OT: 64th Obsequious Banter Thread: Patrick and Provorov Before They Were Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
@Magua - DVR'd the Dr. Who episode, plan on watching it tomorrow during the kid's nap time (when my holiday, is the same as the kid's daycare, that means I don't get a holiday). Happy to hear, Dr. Who is an amazing property, (was very partial to the last doctor, didn't care for the other two even though they were good, liked Eccleston too, a Dr. with edge.) Happy to hear a good review, will be able to geek out next time.

For the Venom stuff, here's a fan film made by producer Adi Shankar (Dredd reboot). It's a tad janky, but so much better than what SONY produced.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@Magua - DVR'd the Dr. Who episode, plan on watching it tomorrow during the kid's nap time (when my holiday, is the same as the kid's daycare, that means I don't get a holiday). Happy to hear, Dr. Who is an amazing property, (was very partial to the last doctor, didn't care for the other two even though they were good, liked Eccleston too, a Dr. with edge.) Happy to hear a good review, will be able to geek out next time.

Well, it feels more like the Eccleston/Tennant era with less cheese. I like (and eventually miss) all the Doctors truth be told. Capaldi was a little not unintentionally hard to get into in his first series, but after that he really grew on me with his mix of weird and droll and morose. The 13th Doctor was very good (Jodie Whittaker is always great), the plot wasn't anything out of the ordinary but it entertained. It usually takes time for each Doctor to settle in as a unique character though. I also just like the idea of a female Doctor; well past time to mix it up.

While I enjoyed the bulk of the Moffat era very much and will miss it as its best (it can ever be topped in sheer ingenuity), I grew a bit exhausted of its increasingly unsatisfying or downright byzantine twists and turns. It became too in love with its own cleverness and quirk; plus, the companions were a little too much like caricatures. I watched the new showrunner's (Chibnall) previous show, Broadchurch, so the feel isn't surprising to me. From what I can glean in 1 introductory episode, it feels more about the whole ensemble with the companions; the tone more down-to-earth (as much as a show can be about aliens and travel across space/time), with a little more pathos. Less zany, more earnest.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think people pass over Eccleston's Doctor too much. I loved his anger and very high energy goofiness. And while I agree Capaldi's Doctor took a bit to get into, I really loved how he felt like a broken doctor coming out of his shell and really grew into something unique and great. While Blink delivers great horror, in terms of pure acting, Heaven Sent might be by far the best episode they've ever made.

Reactions: Ruck Over and Magua

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well I think I have learned my lesson with Russian women (at least foreign nationals).....great in the sack pretty lousy as gf's. Another one bites the dust. Done ever having a relationship with one again....so far both instances very unfulfilling as far
as being a supportive partner. Pretty self-serving. Next......

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadians on the board!

OMG is today Canadian Thanksgiving? The greatest and most hilarious day of the year? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Today I would like to give thanks for Canada and Canadians and their willingness to not only come up with an idea so goofy as having a separate Thanksgiving a month and a half early, but also the willingness to just run with it and stick to it. God Bless Canada! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
OMG is today Canadian Thanksgiving? The greatest and most hilarious day of the year? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Today I would like to give thanks for Canada and Canadians and their willingness to not only come up with an idea so goofy as having a separate Thanksgiving a month and a half early, but also the willingness to just run with it and stick to it. God Bless Canada! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Common sense Captain. Our "harvest" happens earlier way up here up North.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Saw the premiere episode, am a fan. New Dr. is as good as the old doctor, and every doctor is a winner. Enjoyed the death of a character off the bat, got me easily emotionally invested.

The fan boy in me is upset they didn't address the Doctor should've run out of regenerations with Capaldi, but I'll let it slide. I doubt the show creators envisioned actually going through 12 doctors and having a property this successful. Other than taking a montage 45 seconds to build a sonic screw driver, everything was on point. The old Capaldi garb switched at show's end for her gimmick was awesome. And I love "... empty pockets...". It's a great tag-line and personal quirk. The companions all seem interesting too.

Only gripe with the first episode, was the throw away line of, "You had no right to do that," to the macguffin at climax end. It didn't seem set-up, and while in character for the Doctor to say, seems unrealistic to the action taken by said character in the given scenario. Like seriously, what else should be expected?

All said, Sunday = funday, good on the BBC to keep the show rolling in a positive direction.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Saw the premiere episode, am a fan. New Dr. is as good as the old doctor, and every doctor is a winner. Enjoyed the death of a character off the bat, got me easily emotionally invested.

The fan boy in me is upset they didn't address the Doctor should've run out of regenerations with Capaldi, but I'll let it slide. I doubt the show creators envisioned actually going through 12 doctors and having a property this successful. Other than taking a montage 45 seconds to build a sonic screw driver, everything was on point. The old Capaldi garb switched at show's end for her gimmick was awesome. And I love "... empty pockets...". It's a great tag-line and personal quirk. The companions all seem interesting too.

Only gripe with the first episode, was the throw away line of, "You had no right to do that," to the macguffin at climax end. It didn't seem set-up, and while in character for the Doctor to say, seems unrealistic to the action taken by said character in the given scenario. Like seriously, what else should be expected?

All said, Sunday = funday, good on the BBC to keep the show rolling in a positive direction.
The Doctor got his regeneration count reset by the Time Lords in "The Time of the Doctor" (remember when Matt Smith was living in that Christmas Town getting old as dirt because he was on his last life?), so the newest doctor is actually his second regeneration of the new cycle.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The Doctor got his regeneration count reset by the Time Lords in "The Time of the Doctor" (remember when Matt Smith was living in that Christmas Town getting old as dirt because he was on his last life?), so the newest doctor is actually his second regeneration of the new cycle.
Christmas EPISODES! Cannon, not-cannon, end of year not in season, foiled again. Fanboy problems quelled. Thx.

Reactions: Amorgus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There have been so many Pixel 3 "leaks" that I actually lost interest in the thing. Hopefully it's better made than the Pixel 2.

The 1 is a great phone.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It has the ability to screen calls and basically has a DO NOT CALL feature. It has a ton of awesome features and I'm pumped for the camera. Had a 6P for 2 years, then the battery went to shit, Google replaced it for free with a 128GB Pixel XL and now I finally bought my first phone in 3 years.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Just wanted to say, in regards to what is going on in all other threads today, it is Christmas and Armageddon on the same day today.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So for the first time in my life I ran out of gas while driving. My gas gauge said I had 34 miles until empty. Nooooope. Even after my car powered down it still said I had gas left and 34 miles to work with. I've tested the limits before and have been on 0 before and watched as it plummeted (scary). No idea what happened this time. I was literally 5 feet from a gas station entrance (blocking one lane of a two way lane road as I was trying to turn). There was one woman working the station. I asked if someone could give me a push to a pump. She said nope. Luckily I had a family member in the area that had a portable gas can to get me up and started again. If not I would have had to have called AAA to move me 50 feet to a gas pump. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So for the first time in my life I ran out of gas while driving. My gas gauge said I had 34 miles until empty. Nooooope. Even after my car powered down it still said I had gas left and 34 miles to work with. I've tested the limits before and have been on 0 before and watched as it plummeted (scary). No idea what happened this time. I was literally 5 feet from a gas station entrance (blocking one lane of a two way lane road as I was trying to turn). There was one woman working the station. I asked if someone could give me a push to a pump. She said nope. Luckily I had a family member in the area that had a portable gas can to get me up and started again. If not I would have had to have called AAA to move me 50 feet to a gas pump. :laugh:

CV0LP9xWoAEyh7y.jpg

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
You should've gotten just enough gas from that station to drive to the next closest station to fill up. That bitch couldn't help you push your car 50 feet?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
If i was to ever switch to Android, I would get a Pixel.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My friends are arguing over whether it's worth a damn or not right now. The one indisputable plus for the Pixel will always be that it'll get all new updates first since there's no proprietary crap in the mix. Lord only knows when my Galaxy S8 will get upgraded to Pie. I may actually be due for another phone before that happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->