Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know it's impossible, but Lidstrom had this way of making it like his shots were greased up. They slipped through. A combination of him using the correct power and placement, I think. He didn't have a Weber or Chara-esque cannon back there. Actually, it was a lot like watching someone amazing a pool place shots through obstacles.
iirc Lidstrom shot ~90mph, hard but not 100+ like (Chara/Weber/Iafrate/MacInnis). I'll add Timing to your list of correct power & placement greased up shots. Timing was impeccable.

Reactions: Bench

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know it's impossible, but Lidstrom had this way of making it like his shots were greased up. They slipped through. A combination of him using the correct power and placement, I think. He didn't have a Weber or Chara-esque cannon back there. Actually, it was a lot like watching someone amazing a pool place shots through obstacles.

spit pucks. Lids was an icon at the infamous spit puck.

Reactions: Bench

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
For everyone reading stats, the 7 assists weren't game breaking by any means. Mostly second assists.

He probably won't turn into a great offensive player but everytime I watch this kid I can't help but fall in love with his hockey sense and skill. Nearly every play he makes is the right one and he has the tools to make it work too. Big strong kid who doesn't crumble under pressure. The comparisons to Lidstrom are clearly overstated, but man does he play that same type of game. Smart in all areas.

Outside of Chris Terry who leads the league in points, Seider has been the best playing on the Griffs (in my eyes).

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
For everyone reading stats, the 7 assists weren't game breaking by any means. Mostly second assists.

He probably won't turn into a great offensive player but everytime I watch this kid I can't help but fall in love with his hockey sense and skill. Nearly every play he makes is the right one and he has the tools to make it work too. Big strong kid who doesn't crumble under pressure. The comparisons to Lidstrom are clearly overstated, but man does he play that same type of game. Smart in all areas.

Outside of Chris Terry who leads the league in points, Seider has been the best playing on the Griffs (in my eyes).
I've heard at least one comparison of Seider to Hedman. Do you see that at all?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I mean, that was the comparison I made after watching Seider in development camp/preseason. Havent watched him in GR though.

I havent seen much of him in the AHL one game plus a bit of another but watched all of the prospects tourney and in the preseason as well. I came away thinking he plays with a lot more of an edge than Hedman does. Seider plays the body hard and often which isnt a huge factor in Hedmans game even though hes massive. But I can see a comparison in the rest of their games a bit. Both great skaters with size, Hedman puts up a lot of points but its mostly because he just gets the puck up to forwards in smart ways and gets shots through. He isnt rushing the puck like a fourth forward or anything.

I could see a Ryan Suter with a physical game being a good comparison as well. I cant think of any one player who reminds me a lot of him though. Having that size and skating ability is pretty rare

Reactions: Lil Bert

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Have to remember this kid turned 18 in the spring. Considering the typical development path of a defenseman, it is pretty unreal how good he is in Grand Rapids already.

He makes lapses in judgement quite often still but that’s expected at his age and inexperience. I can guarantee you right now that his main focus is defense responsibility, just like it was in Germany, because he understands that’s how you earn minutes as a kid.

I can also tell you that there is a lot of offensive potential in the kid. Probably more in a mold of someone like Suter or Pietrangelo where it’s smart and saavy. He also showed a ton of puck skills in the summer camps... probably more than basically any other kid to be honest.

Praying to the hockey gods that this kid turns into something special, we could really use it. Just have to remember that he’s an 18 year old defenseman... he may not hit his prime for another 10 years for all we know but he sure looks good so far.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Have to remember this kid turned 18 in the spring. Considering the typical development path of a defenseman, it is pretty unreal how good he is in Grand Rapids already.

He makes lapses in judgement quite often still but that’s expected at his age and inexperience. I can guarantee you right now that his main focus is defense responsibility, just like it was in Germany, because he understands that’s how you earn minutes as a kid.

I can also tell you that there is a lot of offensive potential in the kid. Probably more in a mold of someone like Suter or Pietrangelo where it’s smart and saavy. He also showed a ton of puck skills in the summer camps... probably more than basically any other kid to be honest.

Praying to the hockey gods that this kid turns into something special, we could really use it. Just have to remember that he’s an 18 year old defenseman... he may not hit his prime for another 10 years for all we know but he sure looks good so far.
For what it's worth, Byram's production hasn't been as good as it was last year, and all the other defensemen in the first round aren't having super spectacular seasons. Heinola and Bjornfot got sent down quickly. Meanwhile Seider is playing a top 4 role and producing well enough in a men's league. He's at least the most NHL ready defenseman in the draft, may even be the best.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Kid is a real beauty. I agree with the comparisons to Hedman and a less-physical Konstantinov, but I was thinking Chelios myself.

His IQ, decision-making, gap control, and board work are veteran NHL level good already. He has all the tools to eat big minutes in the NHL one day. He's less offensively gifted, but I think he will have decent numbers in the NHL almost soley on the fact that he will be playing like 30 minutes a night, and the secondary assists will pile up.

I have two bones to pick with Yzerman so far: 1. He didn't re-sign Witkowski and 2. He's kept Seider off this team. I sincerely think he's ready... but I'm cool with him being away from the dumpster fire (for now)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
In the little I have seen of him he reminds me of a less physical Konstantinov to AA degree. I must say though he intrigues me and I hope to see him grow as a player and cannot wait for him to make it to the NHL when it's a good time for him.
Konstantinov is exactly who I though of when watching him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not saying hes Lidstrom but he reminds me of him on the PP a bit style wise. He does nothing flashy back there but holds the line well and gets shots through really well. Getting shots through was Lidstroms biggest strength offensively

Yeah, the shot is missing. But almost everything else is there, like when comapring to Hedman.

Still need to develop that shot.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Yeah, the shot is missing. But almost everything else is there, like when comapring to Hedman.

Still need to develop that shot.

His wrist shot is actually pretty good from what I saw in the pre-season. He needs to add a slapshot to his arsenal to really unlock his offensive potential imo.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
His wrist shot is actually pretty good from what I saw in the pre-season. He needs to add a slapshot to his arsenal to really unlock his offensive potential imo.
His wrist shot is really really good, it's why he doesn't take many slap shots. It's a very heavy wrist/snap shot that makes its way through traffic heavily.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If he can get his wrister through consistently he really doesn't need a slapper, especially in today's NHL

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I haven't watched Seider much in GR but I do want to say that I think his offensive game is better than some here let on and his defensive game worse IMO. He can lose his guy in his own zone and get lost in no man's land trying to chase a forward for a hit. It's a very non-Lidstrom quality who understood so well how to keep his opponents to the outside without sacrificing his position. Seider gets drawn out and then left behind if he doesn't create a turnover. Certainly not a huge deal for a kid his age but his defensive zone coverage is far from NHL ready IMO.

Offensively he's better at jumping into the rush than he's being credit for IMO. When he sees his forwards breaking, if there's a spot to fill Seider can jump into the play with the best of them. He doesn't have flashy hands and moves but he has the right instincts and skating to join a rush as well as the skill to make things happen once he does. His production so far is secondary assists but I expect he'll become one of the go-to creators in GR before the season is up. Now I agree that I don't think he'll be a world-beater EK65 offensive dynamo or anything but he honestly has really high offensive upside IMO.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I haven't watched Seider much in GR but I do want to say that I think his offensive game is better than some here let on and his defensive game worse IMO. He can lose his guy in his own zone and get lost in no man's land trying to chase a forward for a hit. It's a very non-Lidstrom quality who understood so well how to keep his opponents to the outside without sacrificing his position. Seider gets drawn out and then left behind if he doesn't create a turnover. Certainly not a huge deal for a kid his age but his defensive zone coverage is far from NHL ready IMO.

Offensively he's better at jumping into the rush than he's being credit for IMO. When he sees his forwards breaking, if there's a spot to fill Seider can jump into the play with the best of them. He doesn't have flashy hands and moves but he has the right instincts and skating to join a rush as well as the skill to make things happen once he does. His production so far is secondary assists but I expect he'll become one of the go-to creators in GR before the season is up. Now I agree that I don't think he'll be a world-beater EK65 offensive dynamo or anything but he honestly has really high offensive upside IMO.
Actually IMHO, Mo plays a strong D game for an 18 yr old. Lids turned 21 his 1st season with the DRW so give Mo a bit of time. Mo also has a physical element to his game.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If he can get his wrister through consistently he really doesn't need a slapper, especially in today's NHL
Won't be on the PP in the NHL without a slapper, and he'll be competing with Hronek and Cholo for PP time.

I don't think it's a big deal if he's not on the PP though, this team needs a D that can chew up ES time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man, if he turns out to be Vlad level defenseman, that would be awesome.

Vlad was actually somewhat undersized. I think if he can keep developing offensively or defensively you are looking at a Rob Blake, Colton Parayko, a big guy that likes contact. Seider is a throw back in that regard in terms of he likes the rough stuff, reminds me of the Tkachuk boys, it's sort of a special element and it is at this point one of the things that is getting me really high on Seider.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Vlad was actually somewhat undersized. I think if he can keep developing offensively or defensively you are looking at a Rob Blake, Colton Parayko, a big guy that likes contact. Seider is a throw back in that regard in terms of he likes the rough stuff, reminds me of the Tkachuk boys, it's sort of a special element and it is at this point one of the things that is getting me really high on Seider.

upload_2019-11-10_16-31-14.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad