Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Vlad was actually somewhat undersized. I think if he can keep developing offensively or defensively you are looking at a Rob Blake, Colton Parayko, a big guy that likes contact. Seider is a throw back in that regard in terms of he likes the rough stuff, reminds me of the Tkachuk boys, it's sort of a special element and it is at this point one of the things that is getting me really high on Seider.

If Seider can learn Blake's devastating Butt Check he could be a real beast out there. It sounds funny, but Blake was a big, heavy guy and hits that looked like they should be just average rubs against the boards would end up rattling the glass and leaving a guy on the ice. The guy hit hard.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Seider can learn Blake's devastating Butt Check he could be a real beast out there. It sounds funny, but Blake was a big, heavy guy and hits that looked like they should be just average rubs against the boards would end up rattling the glass and leaving a guy on the ice. The guy hit hard.
The hip check is a lost art, you don't see it anymore. Not sure why though, is the league discouraging that?

I remember Zidlicky threw a rather vicious one on Tom Wilson and got a clipping penalty. Would have been called a clean hit back in the 90's.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The hip check is a lost art, you don't see it anymore. Not sure why though, is the league discouraging that?

I remember Zidlicky threw a rather vicious one on Tom Wilson and got a clipping penalty. Would have been called a clean hit back in the 90's.

Because they cracked down on it with clipping calls. Guys were getting their knees taken out and missing time. Orlov is about the only guy left who I've seen do it somewhat consistently. Ballard used to do it a lot too bit hes done now

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

The weird thing with Blake is that it wasn't often the sort of hip check we think of where a guy goes flipping butt over tea kettle. The first check in this video was more of what I was thinking of. Then that hit on Jochen Hecht where it looked like Blake was made setting up for a hip check and instead just hit Hecht in the head with his butt?

If Seider develops that sort of mean streak, I will be a very very happy Wings fan.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yay, a guy you could get in the second round drafted in the top 10.

Yeah, he got a guy who can be found in literally every free agency period, and is years away from hitting a middle pairing ceiling.

I can't believe how many people here are saying they are happy with this pick. This is disgusting. If they wanted a D, you take Broberg. Harley will be better, York will be better, Soderstrom will be better. There is no high-end upside here. It's a safe pick, he's going to be a 2nd pair D and nothing more...

It's nonsense...I'm still in disbelief.

You want a home run swing? Go Caufield. THAT'S a ceiling. Or Krebs, gambling that the injury has no longer lasting impact. Or Broberg.

I said this morning that the last thing I wanted was Yzerman having "smartest man in the room" syndrome. But here it is, in spades.

Welp now that his season is done, do you guys still stand by these flaming hot takes or has he changed your mind? I'm definitely happy they didnt take York or Harley over him lol

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Welp now that his season is done, do you guys still stand by these flaming hot takes or has he changed your mind? I'm definitely happy they didnt take York or Harley over him lol

I will admit my Cam York comment looks ridiculous right now, and that of course I'm happy with Seider. I've always been CHL biased based on exposure, so Seider to me was a bit of an unknown. Of course I knew he was rising, but at the time of the draft, most lists had him as a mid first round pick.

I still don't know if it was the right pick though, there are some good players taken after him. Time will tell, and Seider still has a lot of work to do to justify the pick. He had a good year in GR, and got better as the season rolled along. I still don't know if Seider has top pair upside though. I like his patience with the puck and how he doesnt panic. I like his physicality, and I like his skating. I don't know if he's going to put up crazy offensive numbers.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Not sure what his ceiling is, but much happier about this pick now than I was. But, that's why they get paid millions of dollars to do it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes and no, actually.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled that Seider has (thus far) exceeded expectations for development, and the pick (again, thus far) looks much better now than on draft day.

On the other, I will forever be hesitant to draft a player that early that has half the sample size to evaluate, compared to leagues on this size of the pond.

I'll gladly be wrong every time if it means this the current staff builds a phenomenal roster. But I won't apologize for questioning it at the time.

EDIT: And to clarify, I don't care what ethnicity a player has. If the DEL played 80 games and the OHL played 25, I'd be hesitant to use a top ten pick on an American.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin2AA

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yes and no, actually.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled that Seider has (thus far) exceeded expectations for development, and the pick (again, thus far) looks much better now than on draft day.

On the other, I will forever be hesitant to draft a player that early that has half the sample size to evaluate, compared to leagues on this size of the pond.

I'll gladly be wrong every time if it means this the current staff builds a phenomenal roster. But I won't apologize for questioning it at the time.

EDIT: And to clarify, I don't care what ethnicity a player has. If the DEL played 80 games and the OHL played 25, I'd be hesitant to use a top ten pick on an American.

So you would always be hesitant about drafting an NCAA player that high? Or a really good player that missed time hurt in the OHL?

I get theres question marks but you basically just said youre going to be hesitant about anyone that didnt play a full healthy season in the CHL

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So you would always be hesitant about drafting an NCAA player that high? Or a really good player that missed time hurt in the OHL?

I get theres question marks but you basically just said youre going to be hesitant about anyone that didnt play a full healthy season in the CHL
When I say hesitant, it's more of a tiebreaker kinda thing.

If a guy puts up 2.5ppg or is essentially a Hart Trophy winner for his league over 25-30 games, that's one thing. It's obvious he's tearing it up more than anybody else. But if two guys are similar in ranking, while one does it over a longer stretch, it's going to be very difficult for me to not go with the larger sample size, at least with a top ten pick.

Think Dahlin vs Podkolzin. One guy was a no-brainer, even over a shorter season, while the other had question marks to begin with, let alone with a smaller sample size to base your guess on.

So yeah, if there's a mix of guys all around the same level, I will always and forever hesitate to go with the guy doing it over a shorter season. That doesn't mean never, but it does give me pause.

Reactions: newfy

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I wonder if the decision to draft Seider was influenced by our success with Hronek. Similar situation - limited minutes in a men's league.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I wanted C Dylan Cozens so, idk I'm less disappointed now than draft night. Cozens isn't bad or taild off or anything it's just Seider is a lot better than I thought, and I even said draft night, don't like the pick but ... " In Yzerman we Trust."

Year one Yzerman is not giving the haters any fuel with this selection so far.

But, I don't think Red Wings would be in a bad situation either way right now(drafting Cozens or Seider) both players look to be on the fast track to becoming good pros/NHL'ers. I mean it's a shot in the dark right now to say which one will be better and have more impact.

Hard to shy away from the Rob Blake comparisons. He's trending towards that type of player/defender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratatoskr

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wanted C Dylan Cozens so, idk I'm less disappointed now than draft night. Cozens isn't bad or taild off or anything it's just Seider is a lot better than I thought, and I even said draft night, don't like the pick but ... " In Yzerman we Trust."

Year one Yzerman is not giving the haters any fuel with this selection so far.

But, I don't think Red Wings would be in a bad situation either way right now(drafting Cozens or Seider) both players look to be on the fast track to becoming good pros/NHL'ers. I mean it's a shot in the dark right now to say which one will be better and have more impact.

Hard to shy away from the Rob Blake comparisons. He's trending towards that type of player/defender.

I had 1) Cozens 2) Zegras
Seider was not in my top 5 guys when we were up. I had a guy like Newhook over Seider. Still do.
I think Seider will be a very good player. I don't think he's the kind of swing you take when you're in Detroit's position.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I had 1) Cozens 2) Zegras
Seider was not in my top 5 guys when we were up. I had a guy like Newhook over Seider. Still do.
I think Seider will be a very good player. I don't think he's the kind of swing you take when you're in Detroit's position.

lol

Seider is currently a homerun pick with the potential to be a grandslam, and "that's not the swing you take in Detroit's position" ?
Sorry but I disagree, that is the exact type of swing we needed at 6th OA. One that has the potential to be a game changer while picking outside of the top 3.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Get. Hyped.

Thats a pretty good highlight reel lol and finally a good angle of him killing Liambas with that reverse hit. Hes gonna be so fun to watch

I was hoping with everyone being stuck at home that some of these videos would start coming out. Hoping for a hit reel to show up of Seider one of these days

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
lol

Seider is currently a homerun pick with the potential to be a grandslam, and "that's not the swing you take in Detroit's position" ?
Sorry but I disagree, that is the exact type of swing we needed at 6th OA. One that has the potential to be a game changer while picking outside of the top 3.
Yzerman knows the only way to win in the NHL is by building a badass d-core that gives the forwards a foundation to go out and do their thing.

Seider was absolutely the right pick and it was a truly inspired choice.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yzerman knows the only way to win in the NHL is by building a badass d-core that gives the forwards a foundation to go out and do their thing.

The last five Cup winners:

St Louis
Washington
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Chicago

I agree that Seider looks like a good pick, and I would be completely on board with a roster built on a great defense. But I'd say the above list is dominated more by forwards than defensemen, and there's more than one way to win.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The last five Cup winners:

St Louis
Washington
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Chicago

I agree that Seider looks like a good pick, and I would be completely on board with a roster built on a great defense. But I'd say the above list is dominated more by forwards than defensemen, and there's more than one way to win.

Blues defence, Parenko and Pieterangelo (spelling)
Caps forwards
Pens forwards
Hawks all, dman, centre, winger

Wings Lidstrom and centres
Devils Stevens
Avs forwards and the goalie
Stars Hatcher (Belfour, modano)
Bolts forwards
Ducks pronger and Neidermayer.

I have probably forgotten some.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Then we should get Drysdale next draft

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
if we pick fourth and byfield and stutlze are off the board id be all for him

Take Laf, Byfield, and Stutzle off the board and my choices really open up. I'd even be okay with trading down with someone else in the top10 provided the return is right. I know folks will go kinda nuts because it's the highest pick since whenever, but statistically the guy at 4th isn't likely to be all that different from the guy at 8th. I think it's a difference in ppg from .52 to something like .39, iirc. That doesn't take into account player position, either.

I mean, yeah, that's a sizable difference over a season but a guy producing like that is also not going to carry this team anywhere. If NJ, for example, wants to send us the 8th and 17th picks to move up to 4th, I think I'm taking it.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad