - 7th rd-00, started at 23
Rask - #21-05, started at 22
Quick - 3rd rd-05, started at 23
Bob - started at 22
Vasilevskiy - #19-12, started at 22
Holtby - 4th rd-08, started at 23-24
Mike Smith - 5th-01, started at 26, struggled then 29
Devan Dubnyk - #14-04, started at 25, struggled, then 29
Ben Bishop - 3rd rd-05, started at 27
Federick Anderson - 7th rd-10, started at 25, traded for 1st and 2nd rd pick

Looking at this, you mostly have to draft your own.
A few trades, often for backups, but draft a good one, he should start at 22-23.
And collect goalies, because later round picks blossomed between 26-28.

Reactions: achdumeingute

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart is probably the most polished 20 year old goalie we've had in the system that I can ever recall.

Bob was incredibly talented, but he was unrefined, his positioning was very flawed, and he got by chiefly on pure athletic skill.

But Hart looked beyond his years with his tracking, angles, and composure.

21 is awfully young for a NHL starter, but Bob is awfully precocious.
And it's not like he's a decent CHL goalie we'd be rushing, he was merely the best juniors goalie since ???
Now we just have to see how fast he adjusts to the AHL, that'll probably be the biggest clue to how long it'll take for him to get to Philly, if he struggles, a couple years, if he's dominating by December, well, . . .

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Same old, same old. I'm not going to touch on Hak or the usual problems. Just a few other things.

15:55 ice time for Konecny tonight is so lol. His line with Weal & Lindblom was going well.

I liked seeing Provorov carry the puck tonight and go to the net. A step toward getting more assertive offensively.

I thought Sanheim looked really good (big shock, I know). Poise and confidence everywhere. He will only keep improving unless Hak sabotages him again. Sky high potential.

Misha better be back in on Saturday.

The Laughton line was pretty bad. Laughton's best position is far and away LW. He's looked good this year, except tonight. It's probably not a coincidence it was his lone full game at center.

Couts still isn't himself. Not even close.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK was 4th in ES TOI, he doesn't play the PK and PP2 doesn't get a lot of time right now, wonder why?

The only thing that can sabotage Sanheim is Sanheim, he plays like this on a regular basis he'll be pushing 20 minutes a night (limited by PP2 and need to get more physical to get PK time).

Reactions: Lindberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hart is probably the most polished 20 year old goalie we've had in the system that I can ever recall.

Bob was incredibly talented, but he was unrefined, his positioning was very flawed, and he got by chiefly on pure athletic skill.

But Hart looked beyond his years with his tracking, angles, and composure.
Sure, but his 2nd AHL game didn't go great so he's a bust.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad