Injury Report: 7/15 update | Crosby will not have wrist surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Why do you think that? Other pens players have been injured and they've been given time off as much as they need to heal. Why would Dan make a special case for Sid? Malkin got injured and sat out till he healed. It seems obvious to me it was a decision made by Sid to play. If your captain wants to play, let him.

if it hurts your long term chance at the cup, a good coach would tell his captain he needs to sit.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Why do you think that? Other pens players have been injured and they've been given time off as much as they need to heal. Why would Dan make a special case for Sid? Malkin got injured and sat out till he healed. It seems obvious to me it was a decision made by Sid to play. If your captain wants to play, let him.

because i've never heard a player that was medically cleared and returning from an injury say anything other than "it's up to the coach" when asked if they would be returning that night or the next game

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
because i've never heard a player that was medically cleared and returning from an injury say anything other than "it's up to the coach" when asked if they would be returning that night or the next game

you're also not going to hear players who are medically cleared say they should sit. The coach needs to make that decision if its the right one.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby didn't even have to sit out if he was set on playing. JUST STOP SENDING HIM OUT FOR FACE-OFF AFTER FACE-OFF and top defensive assignments. It's not that hard. Take off the Team Bylsma Hat and just use common sense and logic.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Didn't the percentage of face offs he won drop significantly, too? Why the hell was he taking so many if he was failing at it with an injury that wasn't improving?

Oh, yeah...
bylsma1_330.jpg

Crosby was obviously demanding it and holding Bylsma's child hostage to get his own way. Duh.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not trying to defend DB or anything, but Goc was hurt, and Vitale was really our only other strong f/o guy.

I think the conversation is missing the point. Sid very well might have demanded to play as much as possible despite being hurt. That doesn't matter. Tell the guy we need him in a few weeks, not right now.

The simplest answer to any DB fanboy rationale is that he was more worried about a regular season win in October than setting the team up for success in the postseason.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not trying to defend DB or anything, but Goc was hurt, and Vitale was really our only other strong f/o guy.

I think the conversation is missing the point. Sid very well might have demanded to play as much as possible despite being hurt. That doesn't matter. Tell the guy we need him in a few weeks, not right now.

The simplest answer to any DB fanboy rationale is that he was more worried about a regular season win in October than setting the team up for success in the postseason.

I think he really believed that the playoffs were just like any other game. I don't think he prepared anything differently come playoff time. Our game was our game. If we get to it, we should win. No need to adjust what that means. Pure arrogance and a lack of understanding the importance of actual coaching.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
if it hurts your long term chance at the cup, a good coach would tell his captain he needs to sit.
A coach follows the advice of the trainers and medical staff. If they tell him he can put a player in, the player himself says he's ready to go, and that player is Sidney Crosby, then no coach in the history of the universe is going to go against that information and 'rest' him at the business end of the season. Given that Crosby has required a few months of rehab for his wrist to recover, clearly a couple of weeks of rest wouldn't have made the slightest difference whatsoever, and furthermore there would be no empirical evidence at the time that a short rest would make any difference either.

I understand that the knives are still out, and there are a number of directions taken by Dan Bylsma that warrant scrutiny. This isn't one of them.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Here's DK's take on it from one of his recent Q&A's.

Question: Sidney Crosby hurt his wrist in a meaningless regular season game, yet he finished that game and every game down the stretch. Do you blame Sid, the trainers or Dan Bylsma for playing through pain that certainly, in hindsight, needed more attention/rest?

DK: Something like that’s always on the athlete. And by that, I mean an injury that’s not severe enough to require surgery — and remember, it never was — but that the athlete is adamant he can play through.

I remember at the game up in Winnipeg late in the regular season, Crosby was telling the group of us how important it was for him to get to 82 games, even joking that if you counted Sochi, he’d exceeded that. That was supported by info I’d heard behind the scenes that both Crosby and others in his camp were pushing Bylsma hard to have him play all 82. Now, Bylsma did sit Crosby the one game very late, but know that this was not easily achieved.

Sid wanted to play. Sid played. Sid played below par. End controversy.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
all that does is confirm that bylsma was afraid to sit crosby for more than one game. you cannot have a coach that is afraid of the players.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
A coach follows the advice of the trainers and medical staff. If they tell him he can put a player in, the player himself says he's ready to go, and that player is Sidney Crosby, then no coach in the history of the universe is going to go against that information and 'rest' him at the business end of the season. Given that Crosby has required a few months of rehab for his wrist to recover, clearly a couple of weeks of rest wouldn't have made the slightest difference whatsoever, and furthermore there would be no empirical evidence at the time that a short rest would make any difference either.

I understand that the knives are still out, and there are a number of directions taken by Dan Bylsma that warrant scrutiny. This isn't one of them.

The end results of Crosby's performance, the team going down in flames, and DB and Shero losing their jobs would seem to argue in the other direction.

At the very least, if you don't have the cajones to sit your injured star (which is a big problem), at least give him some easier assignments. Even with Goc injured, JJ is a pretty solid faceoff guy. Would it have been rocket science to put Sid with JJ and have JJ take the draw then have Sid take up the center duties? So we couldn't have done something like this?

JJ Sid Stemp/Neal
Kunitz Geno Stemp/Neal

DB screwed the pooch on this one.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Dejan is kind of King **** of Doucher Mountain these days, but he is right. This isn't complicated. And I don't even know what the post two posts above mine even means.

The end results of Crosby's performance, the team going down in flames, and DB and Shero losing their jobs would seem to argue in the other direction.

At the very least, if you don't have the cajones to sit your injured star (which is a big problem), at least give him some easier assignments. Even with Goc injured, JJ is a pretty solid faceoff guy. Would it have been rocket science to put Sid with JJ and have JJ take the draw then have Sid take up the center duties? So we couldn't have done something like this?

JJ Sid Stemp/Neal
Kunitz Geno Stemp/Neal

DB screwed the pooch on this one.
No coach would sit a player of Crosby's stature late in the season when the player says he's good to go and the trainers and medical staff have not advised that he shouldn't play. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

And again, it's pretty apparent it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Last edited:

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Dejan is kind of King **** of Doucher Mountain these days, but he is right. This isn't complicated. And I don't even know what the post two posts above mine even means.

No coach would sit a player of Crosby's stature late in the season when the player says he's good to go and the trainers and medical staff have not advised that he shouldn't play. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

And again, it's pretty apparent it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

i appreciate that reasoning, but what player of crosby's caliber ever truly believes that they can't play? i think a scotty bowman type coach would've convinced crosby to stay focused on the larger goal of winning the cup.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Bylsma simultaneously preached the meaninglessness of regular season games yet refused to sit an injured star because he was afraid of him. Simple as that

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Bylsma simultaneously preached the meaninglessness of regular season games yet refused to sit an injured star because he was afraid of him. Simple as that

Again... Dan isn't a doctor. Sid knows if he can play and you have no idea what conversation went on between them.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Again... Dan isn't a doctor. Sid knows if he can play and you have no idea what conversation went on between them.

The fill us in on the conversation, or stop bringing it up. As of right now you've said nothing to contradict the fact that Bylsma did not have the balls to sit his captain, except repeated empty allusions to something you have no knowledge of. If Daniel was half of an nhl coach he wouldn't NEED a doctor to tell him Crosby was injured. We didn't need it. We could tell, even though he denied it. Is Bylsma just that blind to you? Why didn't he have him take less faceoffs, if he was too afraid to sit him? Why didn't he do any number of things? Either start providing this special information you act like you have, or stop bringing it up.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
A thread that's not about Dan Bylsma or his misuse of players, turns into a thread about Dan Bylsma and his misuse of players. Shocking.

Closing. This is not a topic for ongoing discussion anyway. The surgery is kaput, nothing more to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad