Injury Report: 7/15 update | Crosby will not have wrist surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
there is not a playerthat would have stopped Thornton from attacking Orpik. And there is no player that would have stopped Orpik from making the hit that led up to it. And I honestly don't think Orpik will think twice before doing it again.

Someone else can link the video, but Orpik got himself in the exact same situation with Chris Neil and was about to get dropped until MacIntyre intervened. It's not something that guy x couldn't have stopped, it's something that guy x did stop.

Orpik's a coward. If he thinks he might come to harm, he changes the way he plays. He would rather be scored on than checked. He will not attempt to injure any Boston player again before he retires. Or a Florida player while Thornton's there. He'll be real, real gentle against those teams.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's the dirty stuff that I want a "policeman" around for, not clean hits. The crap Dubinsky got away with in the playoffs is the kind of stuff I'd like to see some toughness on this team to deal with.

At the very least, having guys like Downie and Carcillo might allow the Penguins to be the one playing "dirty" with the other team's top guys, rather than the other way around all the time.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's the dirty stuff that I want a "policeman" around for, not clean hits. The crap Dubinsky got away with in the playoffs is the kind of stuff I'd like to see some toughness on this team to deal with.

At the very least, having guys like Downie and Carcillo might allow the Penguins to be the one playing "dirty" with the other team's top guys, rather than the other way around all the time.

Penguins are already considered by many, to be the dirtiest team in the league. Remember that thread with the gifs of Dubs cheapshots on Crosby in the Cup section? There was a celebration going on in that thread, people spoke of justice being meted out.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Penguins are already considered by many, to be the dirtiest team in the league. Remember that thread with the gifs of Dubs cheapshots on Crosby in the Cup section? There was a celebration going on in that thread, people spoke of justice being meted out.

Jealousy, in any form, is an ugly thing. The have-nots will always be jealous of the haves and rejoice when things go against them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Be that as it may... I don't consider other teams' fanbases to be the final arbiters of what is dirty and what isn't. More often than not, their opinions are maybe a wee bit biased and tinged with ulterior motive. The Penguins' reputation as "dirty" and "cheap" is almost entirely born out of essentially the idiotic actions of two players. And not all of what they did was even that deserving of such vitriol (Cooke/Karlsson) The rest is varying degrees of overexposure (too much Crosby) and simple envy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Someone else can link the video, but Orpik got himself in the exact same situation with Chris Neil and was about to get dropped until MacIntyre intervened. It's not something that guy x couldn't have stopped, it's something that guy x did stop.

Orpik's a coward. If he thinks he might come to harm, he changes the way he plays. He would rather be scored on than checked. He will not attempt to injure any Boston player again before he retires. Or a Florida player while Thornton's there. He'll be real, real gentle against those teams.

he never attempted to injure a Boston player. And I completely disagree with you. The one who won't do what he did last time again is Thornton, because he knows he will be seeing a crazy long suspension if he does. If Orpik does it again, Thornton will get his attention before doing anything. He will get in his face. At worst, he will hit him at that point, but more likely he will just grab him, Orpik will just stand there and give him a smirk and then skate away. Its what he's done for years. Thornton isn't the first person to try to get back at Orpik, he's just the first to be a big enough piece of **** to jump him from behind and attack him on the ground.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If Orpik hit Eriksson that hard in that situation with the expectation he would not be injured, then he's a pretty stupid human being on top of being the gutless sort of waste that hands out sucker passes to avoid being hit.

Orpik's yellow. Everybody knows it now. If he's going to keep trying to take guys out, it won't be tolerated. So he'll just stop playing physical.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Orpik hit Eriksson that hard in that situation with the expectation he would not be injured, then he's a pretty stupid human being on top of being the gutless sort of waste that hands out sucker passes to avoid being hit.

Orpik's yellow. Everybody knows it now. If he's going to keep trying to take guys out, it won't be tolerated. So he'll just stop playing physical.

He has been playing this way his entire career. He hits hard. He wants it to hurt, but he isn't looking for injuries. It was a clean hit and there is no reason he should stop doing it. And he has no reason to fight anybody after doing it. What does he have to gain? Again, Thornton isn't the first to come after him after a hit. But most people aren't crazy people and they don't attack guys from behind and then keep hitting them when they are on the ice.

I can't believe you are putting the blame on that play on Orpik instead of Thornton. Thornton is the piece of **** from that situation, not Orpik. And there is no reason that situation would have changed anybody's opinion of Orpik.

I assume you think Kronwall is "yellow" too? Seriously, I can't believe this conversation is happening. You don't win games by being manly.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I keep accidentally reading the title as "Crosby will have wrist surgery". That would be so typical Penguins too.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I keep accidentally reading the title as "Crosby will have wrist surgery". That would be so typical Penguins too.

I half expect him to be out having surgery in the second half of the season. "Crosby Having Surgery, Now. Oops."

It might be surgery for something else, though. #PenguinLife :laugh:

This team has 2 injury threads on the first page and it's not even the pre-season. It's like 7 or so injuries/recoveries in the off season overall. :help:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He has been playing this way his entire career. He hits hard. He wants it to hurt, but he isn't looking for injuries. It was a clean hit and there is no reason he should stop doing it. And he has no reason to fight anybody after doing it. What does he have to gain? Again, Thornton isn't the first to come after him after a hit. But most people aren't crazy people and they don't attack guys from behind and then keep hitting them when they are on the ice.

I can't believe you are putting the blame on that play on Orpik instead of Thornton. Thornton is the piece of **** from that situation, not Orpik. And there is no reason that situation would have changed anybody's opinion of Orpik.

I assume you think Kronwall is "yellow" too? Seriously, I can't believe this conversation is happening. You don't win games by being manly.

Orpik was an awful teammate and I'm glad he's gone. When Tocchet said the kind of toughness we want is the willingness to take a hit to make a play, the first thing I thought of was Orpik and his passing into everyone's skates all night or just coughing it up to avoid contact. Not to mention I can't ever recall him coming to a teammates' defense.

And then he goes and shoots his mouth off to the press and in the room about everything wrong with the team.

Getting rid of him is perhaps the best upgrade we made this offseason.

Kronwall leaves the ice on half his hits, and it was much closer to 100% earlier in his career. He's got a rep for doing it all around the league.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Orpik was an awful teammate and I'm glad he's gone. When Tocchet said the kind of toughness we want is the willingness to take a hit to make a play, the first thing I thought of was Orpik and his passing into everyone's skates all night or just coughing it up to avoid contact. Not to mention I can't ever recall him coming to a teammates' defense.

And then he goes and shoots his mouth off to the press and in the room about everything wrong with the team.

Getting rid of him is perhaps the best upgrade we made this offseason.

Kronwall leaves the ice on half his hits, and it was much closer to 100% earlier in his career. He's got a rep for doing it all around the league.

I am thrilled Orpik is gone. There are 1000 reasons to criticize him. The fact that he doesn't fight people after he makes big hits isn't one of them.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Not trying to single you out, and I know this is the sort of mentality in the league even today, but I just can't stand **** like that.

If I was a coach wanting to get my team to respond to a big hit by Orpik, I'd tell my bottom six forwards to target him on the forecheck every chance they get and my skilled guys to burn him constantly by challenging him one on one and revealing just how overrated he is. Bruise the ego. Not execute some obsolete code of conduct.

If that makes me a bandwagon fan or a "new age" type, whatever. I enjoy hockey. Just not all of it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Actually you do win games by being manly. This is why teams use words like "sacrifice" as their playoff slogans, instead of "my responsibility ends with me." You do not win games by being putting your own well-being ahead of your teammates.

Kronwall is the most gutless turd in NHL history. Orpik's not that big of a coward, but he's been getting there the last few years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Actually you do win games by being manly. This is why teams use words like "sacrifice" as their playoff slogans, instead of "my responsibility ends with me." You do not win games by being putting your own well-being ahead of your teammates.

Kronwall is the most gutless turd in NHL history. Orpik's not that big of a coward, but he's been getting there the last few years.

So you're saying it would have helped us win more games had Orpik fought people after he made clean hits? I don't know why you are talking about what he does or doesn't do to stand up for other players or him being willing to take a hit to make a play. I'm not talking about that at all.

And Kronwall is a fantastic player. It would be idiotic for him to get into fights after his hits.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Not trying to single you out, and I know this is the sort of mentality in the league even today, but I just can't stand **** like that.

If I was a coach wanting to get my team to respond to a big hit by Orpik, I'd tell my bottom six forwards to target him on the forecheck every chance they get and my skilled guys to burn him constantly by challenging him one on one and revealing just how overrated he is. Bruise the ego. Not execute some obsolete code of conduct.

If that makes me a bandwagon fan or a "new age" type, whatever. I enjoy hockey. Just not all of it.

Handle it however you like (though in the case of players like Orpik or Kronwall, hitting on the forecheck won't work...Orpik will quit on the play and Kronwall will turn his back and draw a suspension), just understand why incidents like Thornton's happen--to affect favorable outcomes. It's communication as much as brutality. And, barbaric as it might seem, it works.

I don't like shot blocking, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't keep the puck out of the net. Good way to keep your star players healthy is to attach cost to playing them physically.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
So you're saying it would have helped us win more games had Orpik fought people after he made clean hits?

If he was less gutless we would be scored on less. His gutless ness applies to every facet of his game. Aiastelmon's right. The last core player I've been this happy to see gone was Kevin Hatcher, who was also gutless.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If he was less gutless we would be scored on less. His gutless ness applies to every facet of his game. Aiastelmon's right. The last core player I've been this happy to see gone was Kevin Hatcher, who was also gutless.

so you aren't talking about the same thing I'm talking about. You're talking about taking hits to make plays and standing up for teammates. That's great. We agree, Orpik sucks at those things. Doesn't change the fact that he has no obligation to fight or do anything other than continue playing after he makes a big hit. And he will continue to make big hits, even against Big Bad Thornton's team for as long as his body will let him. Which admittedly, might not be very long. He's a really bad player at this point.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Niklas Kronwall is a gutless punk. Him and Johan "tough guy" Franzen are my least favorite players.

The fact that Kronwall has never recorded a fighting major playing the way he does is disgusting. How many times has he left his feet to deliver big hits? If the instigator penalty was abolished, he wouldn't last a game in the NHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Niklas Kronwall is a gutless punk. Him and Johan "tough guy" Franzen are my least favorite players.

The fact that Kronwall has never recorded a fighting major playing the way he does is disgusting. How many times has he left his feet to deliver big hits? If the instigator penalty was abolished, he wouldn't last a game in the NHL.

but if he fought after his hits, he would be a less effective player. Fighting would just get him sent to the box, and he's almost certainly better than whoever is trying to fight him. Add in the fact that he actually draws penalties a lot of the time, and he would be stupid to fight in those situations. The goal is to win games, not be respected by fans of other teams.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Orpik is gutless. The incident with Thornton was entirely on Thornton being a *******, but it doesn't make Orpik any less gutless.

And Kronwall is such a weiny. Even if all of his hits were clean - I think the old leaving the feet hits and the new stick my ass into oncoming player while elevating my back into the head hits are all trash for the record - I still think there's an element of hockey karma that is left unchecked when a player plays the game with such violence and refuses to ever own up to the violence in the form of a fight. It just doesn't sit right with me.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Orpik is gutless. The incident with Thornton was entirely on Thornton being a *******, but it doesn't make Orpik any less gutless.

And Kronwall is such a weiny. Even if all of his hits were clean - I think the old leaving the feet hits and the new stick my ass into oncoming player while elevating my back into the head hits are all trash for the record - I still think there's an element of hockey karma that is left unchecked when a player plays the game with such violence and refuses to ever own up to the violence in the form of a fight. It just doesn't sit right with me.

I think that Kronwall is 1 of the dirtiest players in the league. His hits are clean, but I don't see how it isn't clear he's hitting with the intent to put his victim in a wheelchair. You don't look at someone with their head down and then turn your back into the hit to build momentum into the hit. That isn't taking someone out of the play anymore, its trying to maximize damage.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
so the best answer for why guys like Orpik and Kronwall should fight is karma. :laugh:

Every now and again guys like that have to fight, yes. Even once or twice a season. They don't have to engage in some haymaker fest, just throw a punch and then hang on for dear life.

Otherwise you put your teammates in the position of defending you constantly. Even guys like Cooke will drop the gloves in rare occasions solely to avoid this situation. Iggy got it out of the way immediately when he came to us against Boston.

That's why Iggy has a good rep around the league, and Orpik and Kronwall are considered gutless and yellow.

And for the record, no one can say all of Kronwall's hits are legal with a straight face. For some reason the league looks the other way on the guy, I've never been able to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad