Prospect Info: 6th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Someone cheer me up please. Give me some good news with these kids at 6
Look at the NHL draft over the last 10 years, specifically the top 5 picks in each of those drafts. Many busts in there. Picking in the top 5 doesn't guarantee you'll get a great player. It just means you'll get a great prospect. That prospect may turn into nothing.

Reactions: mantha39

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And Ras and Veleno for McDavid. Holland has won GM of the decade, and Woodward is renaned Red Wings Blvd

Also just watched a Leafs Alumni game, Al Iafrate scored with a bullet of a one handed slapper (no joke about bullet) and Wendel Clark looked pretty good. Maybe we sign them both.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Look at the NHL draft over the last 10 years, specifically the top 5 picks in each of those drafts. Many busts in there. Picking in the top 5 doesn't guarantee you'll get a great player. It just means you'll get a great prospect. That prospect may turn into nothing.

Uh... super bad take... Literally the only near surefire picks in the NHL draft are 1-2. The lower you go you become exponentially less likely to take anyone of value.

Even Yakupov's career is better than most 6th overalls and he's the exception to the rule.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yes Please... Him or Cozens at 6 would be really solid (if Byram is gone)

The thing I hate about all of these highlight videos is you can literally make every single player look good as it is only them doing awesome. Not a shot at Dach, but these videos in general.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Nobody after the second pick will have a good idea about their pick until after we see Podkolzin at the combine. But I would count on Byram being gone somewhere from 3-5. For us, it will be Podkolzin, Turcotte, Dach or Cozens, just depending on other teams. This is such a bad draft system.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The thing I hate about all of these highlight videos is you can literally make every single player look good as it is only them doing awesome. Not a shot at Dach, but these videos in general.
Amen to this, if anyone here wants to take a serious look at a guy go to prospectshifts.com

Reactions: Oddbob

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Doesn't make sense to move up two spots like that. Byram isn't touted as the next Ray Bourque is he?

He's no where near Bourque. If teams thought he would be that good he'd be in the top 3 conversation, and even a good pick for 1st of 2nd. He'd be in the Bouchard/Dobson/Hughes conversation last season if he were a year older.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The Wings seem to LOVE taking guys who drop. IF Podkolzin drops... they may take him. Besides that tendency, their other trend is to grab someone nobody was expecting, maybe Krebs?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Uh... super bad take... Literally the only near surefire picks in the NHL draft are 1-2. The lower you go you become exponentially less likely to take anyone of value.

Even Yakupov's career is better than most 6th overalls and he's the exception to the rule.
I get the point but hyperbole like this is just pointless.

2016: Matthew Tkachuk. Way better than Yak.
2015: Pavel Zacha. Same level of player.
2014: Jake Virtanen. Same level of player.
2013: Sean Monahan. Way better than Yak.
2012: Hampus Lindholm. Way better than Yak.
2011: Mika Zibanejad. Way better than Yak.
2010: Brett Connolly. Better than Yak now. Similar career before.
2009: OEL. Much better than Yak.
2008: filatov. total bust.
2007: Sam Gagner. Better career than Yak.

17 and 18 are still up in the air. Don't just spew nonsense.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
How so? What makes you want him over Dach or others.

Zegras is the second best playmaker in the draft imo. He may lack some of the overall game that the other players have, but I see shades of Marner in his offensive game.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I am hoping Turcotte falls, because I think, like Larkin, he could be in the NHL in his D+2.

Turcotte is my Hughes right now. I want that kid to be a Wing. I love his effort and talent and I think he will end up being great. I have to think about my list. My list after Turcotte would be easier if we were picking 4th lol.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
It's really crazy good group to pick.

1-2. are Kakko and Hughes
Podkolzin is pretty high ranked as 3.
Turcotte also ranked pretty high, maybe he goes to local Blackhawks and POdkolzin falls to 4th.
Then it's Byram going 5th to LAK or some center picked there.

That leaves us a group of:

Byram/Center
Cozens
Dach
Krebs
Zegras
Newhook

All of those centers are ranked to Top6 in different pre-draft rankings. We probably can pick a center of that almost equal 5-man group as the 2nd one who picks.

So 4 options. All centers. Not bad at all.

Nice to see that our board of whiners is nothing but whining in here, when the situation is GOOD.

Cure my "whining" with an NHL comparison for each prospect realistically will be there at #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad