Injury Report: 7/15 update | Crosby will not have wrist surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
It would certainly be interesting to compare what posters wrote directly after the incident to what they're writing right now. I bet there's a couple of nice 180s. Sadly, this is par for the course when a player leaves the team.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the thing that pisses me off the most is Bylsma's use of Crosby. It's one thing to play through an injury, but the best player in the world had a serious wrist injury and the playoffs were locked up. Why keep sending him out for face-off after face-off? Why have him play his normal "do everything" role?

You can play him 18-20 minutes a game and make them easier.

Gotta win 82 regular season games, Dan.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Every now and again guys like that have to fight, yes. Even once or twice a season. They don't have to engage in some haymaker fest, just throw a punch and then hang on for dear life.

Otherwise you put your teammates in the position of defending you constantly. Even guys like Cooke will drop the gloves in rare occasions solely to avoid this situation. Iggy got it out of the way immediately when he came to us against Boston.

That's why Iggy has a good rep around the league, and Orpik and Kronwall are considered gutless and yellow.

And for the record, no one can say all of Kronwall's hits are legal with a straight face. For some reason the league looks the other way on the guy, I've never been able to figure it out.

who has ever had to defend Orpik? When has there ever been a real issue after a hit aside from Thornton losing it and attacking him?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
who has ever had to defend Orpik? When has there ever been a real issue after a hit aside from Thornton losing it and attacking him?

I'm not really sure :laugh:

There may have been issues, but I can't think of many. Also, what is this "Orpik has built a reputation of being 'yellow' around the league"? Where can I find these league wide opinions of players? Is there a database somewhere?

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Orpik has had his share of boarderline to bad hits. Eric Cole was never the same after Orpik broke his neck. When you combine that style of play, and rarely ever fight, you will get the "yellow" tag in hockey. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's the way it is. (However, if memory serves me right, I think he fought Cole after Cole recovered.)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Orpik has had his share of boarderline to bad hits. Eric Cole was never the same after Orpik broke his neck. When you combine that style of play, and rarely ever fight, you will get the "yellow" tag in hockey. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's the way it is. (However, if memory serves me right, I think he fought Cole after Cole recovered.)

Who the hell cares? You win games by scoring more goals than the other team, not by earning imaginary man points.

I cannot describe how annoyed I am to be defending Brooks Orpik right now. But seriously, there are 1000 legit reasons to criticize the guy. This isn't one of them.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I'm not really sure :laugh:

There may have been issues, but I can't think of many. Also, what is this "Orpik has built a reputation of being 'yellow' around the league"? Where can I find these league wide opinions of players? Is there a database somewhere?

Who the hell cares? You win games by scoring more goals than the other team, not by earning imaginary man points.

I cannot describe how annoyed I am to be defending Brooks Orpik right now. But seriously, there are 1000 legit reasons to criticize the guy. This isn't one of them.

I wasn't piling on Orpik. I was responding to Shady's question of how he got this reputation. I wasn't saying he deserved it, but just that is how the hockey world is. I even pointed out that he indeed fought Cole after he recovered.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wasn't piling on Orpik. I was responding to Shady's question of how he got this reputation. I wasn't saying he deserved it, but just that is how the hockey world is. I even pointed out that he indeed fought Cole after he recovered.

You're right, I'm more annoyed with the other people I've been debating this with.

Like you said, the hockey world thinks this way. As much as I love hockey, I really think old school hockey opinions are idiotic.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Orpik was an awful teammate and I'm glad he's gone. When Tocchet said the kind of toughness we want is the willingness to take a hit to make a play, the first thing I thought of was Orpik and his passing into everyone's skates all night or just coughing it up to avoid contact. Not to mention I can't ever recall him coming to a teammates' defense.

And then he goes and shoots his mouth off to the press and in the room about everything wrong with the team.

If he was less gutless we would be scored on less. His gutless ness applies to every facet of his game. Aiastelmon's right.

Orpik letting an opposing forward camp out in front of Fleury was a result of a) him trying to protect himself by keeping an eye on where the puck is coming from or b) taught by the coaching staff to front the puck. Although b) is more likely as many have pointed out before, I don’t think a) is completely negated, especially considering much of the front the man theory usually entails that the defensive player try to block the shot. And the physical confrontation known as checking a player after he’s scored goes on the Orpik gutless checklist – let’s face it, Orpik knows a player will be more happy he scored as opposed to angry he hit them….he knows physical confrontation is not coming.

I am thrilled Orpik is gone. There are 1000 reasons to criticize him. The fact that he doesn't fight people after he makes big hits isn't one of them.

I don’t disagree. His gutless play saturates throughout his entire game though.

but if he fought after his hits, he would be a less effective player. Fighting would just get him sent to the box, and he's almost certainly better than whoever is trying to fight him. Add in the fact that he actually draws penalties a lot of the time, and he would be stupid to fight in those situations. The goal is to win games, not be respected by fans of other teams.

so the best answer for why guys like Orpik and Kronwall should fight is karma. :laugh:

You’re not wrong. Kronwall just rubs me the wrong way. I think his hits are predatory and not definitively clean most of the time. He targets mostly finesse players in vulnerable positions and attempts to injure them. His older hits of leaving his feet were pretty blatant, but his new tactic is much more underhanded. Now he takes backwards steps (cleverly avoiding charging) and backs his ass into the midsection of the player, forcing the opponents upper body to bend down at the waist, only to raise his back/shoulder pads into the forward leaning face of the opposing player. Once he’s thrust himself into the player’s face, it’s easy to say his feet are coming up just due to contact. He’s trying to injure by targeting the head while hiding behind a technicality. His intent is the same as a player throwing a dirty hit. I have zero sympathy when players throwing dirty hits are attacked. Kronwall falls into that category to me.

It would certainly be interesting to compare what posters wrote directly after the incident to what they're writing right now. I bet there's a couple of nice 180s. Sadly, this is par for the course when a player leaves the team.

Not true. I haven’t seen anyone say Thornton wasn’t a POS, just like everyone was saying after the incident.

the thing that pisses me off the most is Bylsma's use of Crosby. It's one thing to play through an injury, but the best player in the world had a serious wrist injury and the playoffs were locked up. Why keep sending him out for face-off after face-off? Why have him play his normal "do everything" role?

Stay on topic!

I’m sure Sid had a lot of say in whether he was going to sit, but how you could watch him biff passes and shots and not sit him….pretty inexcusable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You may think he has that reputation. Other fanbases may think that. I was asking, mostly tongue in cheek, how people seem to know what players, coaches, and management think about Brooks Orpik? All I know recently about him is that Washington thought enough of him to pay him 5.5mil for 5 years. While the contract is stupid, it's obvious he is valued, "yellow" and all.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You may think he has that reputation. Other fanbases may think that. I was asking, mostly tongue in cheek, how people seem to know what players, coaches, and management think about Brooks Orpik? All I know recently about him is that Washington thought enough of him to pay him 5.5mil for 5 years. While the contract is stupid, it's obvious he is valued, "yellow" and all.

Torts went on a rant about us because of him, but he called us arrogant, not gutless. Because even John Tortarella thinks the word gutless is stupid.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Torts went on a rant about us because of him, but he called us arrogant, not gutless. Because even John Tortarella thinks the word gutless is stupid.

Torts went on a rant about Crosby and Malkin as well. Regardless, this feels so weird because I don't even like Orpik and am glad he's gone.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

It was Biron that called Orpik's hit on Stepan "gutless and dirty" There's just as many quotes like that about Neal's hit on Marchand in the Orpik/Thornton game.

Neal was a selfish idiot in that game too, but all the stupidity that followed Orpik's hit could have been resolved if Orpik had dropped the gloves and hugged Thornton for 10 seconds.

We're pretty far off topic at this point though. Sid's healthy! I'm stoked.

During a year where Crosby had a bad wrist for a large portion of the season (and played in the Olympics), and DB has him leading the league in draws by a pretty wide margin. Pretty baffling.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Stay on topic!

I’m sure Sid had a lot of say in whether he was going to sit, but how you could watch him biff passes and shots and not sit him….pretty inexcusable.

:laugh:

I hadn't been reading the thread. I just realized this was about Orpik.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Every now and again guys like that have to fight, yes. Even once or twice a season. They don't have to engage in some haymaker fest, just throw a punch and then hang on for dear life.

Otherwise you put your teammates in the position of defending you constantly. Even guys like Cooke will drop the gloves in rare occasions solely to avoid this situation. Iggy got it out of the way immediately when he came to us against Boston.

That's why Iggy has a good rep around the league, and Orpik and Kronwall are considered gutless and yellow.

And for the record, no one can say all of Kronwall's hits are legal with a straight face. For some reason the league looks the other way on the guy, I've never been able to figure it out.

Never understood the NHL's Kronwall favoritism either.

Kronwall's lined up. Turns at the last second to draw a boarding penalty. NHL: You can't do that to NK! 5 games.

B Schenn's lined up. Turns at the last second to draw a board. NHL: Hey princess, why don't you take that hit like a man next time.

Makes no sense to me at all.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Bylsma no understand injuries good. He also put Crosby with a bad wrist on a line with Bennett with a bad wrist for a bit... then eventually with Gibbons. Didn't it take Malkin saying something to have them put together? That and Crosby hadn't played that many games in awhile in general.

Not everyone is the god known as Adams, DB!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Crosby wanted to show the league and all the fans he could play a full season. If Sid says he wants to play, do you think Dan will say no? Sid not an idiot, he would have sat out and healed if he thought his play in the post season would have been greatly effected. All the reports say that Sid didn't consider surgery until recently.

You need to think before jumping on people, everything follows a logic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Crosby wanted to show the league and all the fans he could play a full season. If Sid says he wants to play, do you think Dan will say no? Sid not an idiot, he would have sat out and healed if he thought his play in the post season would have been greatly effected. All the reports say that Sid didn't consider surgery until recently.

Another great defense of Bylsma. Well done sir.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

it is dan bylsma's job and responsibility to say no. if he cared more about the postseason than his own regular season win numbers maybe he would have done the right thing. luckily he's gone now

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
it is dan bylsma's job and responsibility to say no. if he cared more about the postseason than his own regular season win numbers maybe he would have done the right thing. luckily he's gone now

this was pretty clearly his intention based on personnel and development decisions, but i guess im just dumbfounded how an organization ever allows itself to think - in a league where only the cup means anything - that this is an okay strategy.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Why do you think that? Other pens players have been injured and they've been given time off as much as they need to heal. Why would Dan make a special case for Sid? Malkin got injured and sat out till he healed. It seems obvious to me it was a decision made by Sid to play. If your captain wants to play, let him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
this was pretty clearly his intention based on personnel and development decisions, but i guess im just dumbfounded how an organization ever allows itself to think - in a league where only the cup means anything - that this is an okay strategy.

I'd imagine it happens when your coach thinks he's a star who gets praised endlessly by the ass kissing media for his regular season record, and your GM is too concerned with keeping the idiot coach. I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not...

Shero was in win now mode (but had to stick with Bylsma and Fleury, and wouldn't handle the wingers, because fired) and I suppose thought it was part of a winning environment (lol, Ray). Bylsma was just a moron and I'm convinced he never learned how to prepare a team for the playoffs in any way, that's the big one. Bylsma didn't know what to do and Shero was an enabler with him.

I'd say there was an element of financial security to it but that strategy ended up hurting ticket sales by the end because everyone knew how it would inevitably go. So, either they botched that or it wasn't the plan... they probably botched it.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that a change in mentality will also help with the injury plague and keeping players fresher for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad