Injury Report: 7/15 update | Crosby will not have wrist surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't even remember that hit. Was there a penalty and did someone try to kick his ass for that? I'm guessing a maybe for the first and a no for the second because we are pansies

No penalty was called because no penalty was committed. It was a good hit.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If there was an issue with the hit, someone should've gone after Steen. Not Reaves.

The hit was fine though. Hardly a hit at all, really. I don't think Reaves is skilled enough to time a hit like that, I think they just happened to collide.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Molinari reporting today that Sid is "finally pain-free". He also points out this:
The injury coincided with a striking decline in his production during the stretch drive and playoffs last season: Crosby entered the Blues game with 34 goals and 60 assists in 70 regular-season games, but had just three goals and 16 assists in the 23 regular-season and playoff games that followed.

He also confirms Kapanen's injury is a broken finger suffered at the Lake Placid U20 camp last month. Not that any of this is big news but hey, actual facts from an actual reporter instead of baseless drivel from a sulking attention *****.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Sounds like two injections "fixed" the problem? Hope it's a permanent fix.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not going to lie, the fact that clean hits need to be followed with fights or scrums annoys the hell out of me. Retribution for that kind of hit should be hitting him or his teammates back cleanly.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
I'm not going to lie, the fact that clean hits need to be followed with fights or scrums annoys the hell out of me. Retribution for that kind of hit should be hitting him or his teammates back cleanly.

Sometimes I think people can't handle contact sports.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Exactly.

Clean or not, this is the sort of stuff I want to see NONE of going forward. Stick up for your teammates, and lay retribution out if our stars get touched. Time to draw a line in the sand.

Trying to get retribution against Reaves is a losing game, he's a monster. You need guys like Downie and Carcillo trolling the other team's stars from the first shift of the game, and then Reaves spends the game chasing them around and taking penalties.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yeah me too. Defend Sid when he's getting slew footed by Dubinsky or punched in the head by Chara. No need to try to fight Reaves (whoever tried would get pummeled) for a mostly clean collision. Sure get pissed, but lay a huge hit on Steen or Oshie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah me too. Defend Sid when he's getting slew footed by Dubinsky or punched in the head by Chara. No need to try to fight Reaves (whoever tried would get pummeled) for a mostly clean collision. Sure get pissed, but lay a huge hit on Steen or Oshie.

Exactly. Would Sid feel any better if Engelland got beat up? Would Reeves stop trying to make those kinds of hits? No and No. How many times did guys go after Orpik after big hits? Pretty much every single time. Did Orpik ever stop going for big hits? Absolutely not.

You can stop Dubinsky and Staal from crosschecking Sid and taking liberties. You aren't going to stop a guy like Reaves or guys like Matt Martin or Chris Neil from hitting people. If they stop doing it, they are going to be out of a job. They want nothing more than to draw a penalty after they lay a big hit.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Trying to get retribution against Reaves is a losing game, he's a monster. You need guys like Downie and Carcillo trolling the other team's stars from the first shift of the game, and then Reaves spends the game chasing them around and taking penalties.

Godard could have done it, but yeah, ftmp, going after Reaves won't be productive.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Exactly. Would Sid feel any better if Engelland got beat up? Would Reeves stop trying to make those kinds of hits? No and No. How many times did guys go after Orpik after big hits? Pretty much every single time. Did Orpik ever stop going for big hits? Absolutely not.

You can stop Dubinsky and Staal from crosschecking Sid and taking liberties. You aren't going to stop a guy like Reaves or guys like Matt Martin or Chris Neil from hitting people. If they stop doing it, they are going to be out of a job. They want nothing more than to draw a penalty after they lay a big hit.

It's not about feeling better, it's about attaching cost to behavior. Reaves finish that check like that if he knows there's an off chance Jamie Devane one punches him before he's ready to defend himself? Maybe, maybe not. It's a virtual guarantee Marc Staal doesn't, though.

Ideal outcome is not fairness; it's Sid not having a hurt wrist. One way to achieve that is to make physical play against him a huge hassle. Giroux is smaller and less elusive than Crosby. Giroux almost never misses games. The reason for this is that the Flyers attack anyone who plays him physical. It's such a hassle that hardly anyone bothers.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It's not about feeling better, it's about attaching cost to behavior. Reaves finish that check like that if he knows there's an off chance Jamie Devane one punches him before he's ready to defend himself? Maybe, maybe not. It's a virtual guarantee Marc Staal doesn't, though.

Ideal outcome is not fairness; it's Sid not having a hurt wrist. One way to achieve that is to make physical play against him a huge hassle. Giroux is smaller and less elusive than Crosby. Giroux almost never misses games. The reason for this is that the Flyers attack anyone who plays him physical. It's such a hassle that hardly anyone bothers.

We've circled back to the enforcer debate. I may be in the minority, but I like carrying a Laraque or a Godard that is a nuclear bomb sitting on the bench, and who plays 6 minutes a night. I think it's criminal to have an asset like Crosby without the proper protection/deterrent on your team. You don't even need to dress the guy every night, obviously.

Nowadays we have plenty of forward depth to limit the minutes of an enforcer properly. And we won't end up with these halfass compromises like Glass, who cannot play hockey, and isn't any kind of deterrent.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I completely agree with Ogre and Shady on this one. I understand the whole "message sending" angle, yeah. But fighting after a clean hit is weak. I like big, well-timed hits, ya know? It's a big part of the game, for me. Obviously I don't like seeing one of "my guys" on the receiving end of a hit like that but I was always taught to be aware of your surroundings and who is on the ice. "Keep your head up," essentially. If you get caught admiring your own pass or something similar... that's on you.

There is also a "fog of war" aspect going on, though. **** happens fast.

Things also aren't always neat and tidy, either. The Reaves hit, for instance. The first thing that popped into my head was "What a dumb suicide pass... who was that? *sigh* Disco magic at work, again." Not "GO AFTER REAVES, YOU PANSIES!" That isn't on Crosby or Reaves, IMO.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
in a league where guys get attacked for clean hits we shouldn't be the first ones to stop attacking after clean hits

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
in a league where guys get attacked for clean hits we shouldn't be the first ones to stop attacking after clean hits

I guess that's fair. I'm just saying I don't like it. I also don't know how productive it actually is. I think it's far more productive to lay out Giroux, Kane, Tavares, whoever.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah, I mean... you certainly aren't wrong, there. Being nice and playing "fair" hasn't exactly paid dividends for the Penguins in recent years. But, to me, it's the same as some of the stuff being tossed around in the Carcillo thread. I get it... but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Painting a dim picture of fans who like the speed, grace and yeah... skill... of the sport seems... backwards, to me.

There's room for all of it. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Actually enforcing the rules would be a helpful start.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

so you are basically advocating what Thornton did to Orpik then? That's what you think we should do? Ya, that's stupid. Anybody who tries to one punch Reaves before he's ready to defend himself in that situation deserves a nice long suspension.

Also, I don't think Goddard on the ice with a loaded glock would stop Reaves from finishing that check. Guys like him will do that no matter what.

Now, if Dubinsky starts cross checking Sid in the head again then ya, somebody pull him off and punch him in the damn face. That is a completely different situation. If Dubinsky lands a clean hit on Sid, don't jump him. Line him up and put him into the 3rd row.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
so you are basically advocating what Thornton did to Orpik then? That's what you think we should do? Ya, that's stupid. Anybody who tries to one punch Reaves before he's ready to defend himself in that situation deserves a nice long suspension.

Also, I don't think Goddard on the ice with a loaded glock would stop Reaves from finishing that check. Guys like him will do that no matter what.

Now, if Dubinsky starts cross checking Sid in the head again then ya, somebody pull him off and punch him in the damn face. That is a completely different situation. If Dubinsky lands a clean hit on Sid, don't jump him. Line him up and put him into the 3rd row.

very much this. I don't think we brought in Downie and Carcillo (assuming he's signed) to stop Sid from getting laid out with clean checks. He's so elusive that it rarely happens. We brought them in to stop the cheap **** after the whistle, the hacks, whacks, slewfoots, etc. Well to stop them and to do the same to the other team's stars.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Again, a fan thinking one thing is fair and another thing isn't means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Orpik will very likely never throw another kill shot on a Boston player because the cost placed on that was too high. So Thornton accomplished his mission and affected the desired outcome. What he did will save Bergeron pain down the road, whether you consider it ethical or not.

The players think the way I'm describing. Until that changes (it won't) it's pointless to whine about fights after clean hits, which have been happening since year 1.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We've circled back to the enforcer debate. I may be in the minority, but I like carrying a Laraque or a Godard that is a nuclear bomb sitting on the bench, and who plays 6 minutes a night. I think it's criminal to have an asset like Crosby without the proper protection/deterrent on your team. You don't even need to dress the guy every night, obviously.

Nowadays we have plenty of forward depth to limit the minutes of an enforcer properly. And we won't end up with these halfass compromises like Glass, who cannot play hockey, and isn't any kind of deterrent.

I agree, but with the caveat that the guy in question needs to be able to play, at least as well as, say, a Payerl. Despite saving Orpik from getting Thorntoned one year early, I'm not sure I've seen a less effective player or enforcer than Steve MacIntyre pretty much ever.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree, but with the caveat that the guy in question needs to be able to play, at least as well as, say, a Payerl. Despite saving Orpik from getting Thorntoned one year early, I'm not sure I've seen a less effective player or enforcer than Steve MacIntyre pretty much ever.

there is not a playerthat would have stopped Thornton from attacking Orpik. And there is no player that would have stopped Orpik from making the hit that led up to it. And I honestly don't think Orpik will think twice before doing it again.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
there is not a playerthat would have stopped Thornton from attacking Orpik. And there is no player that would have stopped Orpik from making the hit that led up to it. And I honestly don't think Orpik will think twice before doing it again.

Neither do I. Especially because if Orpik did it again and Thornton sucker punched him again, he's getting a 25+ games suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad