OT: 64th Obsequious Banter Thread: Patrick and Provorov Before They Were Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
get a house early kids. It should pay off long term. Get a roomate to help pay the mortgage for as many years as possible.

My last payment is in Dec....25 year mortgage but paid off in 18.

48 years old, no car payment, no mortgage months away...looking forward to the extra disposable income!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
get a house early kids. It should pay off long term. Get a roomate to help pay the mortgage for as many years as possible.

48 years old, no car payment, no mortgage months away...looking forward to the extra disposable income!

I always took out 15 year mortgages for that reason, the payments were a little higher (but not that much) but you build equity much quicker, so if you have to move you can get money back after a few years, and if you stay, you own the house faster.
Unfortunately, the recession was my downfall. Once you get close to 60, you become an "untouchable."

If I buy a house again, I'll do a 30 year, b/c at my age, "you can't take it with you" so lower monthly payments become more important.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I always took out 15 year mortgages for that reason, the payments were a little higher (but not that much) but you build equity much quicker, so if you have to move you can get money back after a few years, and if you stay, you own the house faster.
Unfortunately, the recession was my downfall. Once you get close to 60, you become an "untouchable."

If I buy a house again, I'll do a 30 year, b/c at my age, "you can't take it with you" so lower monthly payments become more important.

I got absolutely drilled by the recession, too.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We were really lucky up here. Most of the banks never got into the "funny business" with housing loans.

Not to mention I had a lifelong friend who was a bank manager so got a fantastic rate every time. He would also just call bad up out of the blue to come in and sign a paper and it would shave off 5/6 months of mortgage time.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

Wow had no clue you were pushing 60.

Reactions: Defect

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016

Great advice I would add put as much as possible into a retirement account. 10% of ur pay will pay off huge later and u really don't miss it especially if it is a 401k and taken off pretax on ur paycheck. :thumbu:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Great advice I would add put as much as possible into a retirement account. 10% of ur pay will pay off huge later and u really don't miss it especially if it is a 401k and taken off pretax on ur paycheck. :thumbu:
Yeah that is where I am a bit screwed. I had a job working to an entrepreneur so had no pension or anything. But I did try and put away money every year into RRSP but not 10%. Instead I used the extra money to pay down the mortgage. But yes, put money away for savings as early as you can and every little bit helps.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'd have loved to do a 15 year mortgage, but in Fairfax County the cost is revolting.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Has anyone tried the new COD? Is it the same old **** or worth getting? I thought the new battle royale mode would be a cool idea but I haven’t been home to research. Fair in mind I haven’t like a cod since MW3.
There's a lot to like but also some major changes that may be more for the sake of change that I'm not wild about but not enough yet to make me quit. I am much better at this Battle Royale mode (Bloackout) than Fortnite due to not having to worry about building crap and the weapons having the familiar COD feel I'm used to. Unfortunately I don't foresee the constant updating of the weapons and map that keeps Fortnite so fresh. There's a few little Fortnite tweaks I'd like them to import but I'm hoping I never have to play that damn game ever again now that my nephew and I can play this together.

Speaking of my nephew, we were playing Blackout last night and I was on the back of an ATV he was driving when someone ran out of cover in front of us and started unloading on us. My nephew jumped off the ATV and engaged but I stayed on and started unloading too. There was a slight problem with my actions. In Fortnite there's no friendly fire so if you unload and spray across your partner, it just blocks those shots that hit them but no harm, no foul. But Blackout DOES have friendly fire and nobody told me so I inadvertently unloaded a whole clip into the back of my nephew's head and dropped him. Then I got killed while reloading. That kid was screaming and swearing at me for the next five minutes while I couldn't help but cry laughing.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Literally just turned it on. My expectations are kind low though.

They shouldn't be; it has gotten rave reviews. It's loosely based on one of the most famous horror books ever. Stephen King even said the show was close to a work of genius. I'm only halfway through right now, but it has gotten even better each episode.

It's a patient, slow build with a lot of deep character focus. I mean the horror element is the focal point, but it could stand on its own as a family drama. It definitely can be creepy/scary (I think it'll get amped up more in the episodes I've yet to watch), but it's not done to cheap effect, and the pacing is spot on in its ability to build up tension and atmosphere and quiet dread. Truly, it's been top tier television so far.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Has anyone tried the new COD? Is it the same old **** or worth getting? I thought the new battle royale mode would be a cool idea but I haven’t been home to research. Fair in mind I haven’t like a cod since MW3.

MW3 is probably my favorite COD, and I haven't liked a COD since BO2. Its not a bad game, similar to BO3, but its not memorable IMO. Blackout is very slow, which I think is a problem for me. The map isn't great either, theres so much open space and not much cover and it takes a while to get from place to place without a vehicle. The time to kill is also a problem, as you have absolutely no chance if someone behind you gets first shot. Still think Fortnite is a lot better for BR. Gameplay for me is pretty good. Weapon balancing is decent however AR's at the moment are a little OP. Should be fixable unlike WWII which couldn't figure out weapon balancing.

My main gripe with the game is the maps. They're overall solid, but not memorable IMO. There's no really good map. Hacienda maybe, but its not great. The best maps are the three they brought from BO1.

Reactions: klutch

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
They shouldn't be; it has gotten rave reviews. It's loosely based on one of the most famous horror books ever. Stephen King even said the show was close to a work of genius. I'm only halfway through right now, but it has gotten even better each episode.

It's a patient, slow build with a lot of deep character focus. I mean the horror element is the focal point, but it could stand on its own as a family drama. It definitely can be creepy/scary, but it's not done cheaply, and the pacing is spot on. The ability to build up tension and atmosphere and quiet dread is terrific. Truly, it's been top tier television so far.
Oh wow didn’t know that. Every show I watch on Netflix is either really good or bad. So I usually go into it without high expectations.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Original BO tomahawk was life.

My friend and I were pretty beast at Black Ops back in the day before we stopped playing CoD. Every time it would be 1 kill away from winning, we'd take our tomahawks out and try to get it on the kill cam with deflections or 1-kill foot shots (because we dip our tomahawks in lethal poison) or crazy nonsense like that. Or we'd try to shoot our dual pythons pre-final kill to the tune of "shave and a haircut." We would just toy around and go into games only using tomahawks and ballistic knives and still get like 15+ kills each with + k/d. We'd take turns calling in the dog kill streak all game. I miss those days, they were fun. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My friend and I were pretty beast at Black Ops back in the day before we stopped playing CoD. Every time it would be 1 kill away from winning, we'd take our tomahawks out and try to get it on the kill cam with deflections or 1-kill foot shots (because we dip our tomahawks in lethal poison) or crazy nonsense like that. Or we'd try to shoot our dual pythons pre-final kill to the tune of "shave and a haircut." We would just toy around and go into games only using tomahawks and ballistic knives and still get like 15+ kills each with + k/d. We'd take turns calling in the dog kill streak all game. I miss those days, they were fun. :laugh:

Dog chains were so depressing on the receiving end

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->