Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by LastWordArmy, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

If Seider can learn Blake's devastating Butt Check he could be a real beast out there. It sounds funny, but Blake was a big, heavy guy and hits that looked like they should be just average rubs against the boards would end up rattling the glass and leaving a guy on the ice. The guy hit hard.

2. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

The hip check is a lost art, you don't see it anymore. Not sure why though, is the league discouraging that?

I remember Zidlicky threw a rather vicious one on Tom Wilson and got a clipping penalty. Would have been called a clean hit back in the 90's.

3. newfy

newfy Registered User

Because they cracked down on it with clipping calls. Guys were getting their knees taken out and missing time. Orlov is about the only guy left who I've seen do it somewhat consistently. Ballard used to do it a lot too bit hes done now

4. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

The weird thing with Blake is that it wasn't often the sort of hip check we think of where a guy goes flipping butt over tea kettle. The first check in this video was more of what I was thinking of. Then that hit on Jochen Hecht where it looked like Blake was made setting up for a hip check and instead just hit Hecht in the head with his butt?

If Seider develops that sort of mean streak, I will be a very very happy Wings fan.

5. DATSOMATIC13

DATSOMATIC13 Registered User

Fetisov was superb at the hip check in the DPE.