Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Couldn't find it but if true that would be a bit of vindication for the pick. I trust in the Yzerplan so I was good with it all along

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In this video you can see Montreal had Seider 11. I find it more interesting than anything else. It does lend credence to Steve’s assertion that trading down for Seider was a rather large gamble.

Hes ranked 11th on their list but hes also their number one D on the list. Depends on where you trade down to I guess but I find it hard to believe that the top D lasts much longer than 8 or so

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hes ranked 11th on their list but hes also their number one D on the list. Depends on where you trade down to I guess but I find it hard to believe that the top D lasts much longer than 8 or so
Byram #4

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I glad we didn't get Podkolzin, Broberg or Cozens. I believe Yzerman just get 2 big and strong defenseman Seider and Tuomisto. Both of them going to be here in USA. Develop into the Top four defenseman for years to come.

Reactions: Killerjas

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah that was dumb of me. I was trying to say he was the top guy of that next group that was kinda argued abuot before the draft like Broberg, SOderstrom and even the odd nod to Harley or York that I saw on here.

Byram ran away with the top D in this years draft

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah that was dumb of me. I was trying to say he was the top guy of that next group that was kinda argued abuot before the draft like Broberg, SOderstrom and even the odd nod to Harley or York that I saw on here.

Byram ran away with the top D in this years draft

What because Montreal has that? I mean I still believe that Broberg will be the best D-man out of this draft. However, a part of why I like Broberg applied across to Seider which is why I have been behind this pick. I get the Byram was the consensus, but we will just have to see how this all plays out. For me without question Broberg and Seider are the most physically gifted D-man in the past draft in my opinion.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
no way it's the NHL and I doubt he ends up in the CHL either(although it wouldn't necessarily be a bad move)

no idea which of Germany/AHL he ends up in but i'd prefer AHL personally

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What because Montreal has that? I mean I still believe that Broberg will be the best D-man out of this draft. However, a part of why I like Broberg applied across to Seider which is why I have been behind this pick. I get the Byram was the consensus, but we will just have to see how this all plays out. For me without question Broberg and Seider are the most physically gifted D-man in the past draft in my opinion.

I’m curious to see how these 3 develop. I had Byram as the best by a fairly wide margin in this group, and I still feel that way.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I’m curious to see how these 3 develop. I had Byram as the best by a fairly wide margin in this group, and I still feel that way.

Reminds me a lot of Morgan Rielly for a ceiling, aka I like other guys ceilings more than a pure offensive option. But we will see, Byram is a very good player. Barrie and Rielly types are not my favorite kinds of d-man. They make your team fun to watch but their inability to lock down a top line when it matters is a problem if you are thinking Championship in my opinion.

I know a few will think it, yes I think Quinn Hughes uses his speed and edges to play better defense than what I am describing above.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Reminds me a lot of Morgan Rielly for a ceiling, aka I like other guys ceilings more than a pure offensive option. But we will see, Byram is a very good player. Barrie and Rielly types are not my favorite kinds of d-man. They make your team fun to watch but their inability to lock down a top line when it matters is a problem if you are thinking Championship in my opinion.

I know a few will think it, yes I think Quinn Hughes uses his speed and edges to play better defense than what I am describing above.

A lot of guys were able to develop their defensive games as they got older, not everyone will go the route of Reilly. Just keep that in mind so you don’t get locked into thinking that’s what Byram will become.

I could watch videos of Broberg skating all day. I have questions on his decision-making, and how much his offensive game translates. Great transition player, but not sure I love him in a cycle. Guess we will see how he builds on his tools. You gotta watch out for just falling in love with tools, it can be a trap.

I like how when we talk about Seider, the prominent thing is they like his hockey sense. That gives me some faith, plus his frame and skating projects well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A lot of guys were able to develop their defensive games as they got older, not everyone will go the route of Reilly. Just keep that in mind so you don’t get locked into that’s what he will become.

I could watch videos of Broberg skating all day. I have questions on his decision-making, and how much his offensive game translates. Great transition player, but not sure I love him in a cycle. Guess we will see how he builds on his tools. You gotta watch out for just falling in love with tools, it can be a trap.

I like how when we talk about Seider, the prominent thing is they like his hockey sense. That gives me some faith, plus his frame and skating projects well.

I am not locked in on it, just why I don't have Byram in that tier alone like some did. The Avs do have better D-man prospects/players to put him with which should help him.

But you never know how these guys will develop for sure. Was just explaining I didn't think he had the best ceiling of the D-man in the draft was all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am not locked in on it, just why I don't have Byram in that tier alone like some did. The Avs do have better D-man projects to put him with which should help him.

But you never know how these guys will develop for sure. Was just explaining I didn't think he had the best ceiling of the D-man in the draft was all.

I get it, although I disagree with it.

Kid played huge minutes and was one of the best defenseman in all of Juniors last year as a 17 year old. So I don’t think they would have leaned on him as heavily as they did, or had the success in doing so they did if he had the issues you are suggesting.

But I realize this is OT, so I’ll leave it at that. I hope to get a better read on what we have with Seider over this upcoming year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I mean thats fine if you think that but at draft time it was ridiculously clear who the consensus top D was at the draft. It could change and you could be right but it was pretty clear Byram was almost the unanimous top D in the draft. Physically gifted, sure Seider and Broberg might be better but Byrams top asset is his IQ which is hard to quantify. We'll see what happens though. Hopefully youre closer on this hill than you were on Eichel and McDavid though ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean thats fine if you think that but at draft time it was ridiculously clear who the consensus top D was at the draft. It could change and you could be right but it was pretty clear Byram was almost the unanimous top D in the draft. Physically gifted, sure Seider and Broberg might be better but Byrams top asset is his IQ which is hard to quantify. We'll see what happens though. Hopefully youre closer on this hill than you were on Eichel and McDavid though ;)

McDavid has Rushmore capabilities, first guy since Lindros where that is really true, I was wrong there.

I would point out I still believe Eichel will be one of the five best players of this coming decade, he is an elite player. He just isn't as close to McDavid as I thought he might be and that was in part because I felt the hype machine around Crosby was wrong, while I think Crosby is near the or just barely cracking the top 10 all-time he isn't what the media wanted him to be. I think a lot of times in sport we are consumed with saying we are watching a GOAT in the moment. 00-10 just didn't really have a Rushmore guy even if we wanted it to. The 90's candidate Lindros was cut down by injury but still I think he was a more significant player than either Crosby or Ovie in terms of top potential.

Reactions: Winger98

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Although it is way too early to anoint Seider as our next future HOF defenseman, he has shown all the qualities to be our future #1D.

I am a little nostalgic when it comes to player's jersey numbers. In Detroit sports history, we have had one great german defensive sports figure. It is would be great for Seider and Kuffner to exchange numbers. Maybe we can wind up with two great german defenseman wearing the number 56.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He quarterbacks the power play pretty well...nothing flashy, but pretty solid positionally and makes good passes. He’s gotten burnt a few times while on the powerplay, but hopefully he’ll be able to fix that.

Not saying hes Lidstrom but he reminds me of him on the PP a bit style wise. He does nothing flashy back there but holds the line well and gets shots through really well. Getting shots through was Lidstroms biggest strength offensively

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Christien

May 1, 2010
Not saying hes Lidstrom but he reminds me of him on the PP a bit style wise. He does nothing flashy back there but holds the line well and gets shots through really well. Getting shots through was Lidstroms biggest strength offensively
Yeah I can see the similarities, too. I wanna see Moritz work on his slapshot. I think he’s only used it like once or twice, if that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I know it's impossible, but Lidstrom had this way of making it like his shots were greased up. They slipped through. A combination of him using the correct power and placement, I think. He didn't have a Weber or Chara-esque cannon back there. Actually, it was a lot like watching someone amazing a pool place shots through obstacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad