OT: 64th Obsequious Banter Thread: Patrick and Provorov Before They Were Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's the jersey I would wear for my Sarcastiball team.

tenor.gif

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Not sure if this is the place to put this, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the other threads on here.

Back in high school, I used to send letters and trading cards to hockey players asking for their autographs. I got a lot of Flyers this way, sending to the Skate Zone in Voorhees. Late in the summer I decided to start up again and sent out 13 or 14 letters last month. Yesterday, I got my first response from the new batch, Mike Knuble (c/o the Grand Rapids Griffins):
knuble.jpg

He was one of my favorites when I first started following the team back in 2005, so I'm glad I heard back from him. And now I have autographs from all of the "Deuces Wild" line, though I obtained Gagne and Forsberg other ways than through the mail.

Sorry it's a ****y photo, but our scanner doesn't work. And if this fits better in another thread, then feel free to move this post or delete it altogether.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Not sure if this is the place to put this, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the other threads on here.

Back in high school, I used to send letters and trading cards to hockey players asking for their autographs. I got a lot of Flyers this way, sending to the Skate Zone in Voorhees. Late in the summer I decided to start up again and sent out 13 or 14 letters last month. Yesterday, I got my first response from the new batch, Mike Knuble (c/o the Grand Rapids Griffins):
View attachment 147055
He was one of my favorites when I first started following the team back in 2005, so I'm glad I heard back from him. And now I have autographs from all of the "Deuces Wild" line, though I obtained Gagne and Forsberg other ways than through the mail.

Sorry it's a ****y photo, but our scanner doesn't work. And if this fits better in another thread, then feel free to move this post or delete it altogether.
Dope. I wish I had the disposable income to really indulge in sports trading cards.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I just found out that my internet speed is woefully behind modern civilization and it's most likely because I'm using someone's hand-me-down router that's probably a decade old. It could very well be the reason I keep getting annihilated at FPS games where I unload first at closerange first and still get killed nearly every time. I did a speedtest finally last night and only got 10mb download. Meanwhile my phone just got 179! I don't know how the hell I've been able to stream anything all these years if my internet is such garbage!

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Dope. I wish I had the disposable income to really indulge in sports trading cards.
Yeah, it's definitely not a cheap hobby. I do most of my buying/opening around Christmas and my birthday when I get boxes and have the extra money. I don't think I've ever bought a box that cost more than $100 because I find it's usually not worth it. If you look online you can find some fun older stuff for anywhere between $20-$50 a box. Steel City Collectibles and Dave and Adam's Card World are my online go-tos, though the selection and prices of the latter have changed for the worst recently. There's a couple of card shops nearby that I go to as well. It's definitely a gamble regardless, but I think I've been satisfied far more often than I've been burned. Recently I've had decent luck buying low. I pulled the Brock Boeser young guns rookie card when I bought three packs of Upper Deck Series 1 for $10, and I pulled Mathew Barzal's young guns from one of those little $20 boxes they sell at Target, and both are worth a lot more than that. And a few years ago I pulled a Gretzky autograph from a box that cost somewhere in the $55-$65 range, which is sadly pretty cheap as far as boxes go. It definitely stings a lot less to spend $10 or $20 and not get much worthwhile than to spend $100+ and end up with a bunch of junk.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That is both a soul-crushing but also fascinating article for someone who is not familiar to the area. I read an article recently on San Francisco's homeless population a few months ago but it sounds like paradise compared to Kensington.

I'm not reading the NYTimes article, f*** NYC. But from an adjacent view, Kensington is a perfect storm for this nonsense. Long neglected by city officials, it's a mix of old-resident patriarchal types, that are dying out and not being replaced, and naive new comers not yet invested in civic responsibilities that extend further than self-interest. Left to fill the void of responsible engaged residents are lesser aspects of society such as blight, hopelessness, lack or resources. Given that Philadelphia does have issues it responds to, the illicit activities in Kensington are left to their own devices until it because an issue that can no longer be ignored. There are no physical/psychological barriers enclosing Kensington, so it was only a matter of time until the problems spilled outward, either by never-do-wells seeking thrills there and returning elsewhere, or a burgeoning problem escaping it's origination point.

tl'dr; now is the time to buy property in Kensington, because the problems will get fixed, and the values will rise, if it hasn't already passed peak potential.

Reactions: Rebels57

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Finally cleared to start skating after my acl/meniscus tear last year! My quad strength is at 86% and he ideally wants me at 90% but gave me the go ahead anyway.

Very limited with what im actually allowed to do:

Week 1 (2x a week)
Forward skating with 25% effort with hockey turns, no crossovers for the next two weeks.

Week 2
Forward skating at 50% effort with hockey turns
Backwards skating: 25% effort....i dont back check anyway so this is probably not necessary :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad