GDT: #61: FLYERS at Canadiens, Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If he can convince them it truly was an accident maybe he gets off with 1 game. I doubt it though. I'm thinking he misses the Stadium Series. Can he appeal it and push it back so he can play?

He's having a conference call hearing today, so from my understanding it can't be 6+ games since it's not an in-person hearing.

I really don't think there's a reason for him to try and appeal it honestly. It's pretty obvious and the suspension will probably be handed down today so if he did appeal he MIGHT be able to play Thursday, but I doubt it would be stretched out enough to let him play Saturday. I also don't know if you can even appeal a smaller suspension.

Reactions: Curufinwe

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
nothing against gudas but I Hope's hes suspended at least 2 games so Myers can play.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Gudas already suspended 10 games for a vicious slash? So he will be considered a repeat offender for that type of offense and is going to probably get 2-3 games.

Maybe Myers plays well enough that when Gudas is available, they sit MacDonald finally?

Sad that we need injuries or suspensions to see players that both deserve to play and will also make the team better.

lolno

Reactions: Rebels57

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
He's having a conference call hearing today, so from my understanding it can't be 6+ games since it's not an in-person hearing.

I really don't think there's a reason for him to try and appeal it honestly. It's pretty obvious and the suspension will probably be handed down today so if he did appeal he MIGHT be able to play Thursday, but I doubt it would be stretched out enough to let him play Saturday. I also don't know if you can even appeal a smaller suspension.

if anything they'd sit ghost then sanheim then haag before mcdonald

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I just think it goes back to the organization’s mindset of winning every game possible. That’s priority number one, and it’s a double edged sword.

They believe the vets give them a better chance, but more importantly value a couple more regular seasons wins above developing kids - if given the choice.

The NHL is truly a game focused on speed, and youth. Flyers need to fully embrace this.
If you’re in Gordok’s spot, it’s tough. He’s just an interim coach fighting for his NHL future. May not get another opportunity. Every game is of massive importance. If he’s not sure what to expect out of Myers it’s surely nerve-wracking. Easy to say he can’t be any worse than guys playing ahead of him (& he probably can’t be) but I can still understand the hesitance.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just think it goes back to the organization’s mindset of winning every game possible. That’s priority number one, and it’s a double edged sword.

They believe the vets give them a better chance, but more importantly value a couple more regular seasons wins above developing kids - if given the choice.

The NHL is truly a game focused on speed, and youth. Flyers need to fully embrace this.

If he actually thinks Mac gives them a better chance to win then that's just yet another perfect example of how stupid Gordon is.

Reactions: BiggE

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
if anything they'd sit ghost then sanheim then haag before mcdonald

I don't think that they necessarily have any crazy love of MacDonald so much that they're just absolutely terrified of running with a defense corps where the average age is literally 23 years old.

Also, Hagg should sit before MacDonald, and Sanheim's bullet proof under the Gordon regime. He clearly sees his as a top pairing defenseman on this team right now.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

The NHLPA can file an appeal to a suspension of 5 or less games with the Commissioner within 48 hours of a decision, just not one with a 3rd party arbitrator. Those are reserved for 6+.

Article 18.12 of the CBA covers the appeals process.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't think that they necessarily have any crazy love of MacDonald so much that they're just absolutely terrified of running with a defense corps where the average age is literally 23 years old.

Also, Hagg should sit before MacDonald, and Sanheim's bullet proof under the Gordon regime. He clearly sees his as a top pairing defenseman on this team right now.

And good for Sanheim, but it shows how bad the D corps is. Or, maybe more accurately, it shows they have one gigantic hole for a true first pairing blue liner.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
And good for Sanheim, but it shows how bad the D corps is. Or, maybe more accurately, it shows they have one gigantic hole for a true first pairing blue liner.

This is a strange post given the thread you responded to, as I was merely pointing out that Gordon is unlikely to sit Sanheim anytime soon based on how he's used him.

Anyway, what it shows is that they're talented but young. Just like Patrick and Lindblom are talented but young. Your inability to look past expected growing pains to see the latent talent of these kids and project the players they're going to grow into is the cause of so many bad takes on your part.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This is a strange post given the thread you responded to, as I was merely pointing out that Gordon is unlikely to sit Sanheim anytime soon based on how he's used him.

Anyway, what it shows is that they're talented but young. Just like Patrick and Lindblom are talented but young. Your inability to look past expected growing pains to see the latent talent of these kids and project the players they're going to grow into is the cause of so many bad takes on your part.
My point was relevant to Sanheim being used as a first pairing dman, & my opinion is that Sanheim being a top-2 defenseman at this point in time is probably not the sign of a contending team. I never said he won’t get better in the future; I’m commenting on the now.

So many people who get offended by my takes don’t want to acknowledge that a player’s potential doesn’t mean he’s that player now.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
My point was relevant to Sanheim being used as a first pairing dman, & my opinion is that Sanheim being a top-2 defenseman at this point in time is probably not the sign of a contending team. I never said he won’t get better in the future; I’m commenting on the now.

So many people who get offended by my takes don’t want to acknowledge that a player’s potential doesn’t mean he’s that player now.

But that wasn't the conversation I was having. :laugh: Your point is a complete non-sequitur. I was only rebutting the idea (made in jest?) that Gordon would sit Sanheim before MacDonald. But you're so obsessed with defeating the hive that you bust in with takes that are completely irrelevant to the actual topic of discussion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Montreal is a tricky team. Doable but keep at it and they should be able to win.

If they look past this game to the Stadium Series even a little bit, it's gonna be an L. They need to take this game very seriously.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Carolina had a talented, but young defensive core that got Peters fired after missing the playoffs for four years.
Meanwhile, TB brings in Girardi (34) and McDonagh (29) and Coburn (33) to go with Stralman (32).

Sometimes there's a balance between talent and experience.
However, MacDonald wouldn't be my first choice for veteran defenseman.
He's not terrible, he's just on a team where like many players, he's asked to do too much.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
But that wasn't the conversation I was having. :laugh: Your point is a complete non-sequitur. I was only rebutting the idea (made in jest?) that Gordon would sit Sanheim before MacDonald. But you're so obsessed with defeating the hive that you bust in with takes that are completely irrelevant to the actual topic of discussion.
I have no idea what you’re getting so uptight about. You mentioned Sanheim was “bullet proof” regarding ice time, surely somewhat tongue in cheek, but acting like a point I made about Sanheim’s “bullet proof” level ice time was a “non sequitur” is nonsensical. Might not have been the point you wanted someone to make, but a reference to Sanheim’s ice time isn’t a non sequitur to a comment about Sanheim’s ice time.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Carolina had a talented, but young defensive core that got Peters fired after missing the playoffs for four years.
Meanwhile, TB brings in Girardi (34) and McDonagh (29) and Coburn (33) to go with Stralman (32).

Clearly we should have drafted Victor Hedman when we had the chance.

Reactions: Magua

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I have no idea what you’re getting so uptight about. You mentioned Sanheim was “bullet proof” regarding ice time, surely somewhat tongue in cheek, but acting like a point I made about Sanheim’s “bullet proof” level ice time was a “non sequitur” is nonsensical. Might not have been the point you wanted someone to make, but a reference to Sanheim’s ice time isn’t a non sequitur to a comment about Sanheim’s ice time.

ObviousHomelyAmericanpainthorse-size_restricted.gif

Dude, calm down, you seem particularly ornery today.

Anyway, it went like this...
Magnum: The organization loves MacDonald, they would even sit Sanheim before him!
Me: Gordon clearly likes Sanheim and is not going to sit him any time soon.
You: SANHEIM'S NOT A TRUE FIRST PAIRING DMAN!

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
ObviousHomelyAmericanpainthorse-size_restricted.gif

Dude, calm down, you seem particularly ornery today.

Anyway, it went like this...
Magnum: The organization loves MacDonald, they would even sit Sanheim before him!
Me: Gordon clearly likes Sanheim and is not going to sit him any time soon.
You: SANHEIM'S NOT A TRUE FIRST PAIRING DMAN!

the two of you can have your fight.

But, my patience is gone.

Myers needs to be given a shot. And that means Mcdonald needs to sit. Period. I don't care about anything else.
Its ridiculous that we have no idea if he's a legit piece going forward or not.

We should have been clearer last season about Sanheim but we werent.... because of Mcdonald. same crap happening again.

I think bennyflyers commented yesterday along the lines---

he had never seen such a poor player cause such a disruption. First, Provorov and Ghost as young dman had to be burdened with carrying him. Then he blocked Sanheim. Now he's blocking Myers and soon Morin.
Not to mention myers and Morin should have been given a real chance last season. Morin should have never been sent down. Maybe he gets hurt, maybe he doesn't/

Its a freaking joke at this point. And makes me think the Flyers will never have management/coaching required to win a cup.

Reactions: DaphneLion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad