Post-Game Talk: #62: Jets 2 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020, 1:00 pm ET

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Braun slid the puck to Hagg for a shot off teh faceoff for Pit's goal. That's all he has to do to collect points now.

Just get the puck to Hagg and reap the rewards.
Well, Braun's main job isn't to collect points. That's just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Regardless of what you think about his X and O coaching. AV easily seems like the most professional and likeable coach the Flyers have had in a long time.

Seems like the sort of classy, professional and fair person that is naturally good at leading others.

Somebody people want to follow and would go through a brick wall for.

He’s not perfect, that’s very clear. I do kind of wonder what things might be like if he chose someone other than Therrien to be his assistant.

He’s better than the shitshow we have had for years though.

Hakstol was an absolute embarrassment. I got to a place with this team under his tenure that I don’t want to be at again. Stevens was another guy I absolutely despised and even though he won a cup Berube wasn’t exactly all too good here either.

It’s nice to have someone at least somewhat competent, even if yes - there are flaws.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
First comment by AV:

“You guys see Oscar? Great smile. Great win”

Even before a question is asked. He’s not perfect, but that’s classy. Nicely done.

Looking beyond all the hockey stuff, it is refreshing having a coach who isn't a total monotone robot hard ass with the personality of black mold. It was exhaustingly boring on and off ice. There's not a coach who doesn't wear out his welcome eventually, and hockey decisions are paramount, but humor and earnest emotion and a pinch of personality goes a long way. This team is fun and has some bite and character from the coach to the players. What I'm really saying is f*** Dave Hakstol to kingdom come. And Therrien can still join him.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
wow we play the caps AND the pens later on as well. Only 3 points back of the pens even though they have 2 games in hand (one if we win our meeting with them). Caps also have a game in hand but if we win our meeting with them...

have some huge back to backs coming still. Need elliot to play solid for us.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
this team's had one bad month all year; 12/5 to 1/7, that stretch produced only 4 regulation wins in 14 games. Outside of that they've been pleasantly good. 20 more games, finish strong and home ice is on the table...

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The team is playing well there, in particular Hart.

I can’t blame folks, but at some point here you have to let the angst of previous years go. It’s a morgue in there, and with the team as good as they have been - you’d like to see a bit more energy from the home crowd at some point here.

It's gonna take a playoff run--like, a second round, and maybe a shitshow game with the Penguins or something.

There is a lot of angst, and the in-arena presentation is absolutely horrid. It's too much, it doesn't connect with anyone, and it's not helping the situation. Your fans are mostly beer-chugging 45 year old men. Don't play f***ing My Chemical Romance or Tyga or Maren Morris in the arena. Give them a little organ and the same old classic rock: Hell, Giroux and Jake are, respectively, AC/DC and Springsteen enthusiasts. EMBRACE THE DADNESS. Some teams are smart enough to identify that their crowd is older and male.

And there doesn't need to be a segment in every stoppage. Just let it ride. We don't need to go back to the days of ORGAN ONLY, but we can still use it from time to time. The in-arena experience is not a hockey experience, it's a generic corporate experience with a hockey game in the middle.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
wow we play the caps AND the pens later on as well. Only 3 points back of the pens even though they have 2 games in hand (one if we win our meeting with them). Caps also have a game in hand but if we win our meeting with them...

have some huge back to backs coming still. Need elliot to play solid for us.
Yeah, at this point I'm focusing on Washington and Pittsburgh. Not going to look behind us anymore. We're better than Columbus, Carolina and the Islanders.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why the **** do we need to do that, exactly?

I think hes come a long way but he is definitely limited in his effectiveness as the games get faster and more intense. Hes just kinda been surviving his shifts. Id like a 4C that could also be counted on to kill penalties or win a big draw if need be.

Reactions: Foggy14 and Tripod

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Looking beyond all the hockey stuff, it is refreshing having a coach who isn't a total monotone robot hard ass with the personality of black mold. There's not a coach who doesn't wear out his welcome eventually, and hockey decisions are paramount, but humor and earnest emotion and a pinch of personality goes a long way. This team is fun and has some bite and character from the coach to the players. What I'm really saying is f*ck Dave Hakstol to kingdom come. And Therrien can still join him.

I don’t want to make this a AV love affair, but one thing I will give him credit for is improvement - and willingness to call up the kids.

Under the prior regime, it seems that a lot of issues would simply persist and never really look like they were moving in a positive direction. I understand the team is getting a lot of bounces right now, but you can definitely see growth from the start of the year. The players deserve credit for that, but so does AV.

Not perfect, but much better than the purgatory we were forced to stay in for years - and it’s not just more talent infusion.

It was also interesting to hear he wanted Frost but Fletcher is the one pushing for him to stay in the AHL.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The other thing that needs to be mentioned imo is how this club has generally been able to stay healthy.

I realize the issues with Patrick and Lindblom might mask that but the big war horses up front and the D core in particular have all been able to keep playing and contributing. That’s been crucial.

Reactions: Larry44

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It's gonna take a playoff run--like, a second round, and maybe a shitshow game with the Penguins or something.

There is a lot of angst, and the in-arena presentation is absolutely horrid. It's too much, it doesn't connect with anyone, and it's not helping the situation. Your fans are mostly beer-chugging 45 year old men. Don't play f*cking My Chemical Romance or Tyga or Maren Morris in the arena. Give them a little organ and the same old classic rock: Some teams are smart enough to identify that their crowd is older and male. I mean, hell, Giroux and Jake are, respectively, AC/DC and Springsteen enthusiasts. EMBRACE THE DADNESS.

And there doesn't need to be a segment in every stoppage. Just let it ride. We don't need to go back to the days of ORGAN ONLY, but we can still use it from time to time. The in-arena experience is not a hockey experience, it's a generic corporate experience with a hockey game in the middle.
I think the in-game music has gotten noticeably better this year. Lots of classics and much less chart pop garbage.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Sloppy outside of the first 7 minutes of the game and last 15 minutes of the game. Just win, baby. I have to give it to these guys, for as bad as they played in the first 2 periods, after they gave up the 2nd goal they bared down and really drove the play.

Myers- was the reason the Jets stopped cycling 5 times.
  • Held the offensive blueline with a poke check and skated to the circle ripping a good snap shot for a scoring chance.
  • Stopped a 2-1 by reacting to a bouncing puck along the boards at our defensive blueline, closed on it, and swiped it away. Months ago he might hesitate there and get caught.
  • Fake shot to change the angle on a defenseman sliding to block the shot…caused him to slide out of the play. Fanf***ingtastic to see him consistently creating space and changing the shot angle, last year and the beginning of this year a big issue of his was being predictable with his shot. That could lead to a block and a rush the other way, or just a muffed offensive possession. He’s learning. I’m having fun.
NAK is tenacious and fast. I’m loving it. Took on 2 Jets in the NZ on the boards and won the puck. In the 2nd he had a fantastic shift where he battled for 2 pucks, each one resulting in quality chances

Pitlick- see above, just not as fast. He made some excellent plays, especially in the 3rd, to keep the pressure on the O zone or to relieve the pressure in the D zone. Both so important in managing the momentum of the game.

Raffl- really played well today, especially in transition. He wasn’t the guy to poke the puck away for example but seemed to be in great spots to pick up loose pucks to carry through the NZ. He earned a promotion for tonight for sure and I can’t complain about AV’s decision at all.

Hart- no softies. Excellent. You can’t ask for anything else.

Hagg is bad. Let’s not talk about it.

This was certainly one of those to count your lucky stars on, because the Flyers got completely destroyed. Myers was the best skater out there today in my eyes, with the members of the bottom 6- especially the 4th line- contributing which is huge. Gone are the days where this is a true 1 or 2 line team even on days like today where we watched 2 periods of struggles. Despite this, the Provorov-Niskanen pair turned in excellent possession metrics (62 CF%, 74.5 xGF%) matching up against Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler. Provorov’s skate on the first goal was something you love to see. On the flip side, Sanheim-Myers saw sub 40s in each CF% and xGF%, and lost their matchup against Laine-Copp-Connor. As seen above though, Myers especially made some fantastic individual plays throughout the game.

Looking specifically at some more forwards, the 4th line churned out a 61.5 CF% and a 55% xGF leading the charge. The new look 2nd line turned in an 83 CF% and a 96 xGF% with Raffl subbed in for Farabee during a 3rd where things started clicking across the board. AV didn’t criticize Farabee in the post game presser, instead saying Raffl was playing well enough to earn more minutes. Funny enough, the first line turned in a 50 CF% but a 61 xGF%....talk about quick strike offense! All in all, possession was spotty outside of the 4th line and the Provorov pair which should surprise no one who watched the game.

Scoreboard is looking good so far. Let’s go Vegas and let’s go Toronto (ew).

oKo4TkW.gif

giphy.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking beyond all the hockey stuff, it is refreshing having a coach who isn't a total monotone robot hard ass with the personality of black mold. It was exhaustingly boring on and off ice. There's not a coach who doesn't wear out his welcome eventually, and hockey decisions are paramount, but humor and earnest emotion and a pinch of personality goes a long way. This team is fun and has some bite and character from the coach to the players. What I'm really saying is f*ck Dave Hakstol to kingdom come. And Therrien can still join him.
pfXL2nd.gif

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

There is a lot of angst, and the in-arena presentation is absolutely horrid. It's too much, it doesn't connect with anyone, and it's not helping the situation. Your fans are mostly beer-chugging 45 year old men. Don't play f*cking My Chemical Romance or Tyga or Maren Morris in the arena. Give them a little organ and the same old classic rock: Some teams are smart enough to identify that their crowd is older and male. I mean, hell, Giroux and Jake are, respectively, AC/DC and Springsteen enthusiasts. EMBRACE THE DADNESS.

I get the angst. We all watched the last few years - but I can’t get to the idea that it’s going to take some lengthy run to make that place energetic again. It’s also a little unfair to the current group that you can’t really ever question the effort of. At least not logically.

The boys are doing what they need to do at home, fans should make it a bit of a harder place to play. I think these guys have earned it, especially where they are at this point in the year.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Game scheduled for NHL Network. Excellent. Record it, grab some breakfast, start watching at 11:00 Pacific Square Root Time and zip through the commercials. But nooooooo!

When did Hockey Night in Canada become Hockey Early Afternoon in Philly?

“Hägg heads behind his goal …” Wow, great move up ice. Hagger sure looks good today. Maybe I’ve been too tough on him. Oh, it was Provy. :D

“The Flyers have scored on their last three power plays and the Jets have killed off the last nine times short. A hot power play against a hot penalty kill.” Small sample sizes can be really confusing.

Haysie with a Dennis Savard style spin-o-rama in the first. Is there anything this American hero can’t do? :naughty:

Diggin’ Hart’s Razor mask.

Real glad Elliott wasn’t in net for that one. Hart had to come up with some quick technical saves that aren’t Moose’s strong suit.

Scott Laughton with a nice job at both ends today. Too bad our top-15 shooter (more than 40 games) couldn't find the empty net for his first hattie.

Laine’s shot is pretty sick.

The third period had a playoff vibe which was a lot of fun.

Nice win!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Really? I think it's gotten worse. Unless the "classics" are the addition of some early 2000's emo, which is the only thing I have noticed.

Yeah the emo shit is garbage. That is the type of music you should not longer be listening to once you are in your early 20s...but a lot of people havent grown out of it..including Charlie and this new DJ

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I get the angst. We all watched the last few years - but I can’t get to the idea that it’s going to take some lengthy run to make that place energetic again. It’s also a little unfair to the current group that you can’t really ever question the effort of. At least lot logically.

The boys are doing what they need to do at home, fans should make it a bit of a harder place to play. I think these guys have earned it, especially where they are at this point in the year.

I don't think it's that deep. I think that these people literally just forgot how to get f***ing loud and emotional, and they're going to need to remember somehow. That's the best way.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaphneLion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad