GDT: #7: FLYERS 3 at Blue Jackets 6, Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hate Ron Hextall so god damned much.
He is almost very literally holding this organization hostage.

Thats how it feel to me too. His arrogance and/or incompetence that he masquerades as "patience" is absolutely infuriating. One thing is for sure, for better or worse, this bullshit would not have been able to fly if we didnt lose Snider.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim was facing a Bob who had the angle perfectly covered, his pass to Voracek was a very good move. Voracek had open net and he hit iron.

He had the entire net to shoot at, he wasn't off the side or on top of the net, nice pass to Voracek but most of those don't work.
Thing I saw with Bob is you can't beat him low, he's too quick, shoot high and he'll miss or give up rebounds.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Watching a team like Boston right now just pisses me off more about the Flyers current situation.

Yeah they were able to win a Cup, return to the finals 2 years later, take a brief step back, hire the right coach, and quickly return to being a great team..all without babying prospects and favoring trash veteran try-hards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thats how it feel to me too. His arrogance and/or incompetence that he masquerades as "patience" is absolutely infuriating. One thing is for sure, for better or worse, this bull**** would not have been able to fly if we didnt lose Snider.

Snider would have packaged 6 prospects for Price and his contract.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I love how the best players get excused from awful games.

Another meh effort from Ghost - Provorov, better than the last few games but still too many sloppy mistakes.
Voracek was awful, a "MacDonald" special that almost led to one goal, over skated the puck that lead to the last goal, didn't get back and was partially responsible for another goal.

TK played a great game except for his mindfart where Weise took one point man and TK just froze in the center of the ice, covering slush.
Lindblom - Weal - TK were hands down our best line, and you can see how good they'll be when Patrick returns and gets into a groove.
Problem is what to do with Weal, he showed he should never be on a checking line, defensively he's a black hole, 3rd line center? Vorobyev 4C?

Sanheim had a wide open shot, passed, Giroux had a wide open shot, passed resulting in a rush the other way and a goal, Simmonds had a wide open shot, pass deflected, rush other way for a goal - SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK when you're within 15 feet with a wide open shot.

Hagg - Folin had a bad game but they weren't responsible for most of the goals scored when they were on the ice. Team effort. Folin had that really bad moment but your goalie has to make that play.

Trade Simmonds while he still has value, he simply shouldn't be on the ice at ES, he's that bad, can't pass, can't puck handle, his skating has fallen off, stick a fork in him. Unfortunately, until JVR returns we need to keep Simmonds around for the PP1.

Lehtera - Knight were fine for the 6 minutes they played at ES, just give them something better at LW than Weise, say Raffl? Knight had a great pass to Raffl.

And of course, Pickard actually makes me want to see Elliott back in goal.

You wanted wide open hockey? This is what it looks like when you have Elliott/Pickard and the other team has Bob.
At least "boring" hockey gave us a shot at beating MAF.

By the way, Sanheim was 3rd in ES minutes at 17:06 and TK was 4th among forwards at 14:39 - they don't get more time b/c PP2 sucks.
Folin, Hagg and Gudas played close to 2 minutes on 2 PKs and gave up zero goals.

this was the game that makes you rethink the ghost provy combo. It worked last year. It is clearly not working now. Both are having a lot of difficulty in their own zone and it needs to be addressed.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Watching a team like Boston right now just pisses me off more about the Flyers current situation.

Boston was a similar revelation for me at the end of Lavi's tenure. When our transition game was horrendous and consisted of trying to bumblef*** the puck entirely along the boards up the ice, and then that could be compared to Boston using the entire ice surface to move the puck through open space. It looked so luxurious.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Don't forget his original, Michael Del Zotto. Could be a healthy scratch two games in a row, then play 25 minutes the next night.

I've known he was a ****ing idiot since then. And that was a long time ago.

Yep. It's not a five-game stretch, or a 10-game stretch, or any other SSS - it's 265 games full of bad patterns and Morgan Frosties (AKA actual red flags).

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I love how the best players get excused from awful games.

Another meh effort from Ghost - Provorov, better than the last few games but still too many sloppy mistakes.
Voracek was awful, a "MacDonald" special that almost led to one goal, over skated the puck that lead to the last goal, didn't get back and was partially responsible for another goal.

TK played a great game except for his mindfart where Weise took one point man and TK just froze in the center of the ice, covering slush.
Lindblom - Weal - TK were hands down our best line, and you can see how good they'll be when Patrick returns and gets into a groove.
Problem is what to do with Weal, he showed he should never be on a checking line, defensively he's a black hole, 3rd line center? Vorobyev 4C?

Sanheim had a wide open shot, passed, Giroux had a wide open shot, passed resulting in a rush the other way and a goal, Simmonds had a wide open shot, pass deflected, rush other way for a goal - SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK when you're within 15 feet with a wide open shot.

Hagg - Folin had a bad game but they weren't responsible for most of the goals scored when they were on the ice. Team effort. Folin had that really bad moment but your goalie has to make that play.

Trade Simmonds while he still has value, he simply shouldn't be on the ice at ES, he's that bad, can't pass, can't puck handle, his skating has fallen off, stick a fork in him. Unfortunately, until JVR returns we need to keep Simmonds around for the PP1.

Lehtera - Knight were fine for the 6 minutes they played at ES, just give them something better at LW than Weise, say Raffl? Knight had a great pass to Raffl.

And of course, Pickard actually makes me want to see Elliott back in goal.

You wanted wide open hockey? This is what it looks like when you have Elliott/Pickard and the other team has Bob.
At least "boring" hockey gave us a shot at beating MAF.

By the way, Sanheim was 3rd in ES minutes at 17:06 and TK was 4th among forwards at 14:39 - they don't get more time b/c PP2 sucks.
Folin, Hagg and Gudas played close to 2 minutes on 2 PKs and gave up zero goals.

WJi6LcT.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He had the entire net to shoot at, he wasn't off the side or on top of the net, nice pass to Voracek but most of those don't work.
Thing I saw with Bob is you can't beat him low, he's too quick, shoot high and he'll miss or give up rebounds.

Bob was positioned between him and any goal.

But if you ignore Bob, yeah, that entire net was right there. Sanheim has not showed any shooting shyness at any point yet. That was a good call and it should've paid off. Voracek missed.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah they were able to win a Cup, return to the finals 2 years later, take a brief step back, hire the right coach, and quickly return to being a great team..all without babying prospects and favoring trash veteran try-hards.

If we had Marchand (22), Krejci (24), Seguin (19), Bergeron (25), Lucic (22), Horton (25), Chara (33), Wheeler (24) as our core players, I'll bet we could do that too!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

I get to see the Devils a lot because of where I live and who I live with. Now THAT is infuriating. A team of mostly regular-ass NHL players with only a few standouts (Hall, Vatanen, Hischier, Palmieri) that happens to be good, because they are well-constructed, well-coached, and play with a ton of heart and brains.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I get to see the Devils a lot because of where I live and who I live with. Now THAT is infuriating. A team of mostly regular-ass NHL players with only a few standouts (Hall, Vatanen, Hischier, Palmieri) that happens to be good, because they are well-constructed, well-coached, and play with a ton of heart and brains.

They looked like a better "team" than us all last season too. We just have more front-loaded firepower that will us to points.

I said it the other day, but this Flyers roster playing Devils hockey with Hynes as coach would compete for the Metro crown. Im positive.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, the last few games make me optimistic.
1) Provorv - Ghost will play better
2) Lindblom - TK are going to blossom with Patrick
3) Eventually we're going to put together a really dangerous bottom six
4) Sanheim - Gudas are settling in as our 2nd pair

If we had an above average goalie, our record would probably be 5-2 and Hextall would be lauded as a genius around here.
Not a great goalie, say Leighton in 2009-10 or Mason in 2013-14.
A goalie who makes all the routine saves and just some of the tough ones.

But if you're Hextall, you have Hart in the AHL, Sandstrom will probably be there next year, Federov/Utimenkto in 2-3 years.
Do you break the bank for a veteran goalie over 30?
Do you trade for a young backup who might not be as good as the kids you have?
Do you grit your teeth, and wait for Neuvirth/Lyon/Stolarz to get healthy and hopefully salvage this season?
Pickard was a better move than Mrazek b/c he cost nothing.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They looked like a better "team" than us all last season too. We just have more front-loaded firepower that will us to points.

I said it the other day, but this Flyers roster playing Devils hockey with Hynes as coach would compete for the Metro crown. Im positive.

Not with these goalies they wouldn't.
Kincaid is playing out of his gourd, .961 S%.
Last year he kept them in the playoff run, folded in the playoffs and Schneider pulled a "Neuvirth."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad