GDT: #7: FLYERS 3 at Blue Jackets 6, Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

giphy.gif

on 2nd thought. That was one of the weakest backhand attempts i've ever seen.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Sanheim was facing a Bob who had the angle perfectly covered, his pass to Voracek was a very good move. Voracek had open net and he hit iron.

The other angle showed Sanheim made the correct decision, a very decision.

I didn;t watch the 3rd period but Sanheim played well in the first 2 periods.

I don't understand why he fingered Sanheim in his post.

Maybe he get scratched when Amac comes back,

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Snider would have packaged 6 prospects for Price and his contract.
1000% fine with me.

Beats the absolute piss out of missing the playoffs every other year, having not won a playoff series in 7-years, and not even making an attempt to win at all over the last 5 even though our core players have been in their prime during the last 5-years. Hextall's goal is to MAYBE win a playoff round. That would be a successful season for him. That's how far this organizations expectations have fallen.
It's embarrassing.

I understand this is Hockey's "Future" and there is an infatuation with tomorrow, but the uncomfortable questions is what happens if tomorrow never comes?
What if these picks and players don't meet expectations?

As far as I'm concerned, Ron Hextall is building for a future we will NEVER see so long has he is calling the shots. He's gotten us this far. Ron Francis got the Carolian Hurricanes to a certain point but his overvaluing of his own playrs & prospects stunted the Hurricanes growth. I mean Don Waddell is literally one of the worst GM's in NHL history, but he comes in not afraid to make trades and wouldn't you know what happened? Carolina looks p fantastic cause he made moves to a stale group.

Ron Hextall is no different than Ron Francis. I wish he would join Franics in the "I blew my chance at my NHL GM dream job" line.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This seems to be a very big issue. This team just can’t play well now. And when they do they can be consistent. They always makena mad dash to the end. There’s a lot of deep seeded issues here. I think they need a well respected good coach. A lot of them are gone now.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
It is interesting to see Hak getting pissed so early in the season.

Benching Amac, pulling elliott, calling a timeout, his comments after tonight...hes actually reacting like a coach should for once. Hes never done this much in the psst.

Im curious if this is a result of pressure on him from above.

Nah, he's just pissed we have no loser points yet this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did you know you can evaluate a team and how it plays independent of their goaltenders?

Actually you can't, because when you have a solid goalie you play with confidence b/c every mistake (and every player makes some, including this board's "local heros") doesn't end up in the back of the net.
And a really good goalie allows you to be more aggressive, knowing he'll CYA.

On the other hand, bad goalies make a team play tight, knowing they can't make a mistake and most nights they'll need 5 goals to have a chance of winning.

Hmm, does that sound like any team we're watching?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Actually you can't, because when you have a solid goalie you play with confidence b/c every mistake (and every player makes some, including this board's "local heros") doesn't end up in the back of the net.

On the other hand, bad goalies make a team play tight, knowing they can't make a mistake and most nights they'll need 5 goals to have a chance of winning.

Yes, you can.

That's why it was perfectly possible to judge that the Flyers skaters under Lavi and his system were playing brilliantly, even while the goalies sucked. Did you forget about that?

That's also why it's easy to tell that the Flyers under Hakstol and his system are playing like a disjointed, incoherent mess, regardless of what the goalies are doing.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I love how the best players get excused from awful games.

Another meh effort from Ghost - Provorov, better than the last few games but still too many sloppy mistakes.
Voracek was awful, a "MacDonald" special that almost led to one goal, over skated the puck that lead to the last goal, didn't get back and was partially responsible for another goal.

TK played a great game except for his mindfart where Weise took one point man and TK just froze in the center of the ice, covering slush.
Lindblom - Weal - TK were hands down our best line, and you can see how good they'll be when Patrick returns and gets into a groove.
Problem is what to do with Weal, he showed he should never be on a checking line, defensively he's a black hole, 3rd line center? Vorobyev 4C?

Sanheim had a wide open shot, passed, Giroux had a wide open shot, passed resulting in a rush the other way and a goal, Simmonds had a wide open shot, pass deflected, rush other way for a goal - SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK when you're within 15 feet with a wide open shot.

Hagg - Folin had a bad game but they weren't responsible for most of the goals scored when they were on the ice. Team effort. Folin had that really bad moment but your goalie has to make that play.

Trade Simmonds while he still has value, he simply shouldn't be on the ice at ES, he's that bad, can't pass, can't puck handle, his skating has fallen off, stick a fork in him. Unfortunately, until JVR returns we need to keep Simmonds around for the PP1.

Lehtera - Knight were fine for the 6 minutes they played at ES, just give them something better at LW than Weise, say Raffl? Knight had a great pass to Raffl.

And of course, Pickard actually makes me want to see Elliott back in goal.

You wanted wide open hockey? This is what it looks like when you have Elliott/Pickard and the other team has Bob.
At least "boring" hockey gave us a shot at beating MAF.

By the way, Sanheim was 3rd in ES minutes at 17:06 and TK was 4th among forwards at 14:39 - they don't get more time b/c PP2 sucks.
Folin, Hagg and Gudas played close to 2 minutes on 2 PKs and gave up zero goals.
This is so bad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't care about Hakstol and I don't care about the playoffs.
I'd much rather deep six this season than make a bad desperation trade for a goaltender.

Because once Hart is ready, we have the best goalie prospect in the NHL on the doorstep.
And we're not asking him to be the savior, just be a real goalie.

For this season, I'm betting on Lyon/Neuvirth taking over by November, Stolarz pushing for a shot by spring, and if Hart progresses, he could pull a "Murray" and be our playoff goalie.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

Hmm, does that sound like any team we're watching?
The same happens if you are punished for every mistake or not. The last thing we need is mac hagg or folin gaining confidence from a lack of accountability. But please let’s make sure any other player that’s not veterany gets punish

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yes, you can.

That's why it was perfectly possible to judge that the Flyers skaters under Lavi and his system were playing brilliantly, even while the goalies sucked. Did you forget about that?

That's also why it's easy to tell that the Flyers under Hakstol and his system are playing like a disjointed, incoherent mess, regardless of what the goalies are doing.

This is just undeniable at this point, by any reasonable standard, and has been the case far too often over the past 265 games for anyone to deny that he is in way, way over his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad