Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Can’t wait to see people whining about his hits on the general boards

I dont remember the last time a high end prospect actually hit like he does on D, might be Luke Schenn? its been a long time though. Youre right people are gonna hate him. There isnt a lot of throwbacks left and hes going to be a guy that plays against other teams best players as well. At 17ish mins in that video he almost killed a guy

I'm surprised in the AHL he didnt get jumped ever. A lot of big hits and Seider doesnt back down in front of the net at all, he plays legit mean and no one got ahold of him down there, its surpsising

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Stanley

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I dont remember the last time a high end prospect actually hit like he does on D, might be Luke Schenn? its been a long time though. Youre right people are gonna hate him. There isnt a lot of throwbacks left and hes going to be a guy that plays against other teams best players as well. At 17ish mins in that video he almost killed a guy

I'm surprised in the AHL he didnt get jumped ever. A lot of big hits and Seider doesnt back down in front of the net at all, he plays legit mean and no one got ahold of him down there, its surpsising
Seth Jones has leveled quite a few guys.

Seider's a big kid, plus you go after him, then McIlrath is going after someone...

We'll see what happens in the NHL when he has no protector and players fight even after clean hits (which I hate).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Ristolainen, Zadarov and Carlo all could staple gun people to the boards at a very young age and just generally did things physically that said okay that dude is a man. Now I think somebody finally did kind of embarrass Zadarov. I think Seider had a better post-draft season than those guys. But I guess those would be the names I think of first in terms of first round talent players with some heavy bite and size.

Reactions: lomekian

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Seider's a big kid, plus you go after him, then McIlrath is going after someone...

We'll see what happens in the NHL when he has no protector and players fight even after clean hits (which I hate).

Jones and Hedman both kind of do it in a way where you're always like, damn I forgot how hard that guy can hit.

They don't always go there, but because of their size, skating and hockey IQ when they are executing a big hit it is generally a real big hit.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

19:13 he gives a poor kid the Scott Stevens

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ristolainen, Zadarov and Carlo all could staple gun people to the boards at a very young age and just generally did things physically that said okay that dude is a man. Now I think somebody finally did kind of embarrass Zadarov. I think Seider had a better post-draft season than those guys. But I guess those would be the names I think of first in terms of first round talent players with some heavy bite and size.

Zadorov definitely, I forgot about him. He was a first round pick but he wasnt nearly as touted as Seider. I was talking more top 10 top 5 type of players. Risto had similar hype I guess but I dont think he punished guys as much as Seider did. Carlo is a more strong along the boards guy and will move oyu around out front. He can throw the odd hit but hes not as big of a hitter or as touted as Seider either.

Either way, if you want to talk about first rounder types and include all those guys, there isnt many that would fit as harder hitting than Seider. The only one I would comfortably put with him/above him is Zadorov

Jones and Hedman both kind of do it in a way where you're always like, damn I forgot how hard that guy can hit.

They don't always go there, but because of their size, skating and hockey IQ when they are executing a big hit it is generally a real big hit.

The odd time they get ahold of someone they have the odd big hit, but I dont think of either of them much physically. I would take Seider over both as well (as far as throwing the body goes)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Zadorov definitely, I forgot about him. He was a first round pick but he wasnt nearly as touted as Seider. I was talking more top 10 top 5 type of players. Risto had similar hype I guess but I dont think he punished guys as much as Seider did. Carlo is a more strong along the boards guy and will move oyu around out front. He can throw the odd hit but hes not as big of a hitter or as touted as Seider either.

Either way, if you want to talk about first rounder types and include all those guys, there isnt many that would fit as harder hitting than Seider. The only one I would comfortably put with him/above him is Zadorov

The odd time they get ahold of someone they have the odd big hit, but I dont think of either of them much physically. I would take Seider over both as well (as far as throwing the body goes)

Seider is a throwback in terms of his hitting. I agree there, I liked how physical he was in what tape he had, but the way he modified to North America and how quickly he embraced the rugged stuff was amazing. Think of really his first live fire game in NA is him going after Dach and basically all the Hawks in a Traverse game. He loves to hit and hits with power for sure. Guy has incredible balance and timing already. He is still so young to, I think he is going to be a devastating hitter, but we will have to see how he weathers his first suspension or whatever else when he mistimes one, it will happen eventually. A lot of the wingers around the league are going to be upset when he does his reverse hit dump-ins from the neutral zone.

I was just throwing out recent prospects I thought had a plus tool in it pretty early on.

Seider relishes the contact and that stuff though, he is going to be hell to play against in a 7 game series. You cannot sleep on him being on the ice if you're an opposing team. If he continues on this arc he can be one of those guys in the league where when he is coming over the boards the other players let them know. That was always an interesting one, you could always here the Wings bench rattle off Pronger and certain guys. These guys know who goes out, he has some more developing to do but Seider has the frame and ability to be a nasty piece of business, I like that he likes that game. It is honestly the part of his development I am most pleased with, you didn't know if that was the kind of makeup mentally the athlete always looked pretty good on the tape, even with the limited minutes in his draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Stanley

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Me too. Next year the league should have more of a game plan for him and he'll have more of a target on his back. It'll be really interesting to see how he responds. I just hope he avoids injuries.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Gudbranson after Schenn was thought to be a pretty mean dude and big body checker. Obviously he didn't pan out into much, especially not a #3 overall and you felt that pretty early like with Reinhart that something was wrong, though he has got to continue having a career, but like with Bogosian he has certainly disappointed even if they found a way to ground out a decent stretch in the league.

McIlrath was looked at more as a reach of course some said the same about Seider. But McIlrath (top 10) was one of the scariest juniors I can remember. He reminded me of the late 80's and early 90s guys in that he was a legitimate tough guy and heavy hitter that just steamrolled kids everywhere on the ice. Just doesn't process the game well enough or skate fast enough. But he is a mean dude, you see that a lot on display down in Grand Rapids. He plays the game without a certain fear, he knows he is a scary dude and he likes it, just didn't make the NHL. I think Luke Schenn has some company I guess was my bigger one.

Not all of these guys have worked out, but I like that Seider looks like a minute eating smooth skating d-man. For most of the guys that failed, that was usually a big issue. Mo doesn't have that issue at all.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Gudbranson after Schenn was thought to be a pretty mean dude and big body checker. Obviously he didn't pan out into much, especially not a #3 overall and you felt that pretty early like with Reinhart that something was wrong, though he has got to continue having a career, but like with Bogosian he has certainly disappointed even if they found a way to ground out a decent stretch in the league.

McIlrath was looked at more as a reach of course some said the same about Seider. But McIlrath (top 10) was one of the scariest juniors I can remember. He reminded me of the late 80's and early 90s guys in that he was a legitimate tough guy and heavy hitter that just steamrolled kids everywhere on the ice. Just doesn't process the game well enough or skate fast enough. But he is a mean dude, you see that a lot on display down in Grand Rapids. He plays the game without a certain fear, he knows he is a scary dude and he likes it, just didn't make the NHL. I think Luke Schenn has some company I guess was my bigger one.

Not all of these guys have worked out, but I like that Seider looks like a minute eating smooth skating d-man. For most of the guys that failed, that was usually a big issue. Mo doesn't have that issue at all.

Seider reminds me a bit of an old Swede named Kjell Samuelssson. I think he's got the ability to be better offensively and play a more refined game though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Seider reminds me a bit of an old Swede named Kjell Samuelssson. I think he's got the ability to be better offensively and play a more refined game though.

Yeah, Kjell was a solid hitter. I always thought he was related to Ulf, the other feared Samuelsson.

Kjell is currently the Flyers Director of Player Development.

Samuelsson's son Mattias was drafted 32nd overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. Both of his sons, Lukas and Mattias, played hockey for Western Michigan University.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
@20:30 of the highlight vid, the opposing announcer recalls his question to Mo: "have you ever been in a fight?", Mo's response "No, but I know I'm about to get into one & I can't wait". :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's one thing to level a small Finnish U18 kid, it's a whole different story to level Tom Wilson:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I 100% guarantee if Wilson had that body positioning when Seider hit him he would fall. lol
tom-pilson.png

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

One of the reasons Givani Smith might well be a 4th line staple. Guy hasn't fought that much, but he is incredibly strong, and not averse to glove dropping. He won't be McIlrath, but he has the advantage of being able to skate!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I 100% guarantee if Wilson had that body positioning when Seider hit him he would fall. lol
tom-pilson.png

Take a look at this, my dude. Seider has shown several times he's pretty good at sending an opposing player making a run at him to the ice.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
@20:30 of the highlight vid, the opposing announcer recalls his question to Mo: "have you ever been in a fight?", Mo's response "No, but I know I'm about to get into one & I can't wait". :laugh:
Hope he is Chara, not Mantha

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's one thing to level a small Finnish U18 kid, it's a whole different story to level Tom Wilson:

Yeah Jones is a big guy, he plays a lot of minutes and is bound to have a big hit every now and then. That one is more awkward psitioning by Wilson than Jones being a big hitter though.

Seider as a first year pro in North America this year had more big hits than Jones does in his pro career probably. They arent comparable in that aspect. Same with Hedman

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah Jones is a big guy, he plays a lot of minutes and is bound to have a big hit every now and then. That one is more awkward psitioning by Wilson than Jones being a big hitter though.

Seider as a first year pro in North America this year had more big hits than Jones does in his pro career probably. They arent comparable in that aspect. Same with Hedman
Not comparable because Seider played in the AHL, and Jones never has.

We'll see if Seider can back his hits up by fighting, because you know that's what's gonna happen in the NHL. Off balance or not, if Seider is even willing to hit a guy like Wilson, then I'll be pretty damn happy.

I just don't get terribly excited about prospects until I see them in the NHL, that's just how I am because we've all been disappointed in the past.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

We'll see if Seider can back his hits up by fighting, because you know that's what's gonna happen in the NHL. Off balance or not, if Seider is even willing to hit a guy like Wilson, then I'll be pretty damn happy.

I just don't get terribly excited about prospects until I see them in the NHL, that's just how I am because we've all been disappointed in the past.
Seider leveled arguably the toughest guy in the AHL without hesitation. I don’t think he’s concerned about who he’s hitting.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Seider leveled arguably the toughest guy in the AHL without hesitation. I don’t think he’s concerned about who he’s hitting.

Yeah Seider as a rookie laying out as many guys as he did in a much tougher league makes me think he wont be worried about anyone in the NHL. He put Liambas in la la land and Liambas is one of the only guys down there that has a good shot with McIlrath in a fight

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The AHL is a rougher league than the NHL at this point. I don't think he is going to be dissuaded from playing his game. He came back from his injury playing the same way in the two games back before the season was called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad