Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think you’re factoring in his upside a little more than where he is today.

All of the guys @Pavels Dog mentioned (plus guys like McIlrath, college signings, etc) could easily slot above him in GR this upcoming year... IMO.
Yea, you could be right. I'm very high on him and may be expecting too much. I'm more speaking to where he'll be come the end of next season, not the beginning. Still, I may be overshooting the mark, but I will hold onto my optimism until I see otherwise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yea, you could be right. I'm very high on him and may be expecting too much. I'm more speaking to where he'll be come the end of next season, not the beginning. Still, I may be overshooting the mark, but I will hold onto my optimism until I see otherwise.

I trust they will make the right call at the end of the day.

The 1 consistent thing we have seen is they want these defensmen prospects playing big minutes. Whether it was pulling Cholowski from college to go to the WHL, or Hronek coming over to the OHL, or Saarijarvi coming over to the OHL...

They have consistently put a focus on getting these kids into situations where they can play a lot, and it has paid off well for Hronek/Cholowski, so I imagine we will see more of the same.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I watched the first game. The announcers were terrible. They started showing the came in progress and right from the beginning Seider is making plays had the first good scoring opportunity in the game. He was on the ice for 4 shifts before they even mentioned him. In each of those shifts he displayed his skating and precise passing. Set up scoring chances and had shots on net in each shift but was robbed by Larsson. He made about a dozen passes in those shifts. All of them right on the mark and helped advanced the puck. The only pass he didn't connect with was a calculated risk to set up an nice opportunity but the d-man defending it made a nice play to block the pass
This gif (in the post below this one) is right after Kotkansalo's first goal of the game (a laser after a bad giveaway from Tuomisito. Either he worked on his shot, was lucky in this game or unlucky to only have 2 goals in 78 games for BU). Just before the gif, Seider fumbled the puck at the blueline. I liked his compusure, he was cool as cucumber regained control as he was being checked exited the zone regrouped and the rest is in the gif.
I haven't watched the championship 3 on 3 game yet or the 5 on 5 game. I loved this pick when it was made and am even more impressed now and confident that he will be an offensive producer.
You doubters really got a check him out at the WCs.

Reactions: ZDH and Nut Upstrom

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
xnonn9.gif

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I trust they will make the right call at the end of the day.

The 1 consistent thing we have seen is they want these defensmen prospects playing big minutes. Whether it was pulling Cholowski from college to go to the WHL, or Hronek coming over to the OHL, or Saarijarvi coming over to the OHL...

They have consistently put a focus on getting these kids into situations where they can play a lot, and it has paid off well for Hronek/Cholowski, so I imagine we will see more of the same.
Saarijarvi played a season in Green Bay before Flint

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Couldn't they start him in the AHL, and if he is just a little too over-matched/not quite there yet, send him to the OHL? Not sure if there is any rule about this, and not sure I have even seen it happen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
OHL Is a last place for him . He needs to learn , not teach . Id rathe see him play with Kronwall next season 10-15 min a game . I hope Steven brings elite defenseman so he can learn from him

As others have pointed out, Hronek did the men league first, then went OHL and it didn't seem to hurt him at all. There is also the thing of them coming over and getting used to the NA style game, which is pretty important for European players. Also, if he went to the OHL, he wouldn't be going there to "teach" at all. First the OHL is not some scrub league here, and second, the Wings would send him there, telling him what they want him to work on, which would then be his focus for the year.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
As others have pointed out, Hronek did the men league first, then went OHL and it didn't seem to hurt him at all. There is also the thing of them coming over and getting used to the NA style game, which is pretty important for European players. Also, if he went to the OHL, he wouldn't be going there to "teach" at all. First the OHL is not some scrub league here, and second, the Wings would send him there, telling him what they want him to work on, which would then be his focus for the year.

Agreed, he'll get big minutes in OHL and will get to work on his offence. Griffins defense looks pretty stacked so there's no guarantees he'll get a lot of minutes, it'll ultimately come down to how he looks come camp and pre-season.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Agreed, he'll get big minutes in OHL and will get to work on his offence. Griffins defense looks pretty stacked so there's no guarantees he'll get a lot of minutes, it'll ultimately come down to how he looks come camp and pre-season.
He has already shown that he is very good against NHLers. If he decides to stay in NA (best thing for him), he won't be going to juniors.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He has already shown that he is very good against NHLers. If he decides to stay in NA (best thing for him), he won't be going to juniors.
He didn't show he was very good against NHLers, he showed he could be serviceable in a limited role against them as an 18 year old.

I wouldn't rule it out, it would definitely be good for his offensive game imo. I don't expect it, though.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
He didn't show he was very good against NHLers, he showed he could be serviceable in a limited role against them as an 18 year old.

I wouldn't rule it out, it would definitely be good for his offensive game imo. I don't expect it, though.

Exactly this. Skills development is what he needs at this point. CHL is one of the best leagues for that. AHL the year after.

I want the maximum potential out of this player, not the quickest route to becoming a serviceable 4-6 D in the NHL.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He is an April birthday draftee. He is just recovering from a concussion. No reason to rush him playing in the AHL which is a lot more physical then the DEL. Let him physically mature for another year, then re-evaluate. OHL would be a good option.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There was talk of him being one of the few draftees who could realistically step into and play in the NHL this fall. If he's in NA, I think he should be in GR. He's played against men in the DEL, so it's not like he's not accustomed to playing against mature opponents.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Anyone have full rosters for each team w names and jerseys #s? I can't find anything.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There was talk of him being one of the few draftees who could realistically step into and play in the NHL this fall. If he's in NA, I think he should be in GR. He's played against men in the DEL, so it's not like he's not accustomed to playing against mature opponents.

It all depends upon playing time and opportunity. Like you I would prefer that he play against men. That being said, I also want him to get lots of PP opportunities and play in a situation where he is not afraid to make mistakes.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Did you watch any of the Germany games?

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He is an April birthday draftee. He is just recovering from a concussion. No reason to rush him playing in the AHL which is a lot more physical then the DEL. Let him physically mature for another year, then re-evaluate. OHL would be a good option.
I think it would be best for him to get accustomed to NA hockey and the smaller NA rink.
He seems to already be recovered and October is a long way away.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
LOL that was his first play, he pulled that out of his sleeve
Lol. No it wasn't.
The announcers were terrible. They started showing the came in progress and right from the beginning Seider is making plays had the first good scoring opportunity in the game. He was on the ice for 4 shifts before they even mentioned him. In each of those shifts he displayed his skating and precise passing. Set up scoring chances and had shots on net in each shift but was robbed by Larsson. He made about a dozen passes in those shifts. All of them right on the mark and helped advanced the puck. The only pass he didn't connect with was a calculated risk to set up an nice opportunity but the d-man defending it made a nice play to block the pass
This gif is right after Kotkansalo's first goal of the game (a laser after a bad giveaway from Tuomisito. Either he worked on his shot, was lucky in this game or unlucky to only have 2 goals in 78 games for BU). Just before the gif, Seider fumbled the puck at the blueline. I liked his compusure, he was cool as cucumber regained control as he was being checked exited the zone regrouped and the rest is in the gif.

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
Ani interview with a Czech scout for DRW just came out,evaluating the quality of Czech and Slovak prospects..but the most interesting part is when he mentions that he has been watching Seider for 4 years,didn't like his skating at first, but he thinks he improved it..he seemed impressed by his ability to keep up with older birthyears

Skaut Detroitu Red Wings nešetril kritikou na slovenský a český hokej

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

In this video you can see Montreal had Seider 11. I find it more interesting than anything else. It does lend credence to Steve’s assertion that trading down for Seider was a rather large gamble.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

In this video you can see Montreal had Seider 11. I find it more interesting than anything else. It does lend credence to Steve’s assertion that trading down for Seider was a rather large gamble.

At what time do you see that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->