Prospect Info: 6th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I get the point but hyperbole like this is just pointless.

2016: Matthew Tkachuk. Way better than Yak.
2015: Pavel Zacha. Same level of player.
2014: Jake Virtanen. Same level of player.
2013: Sean Monahan. Way better than Yak.
2012: Hampus Lindholm. Way better than Yak.
2011: Mika Zibanejad. Way better than Yak.
2010: Brett Connolly. Better than Yak now. Similar career before.
2009: OEL. Much better than Yak.
2008: filatov. total bust.
2007: Sam Gagner. Better career than Yak.

17 and 18 are still up in the air. Don't just spew nonsense.

We all know you can find gems late. This is the Wings. They are (were, at least, long ago) the embodiment of that. But to say it's nonsense to say that having a higher draft pick DIRECTLY correlates to finding a better player is incorrect. It's an obvious and direct correlation. And it's one that has only grown as organizations have begun actually doing their homework (something the 90s Wings didn't have to contend with). The NHL draft doesn't quite carry the significance of the NBA's, but it's probably the most impactful of the big 4 leagues beyond the NBA. And if you're happy with 6th overall, you're going to be watching a lot of these lotteries go by with nothing to show for it.

Drafting high was supposed to be the payoff of having low expectations. 6th overall is exceptionally disappointing for a team that looked like a bottom 1-2 franchise from the start of the year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Since most here are disappointed with the #6 pick, would it be worth it to explore using it in a package to trade for someone like Trouba?

Reactions: Snuggs

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
One possible big positive could be having Yzerman decide on our center. Kind trying to find the bright side of a train wreck, I know, but...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Since most here are disappointed with the #6 pick, would it be worth it to explore using it in a package to trade for someone like Trouba?

Trade maybe, Trouba no. I don't get all the hoopla about him, he has never impressed me, and legit doesn't seem to be a game changer at all, like the kind of player we need. If we can package 6 and other stuff to get a youngish impactful offensive defender I would be all for it.

Reactions: redwings25

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
One possible big positive could be having Yzerman decide on our center. Kind trying to find the bright side of a train wreck, I know, but...

You know what, I think Stevie is coming back to Detroit.............................................

to play Center!

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think not. I think they want Trouba because they are making a run now. A 6th pick could take years to develop. And even barring that they would be trading a good proven defender for an unproven prospect who is probably a forward. I don't think so.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Unfortunately, Stevie has kind of bungled the best draft picks he has had in TB.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Say it's Cozens-Podkolzin-Byram 3-4-5 and we have to decide which of Turcotte and Dach we want. Really it's which one would we rather not face because the other one is going to Buffalo, IMO.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think not. I think they want Trouba because they are making a run now. A 6th pick could take years to develop. And even barring that they would be trading a good proven defender for an unproven prospect who is probably a forward. I don't think so.

Yeah I mean idk if they would be interested but they have to consider trading him this offseason because he’s likely walking after next season. They can have one more run with Trouba after this year or they can get someone for him which could extend their window in the future even if it hurts them for one year.

If I’m a GM I probably choose option 2.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Well you see, I actually like Zegras, so I won’t agree with you there.

We just can't miss this year. We need a homerun. The Wings first round picks over the last 4 drafts have been underwhelming. There is lots of time for these players to prove themselves, but..

Svech in 2015 is not looking good right now. Next season is absoluetly huge for him. He has a lot to prove, but for the time being, this cannot be praised as a good pick.

Cholo is 2016 was fine. At the time it was head scratching, but after the first 40 games he had in the NHL last year, I'm ok with this pick.

Ras in 2017 wasn't great. At the time, people were upset, and questioned his upside. 2 years later, fans are still right to question his upside. He did not have a great rookie season.

Zadina in 2018. I have questioned him in the past, and stated how I am not happy at all with his play this year. He does not scream NHL star to me. He does have the talent to be an NHL player, but I don't think he is going to be a star. Other posters here get extremelly sensitive for some reason when Zadina is criticized, and I'd rather not get into long debates about him at the moment, but 1 year later, the pick is still a complete quesion mark.

We need to hit on a surefire player here. We need a player with first-line upside.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I think we need a bonafide #1 center more than anything, so whosever left at 6 with the best chance of being that, I’d take.

That said, it seems like only Hughes and Kakko are locked in at 1 and 2 and the skill set is pretty similar between 3-7 with most in that group constantly moving up or down in ranking. Or am I missing something?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

Fair, but #6 + is better than him walking away in a year for nothing. I'd be more worried that another team will offer an even bigger package. Kids a young top pairing D. He has value.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No. Younger players on ELC are needed in the salary cap era for cost control. TRading for older players puts us right back into salary cap hell. Instead of trading for Trouba, the team might as well go all in for Karlsson if we're gonna blow cap money.

Reactions: jkutswings

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
We just can't miss this year. We need a homerun. The Wings first round picks over the last 4 drafts have been underwhelming. There is lots of time for these players to prove themselves, but..

Svech in 2015 is not looking good right now. Next season is absoluetly huge for him. He has a lot to prove, but for the time being, this cannot be praised as a good pick.

Cholo is 2016 was fine. At the time it was head scratching, but after the first 40 games he had in the NHL last year, I'm ok with this pick.

Ras in 2017 wasn't great. At the time, people were upset, and questioned his upside. 2 years later, fans are still right to question his upside. He did not have a great rookie season.

Zadina in 2018. I have questioned him in the past, and stated how I am not happy at all with his play this year. He does not scream NHL star to me. He does have the talent to be an NHL player, but I don't think he is going to be a star. Other posters here get extremelly sensitive for some reason when Zadina is criticized, and I'd rather not get into long debates about him at the moment, but 1 year later, the pick is still a complete quesion mark.

We need to hit on a surefire player here. We need a player with first-line upside.

I feel like Veleno at this point might end up being our “true” 1st round pick from that draft.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yeah I mean idk if they would be interested but they have to consider trading him this offseason because he’s likely walking after next season. They can have one more run with Trouba after this year or they can get someone for him which could extend their window in the future even if it hurts them for one year.

If I’m a GM I probably choose option 2.
I hate to think of what that would cost us. We can't spare a whole lot.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
No. Younger players on ELC are needed in the salary cap era for cost control. TRading for older players puts us right back into salary cap hell. Instead of trading for Trouba, the team might as well go all in for Karlsson if we're gonna blow cap money.

Trouba is only 25. Is that old now? We have 15 M in cap space this year and like 15 more next year.

Reactions: Winger98

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah, Kuch, Point, Foote, are all players I'd never want in Detroit.

What? I’m talking about the top 10 picks he has had, not 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Whiffed on Connolly. Should have taken Jones over Drouin. Koekkek at 10 was a bust.

Kucherov and Point have nothing to do with what I’m taking about.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I feel like Veleno at this point might end up being our “true” 1st round pick from that draft.

Careful what you say, people here are overly sensitive when Zadina isn't praised. His world junior was terrible, his 9 game NHL stint was just ok, and his AHL season has been inconsistent. Yet people get mad when his play is even questioned.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Yeah maybe. It'd have to mean extension time but it's something to really consider I think.

Unless we wanna try the UFA and pay route. Keep the pick. Gamble/pay up time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad