Post-Game Talk: #68 - 3/7/20 | Rangers vs. Devils | 7:00 PM ET - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know I'm probably overthinking this but I can't help feeling like this team just shit all over Mika's performance on Thursday. Dude put in a performance of a lifetime for the team and they couldn't even be bothered to give it their all the next game against an inferior performance?

Reactions: ohbaby

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It was one of our worst performances from start to finish in a long time.

at the end of the day losing 4 out of five in the final 20 games of the playoff push is pretty much a death sentence. Had to have this game.
I think that’s about it. But who knows. Weirder things have happened. But I agree, this is a shame to have lost. that said, a lottery pick is a pretty good booby prize. And maybe even two.

Reactions: belford22

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
I would have thought that was the head coach's decision.
I mean he I guess he would be involved but it’s only his second year in the NHL. Who’s he to go to Gorton or JD and say fire this guy, you know? Imo if anyone is at blame for keeping Ruff around it’s the front office. But I see what you mean about the head coach picking his staff.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Know a dude at work who knows someone at Geico and they sent him the photo of Shestys Porsche.

Lemme tell ya, that shit was CRUSHED.

Huge props to those two boys for even being able to ever play hockey again.
Was it indeed the same one from the pic that was floating around about a week ago? Black Porsche, I believe.

Reactions: Rongomania

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Quinn is a dumbass for playing a goalie who was not ready.

loss 100% on him, this is why he will never will be a top coach

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Devils won against the Blues last game and they're 6-2-2 in their last 10. They're on a hot streak, just like every team NYR have played recently. It's a very tough schedule.

And OF COURSE the Islanders/ Canes game went to overtime.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Question is if the treatment of Lundqvist is the worst I ever have seen during all my years as a NHL fan.

The management "the hockey experts" aka "the bright guys" really believe they have two other goalies better than Henrik Lundqvist, seriously? Are we talking about Henrik f*****g Lundqvist here, are we talking about the same goalie, "The King"? Now it may be too late telling Lundqvist "We are sorry but we f****d it up, now please save our a***s and get us to the playoffs (because otherwise we may lose our jobs).", it's a tough task right now even if it wouldn't surprise me if Henrik did it. Maybe better riding the two Russians, failing reaching the playoffs and fire one or two guys in management instead? Perhaps better in the long run for the Rangers? These are obviously not the best experts out there, or the smartest guys.

I respect Lundqvist staying in New York getting officially humiliated but my guess is this was more of a family decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDirtyH

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Question is if the treatment of Lundqvist is the worst I ever have seen during all my years as a NHL fan.

The management "the hockey experts" aka "the bright guys" really believe they have two other goalies better than Henrik Lundqvist, seriously? Are we talking about Henrik f*****g Lundqvist here, are we talking about the same goalie, "The King"? Now it may be too late telling Lundqvist "We are sorry but we f****d it up, now please save our a***s and get us to the playoffs (because otherwise we may lose our jobs).", it's a tough task right now even if it wouldn't surprise me if Henrik did it. Maybe better riding the two Russians, failing reaching the playoffs and fire one or two guys in management instead? Perhaps better in the long run for the Rangers? These are obviously not the best experts out there, but the smartest guys.

I respect Lundqvist staying in New York getting officially humiliated but my guess is this was more of a family decision.

giphy.gif

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

The management "the hockey experts" aka "the bright guys" really believe they have two other goalies better than Henrik Lundqvist, seriously? Are we talking about Henrik f*****g Lundqvist here, are we talking about the same goalie, "The King"? Now it may be too late telling Lundqvist "We are sorry but we f****d it up, now please save our a***s and get us to the playoffs (because otherwise we may lose our jobs).", it's a tough task right now even if it wouldn't surprise me if Henrik did it. Maybe better riding the two Russians, failing reaching the playoffs and fire one or two guys in management instead? Perhaps better in the long run for the Rangers? These are obviously not the best experts out there, but the smartest guys.

I understand your feelings here. And while I agree the front office could have handled this better I’m not sure Henrik wasn’t blinded by his own legend, either. So it’s possible the front office kind of had to go ‘scorched earth’. I don’t know. I’m just suggesting there might be another angle.
I have been advocating moving AG and keeping Henrik for the next year or even two as a backup. But maybe they either learned they couldn’t afford that and/or Henrik was being difficult. (Though I find the latter a bit hard-to-believe; I sense Henrik is a guy who wouldn’t stay where he’s not wanted).

Reactions: 21

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Team played sloppy but the goals allowed were of the same garden (sorry for the pun) variety that Georgiev and Lundqvist allowed in his last few games. It WAS a perfect game to get Shesterkin back in so I see no reason to put a blame on Quinn for inserting the Russian here.

This one hurts a lot. It was a must have for the team in Rangers position with its direct competition sharing a 3-point game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Less than stellar performance.

But we again struggled mightily against a team that backed down against us and was prepared to be patient and take advantage of our mistakes.

We are a young team and there is a fine balance between stifling the kids by holding them back and just exposing everyone with an unrealistic approach.

DQ is most certainly not erring on the side of caution. Two things annoys me a bit in this perspective, and no 2 a lot more than 1.

1. We can fairly easily adopt and play a little more conservative. We did it when Zibanejad was hurt for example. It was quite obvious that Philly with experienced coaches were going to expose us and that NJ wouldn’t run and gun against us again. DQ could read these things a little better. Like we get the lead twice. Let NJ try create something against us and see how well they can do that without giving up grade A chances.

2. Look we have 4 lines. I think that the roster structure more or less gives us 3 lines. Ziba’s, Panarin’s and Chytil’s. Players around them are a bit interchangeable, but Panarin can carry his own line and Chytil isn’t a perfect fit with him.

So that leaves us with the 4th line. How should we build that line? Is there anything the teams lacks? Is our team uneventful and a little flat, does it need a 4th that can give us a spark? Is our team short on offensive talent, and do we need a 4th with some hidden offense?

From my POV it’s extremely obvious that we could use a 4th line that is can settle things down. More like a 3b line.

This is the biggest objection I have against DQs work in NY. Some will say, but what is he supposed to do? Gorton creates the lineup. But that don’t hold up. DQ has for a long time been on record that he wants a 3 line team with a 4th that can be used to provide a spark at times. The GM gets the player types the coach wants. McKegg for example, definitely hand picked. Smith has played there most of the year.

I was watching Philly’s 4th, a skilled Austrian in Raffel, a good 2-way guy in Nate Thompson and a 5’10 QMJHL in Aubel something.

And they are not alone. Most teams are having 4th built to play hockey, not berserk the ice. Very few teams have Hollweg-Betts-Ortmayer type of 4th anymore... As it is our 4th almost never has a positive impact.

It irks me a bit that DQ, but also our organization, aren’t a bit more solid and in tune when it comes to issues like this. It would help us so much if we had a line that could just hit the ice and play off some minutes. Provide stability. Expose teams we play against instead of getting exposed themselves.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Igor was going to have a bad game but Jesus wasn't expecting this. Glad I was out enjoying life rather than watching this disaster.
I say this with LOVE. Screw you!

You mean, there is life.......aside from the Rangers?
My life consisted of from 9-11:45 the AT&t guy was here, annoying me and my dogs and finally when he left I found out that I had to reset and sync all my "accessories" to the changing of that box.

Then from 1-3pm the A.C. guy came and annoyed me just the same. All the while looking forward to the game.
God, I am starting to hate people. Lol.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
It was the team. The Devils’ had 4.45 expected goals...they scored 5 (no ENG.) Claesson’s goal for example had a 61.3% chance of scoring, Palmieri’s 2nd goal had a 24.9% chance, Hayden’s had a 16.% chance, and they gave up about a dozen equal opportunities that Shesterkin stopped.
What do those percentages represent?
Palms second goal was a rebound which I would put on the D for not clearing. Shesterkin wasn't saving that, yet Claesson's goal had a 61% chance? Also, Shesterkin had no chance on Hayden's goal, yet only 16%. That is why advanced stats can be silly.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
75% of his "insight" is repeating Sam's play by play in different words.

Sam: "Panarin receives the pass on the left wing, he shoots, he SCORES!"
REPLAY
Joe: "This is just amazing. Take a look at this. Panarin receives the pass right... THERE. He skates up the left wing. Then, he uses that QUICK RELEASE to put it past the goaltender and put the Rangers ahead."

The other 25% are recitations of vapid conversations he had with the other team's players or coaching staff.

Joe: "You know Sam, I had the chance to speak to Joel Quenneville before the game. You know what he told me? He said his team really needs to get a good start to the game here. That's why you've seen, in these first few minutes tonight, Florida outshooting the Rangers 3-1."
That's the format of every team's broadcast. The difference is that Joe is a likeable personality and doesn't beat a dead horse with too much info. Do we really need him to diagnose every opportunity?
The guy in Carolina, Tripp Tracey, is a nightmare. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Listen to him a while and you will come to appreciate Joe.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I know I'm probably overthinking this but I can't help feeling like this team just shit all over Mika's performance on Thursday. Dude put in a performance of a lifetime for the team and they couldn't even be bothered to give it their all the next game against an inferior performance?
Is Mika this boards new Hank?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Where have you been the last three years?

Reactions: 21

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I understand your feelings here. And while I agree the front office could have handled this better I’m not sure Henrik wasn’t blinded by his own legend, either. So it’s possible the front office kind of had to go ‘scorched earth’. I don’t know. I’m just suggesting there might be another angle.
I have been advocating moving AG and keeping Henrik for the next year or even two as a backup. But maybe they either learned they couldn’t afford that and/or Henrik was being difficult. (Though I find the latter a bit hard-to-believe; I sense Henrik is a guy who wouldn’t stay where he’s not wanted).
Agree. Could have been that way. (Hank as back-up) and probably was the "plan". Unfortunately it seems to me that that accident caused the Rangers to NOT trade Georgie boy. The push for the PO's needed the BEST of the 2 players that were actually playing regularly and WINNING. Hank wasnt doing that and regardless of the sentiments......that was the bottom line. Yes, management played hardball and stands by for what is best for the TEAM.
Off season now, is another story. We need to get something of actual VALUE for AG, and Hank as back up....otherwise keep him and see what Hank wants to do. IMHO.

Reactions: egelband

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If your No 1 goalie is healthy and cleared by the doctors and you are playing a shit opponent, this is the PERFECT game to get him back in there.

Team team didnt do him any favors tonight, but I cant fathom a reason NOT to start the kid in his 1st game back from injury.

It was very clear that he didn’t look himself. He was tentative and not making saves be would have made pre-accident. He wasn’t ready, doctors or no.

Reactions: leetch99

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

Please stop with this drama already.
Lundqvist has had his share of clunkers in his prime. His time has come and gone. There is no vendetta against him, and he far from being humiliated.

These young goalies we have are out playing him and they're doing right thing by playing them.

Maybe they rushed Igor and he was rusty, that's understandable isnt it?
Maybe the coach won't wait until the game is far gone for him to realize this next time? You think?

Maybe our defense won't stand around all game? The performance last night was awful in every respect.

Lundqvist was great, we never had enough in front of him. Bottom line. He has to go. We need more scoring.
I want an offensive powerhouse.

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Honestly, I know the talent on our blueline is lacking but I'd fire David Quinn just for keeping Lindy Ruff off AV's staff and then again this year. There's no reason we should be in the position we're in with 2 top 10 players in the game, and one of the best offensive defensemen, plus a Calder candidate. David Quinn keeping Ruff was absolutely the worst move of his career and should cost him his job.

Right side good...left side a dumpster fire. You can't play NHL games with half a d, until its rounded out it's not gonna work all the time. Also need 2 top 6 players, its year 2 of the build, nobody seems to have patience for the 4 year rebuild i guess, even if it looks like year 3 could be where it starts to take.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Lundqvist had the option last year to move to another team or stick here for the rebuild, this is what he chose, he may have thought he had some sort of first dibs on the starting goalie job but he doesn't. He needed to play better this year to hold it, he didn't. This "treatment" you are talking about is brought on by him not living up to his 8.5 mill contract he signed. I dont like seeing him sitting on the bench but I also wish he would have been able to hold up his end and we probably would have traded Georgiev.

Reactions: The S5

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hank had his out. He chose to stay.

Hes being treated no differently than any other aging and declining player would be, or more importantly should be.

His resume offers him the respect the Rangers offered when they gave him the option to exit.

Beyond that, he resume offers him nothing else.

Hes cooked and will get mop up duty from here on out. And I'm fine with that.

He will ask to be bought out and the team will comply because NO ONE IS TRADING FOR HIM AT 50% RETENTION.

Reactions: NYSPORTS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad