OT: 64th Obsequious Banter Thread: Patrick and Provorov Before They Were Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I watched both fights and didn’t pay a cent.

It’s 2018... do people not know about livestreams?!?

I buy them sometimes so I can get it in HD & on my tv’s. It depends on the potential caliber of the fight. I wouldn’t waste money on that Mayweather/McGregor fight or even the Mayweather/Pac-Man knowing they were/are clear cash grabs.

But in boxing for the most part there’s only a select few fighters that even get a PPV. Most even pretty good fights are on premium cable.

I don’t like UFC nearly enough to consistently watch it or even spend any money on it though. I’m very causal in watching it.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Lmao MMA trying to turn itself INTO boxing circa 1959-

Only way to really make stars of these guys I guess

Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
MMA > Boxing

Fight me

I like boxing better but the people running the sport ruin it so that definitely takes some shine off it.

It’s better for the promoters, fighters, etc. wallets how it’s currently set up but not having uniformed rules/regulations across the board & a commissioner like UFC really ruins the potential product.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I like boxing better but the people running the sport ruin it so that definitely takes some shine off it.

It’s better for the promoters, fighters, etc. wallets how it’s currently set up but not having uniformed rules/regulations across the board & a commissioner like UFC really ruins the potential product.
on boxing:
Its just a different era imo. There just isnt the same talent level that you would find in the middle part of the 20th century.

Nowadays world culture seems to be moving away from certain elements of contact sports. A lot of athletes who wouldve been boxers 20-30 years prior are being shuttled into other sports.

The fact that a dinosaur like Floyd is still the biggest draw and its not close speaks to the lack of talent and promotion in the sport

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
on boxing:
Its just a different era imo. There just isnt the same talent level that you would find in the middle part of the 20th century.

Nowadays world culture seems to be moving away from certain elements of contact sports. A lot of athletes who wouldve been boxers 20-30 years prior are being shuttled into other sports.

The fact that a dinosaur like Floyd is still the biggest draw and its not close speaks to the lack of talent and promotion in the sport

That guys like GGG aren't more well known really shows they suck at promoting.

Reactions: Lotusflower

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
It’s all fake. McGregor tapped for no reason and these shenanigans are to set up a second fight.

Stay woke.

I know you’re joking, but I love these conspiracies. McGregor ate a nasty haymaker from Khabib’s team after getting his neck cranked by Khabib. That’s not something I would stage to be done to me for any amount of money.

Kinda disappointed to see McGregor lose. I really enjoy his flair, though he’s one dimensional, and I thought he had more control on his feet. Turns out Khabib’s one dimension is much more effective than McGregor’s.

I still think Jones is the best P4P fighter in MMA—good balance of grappling and striking. He easily beat Cormier who’s a tough wrestler like Khabib.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Speakin of MMA. So I got my first ever massage today.....I was manhandled by a little chinese lady. It effin hurt most of the 45 minute session and I can barely lay my head down on my pillow. My upper back feels like a gorilla jumped on top of it. Is it normal? I mean I know I probably had decades of knots but didn't think I would be this sore....not sure I ever want another one even if they offered a happy ending. They probably would castrate me in the process...

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
That guys like GGG aren't more well known really shows they suck at promoting.
oh I agree. Golovkin is one of the most exciting athletes to watch pry his trade alive, but he's not charismatic and in the fight game thats the glass ceiling.
You got to have a warriors talent in the ring and a promotors eye and ear out of it.
As much as people will blame one party or the other for the shenanigans in the Khabib fight its also on Dana White.

Since Silva went down he's been trying desperately to find somebody who can lift the glass ceiling on UFC.
He gave that rat McGregor the keys to the kingdom then set up that circus act with Floyd to try to drum up interest only to have McGregor never defend his belts and leave the sport high and dry for 2 years. A fiasco.

This is a blessing to the UFC imo. Its core fans have always paraded it as the more professional cousin to boxing not understanding why boxing got so big in the first place.

If your white elephant is gonna get dominated in the biggest fight in history you might as well have chaos afterwards to keep interest at a fever pitch.

Any anger or whatever White claims about what went down is performative I bet.
This is the most buzz MMA has ever had.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Speakin of MMA. So I got my first ever massage today.....I was manhandled by a little chinese lady. It effin hurt most of the 45 minute session and I can barely lay my head down on my pillow. My upper back feels like a gorilla jumped on top of it. Is it normal? I mean I know I probably had decades of knots but didn't think I would be this sore....not sure I ever want another one even if they offered a happy ending. They probably would castrate me in the process...

The Thai massage is famous, right? I had one over there, also by an old lady - she was taller than your Chinese masseuse, I'm guessing, but she was all bones, just a Thai skeleton, basically. It was among the worst pains I have ever felt and I was sore for about three weeks afterward. I'm not joking. Never again. I wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place, but I couldn't find a proper chiropractor over there.

Reactions: Embiid

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Also, you know how H. Jon Benjamin is the voice of Archer (among other things) and how he is awesome at it? Turns out he needs to be heard and not seen, exclusively. These Arby's commercials are diabolical.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Also, you know how H. Jon Benjamin is the voice of Archer (among other things) and how he is awesome at it? Turns out he needs to be heard and not seen, exclusively. These Arby's commercials are diabolical.
He had a show on Comedy Central a while back called Jon Benjamin Has a Van. It was infinitely funnier than these Arby's commercials. Similar feel to The Ben Show and Nathan for You, both of which were hilarious too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I got a free chair massage at a work health fair. NEVER AGAIN. If you're that knotted up that someone has to use drunken master style on your muscles then you're probably in a wheelchair and past hope anyway.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Saw Venom last night, it was horrible. Logic fails, tonal misses, bad chemistry between characters, confusing graphics, cheesy dialogue. I wanted to like it a lot, thought it commendable it was a Venom story and not a Spider-Man story. SONY doesn't know what they are doing, and are bad owners of the property. It will probably make enough money for the sequel to get green-lit, but I highly doubt I'd spend money on Venom 2.

Essentially, this should've been rated-R, and a mix of the movie Species, meets buddy cop. On the plus side though, there's a preview for Spider-Verse at the end of the movie, and that's awesome. Spider-Verse is going to be amazing. An actual animated film that could probably give Pixar a run for the money. I saw the clip and instantly thought Incredibles competitor.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Thai massage is famous, right? I had one over there, also by an old lady - she was taller than your Chinese masseuse, I'm guessing, but she was all bones, just a Thai skeleton, basically. It was among the worst pains I have ever felt and I was sore for about three weeks afterward. I'm not joking. Never again. I wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place, but I couldn't find a proper chiropractor over there.
It was a deep tissue massage...all I know is it was anything but pleasurable. I hope I am not sore for 3 weeks. I mean yeah afterwards I felt a little looser but I don't think this soreness is normal. I don't intend on going back that is for sure. That little chinese lady was a bully.....

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If there’s any Whovians here, I really enjoyed the debut of the new Doctor. The tone/direction was a welcome change of pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad