Post-Game Talk: 6 wins in our last 24 games.

space321

May 11, 2011
Realistically Talbot had next to no trade value. I'm still happy for him though, hope he canturn it around next year. No goalie is going to play well behind our "defense" lol.

Reactions: Mick David

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean realistically though what is the trade value of a goalie with a sub .900 save percentage this year and an unimpressive .908 last year. Not that that's all his fault, but who's going to give some big asset for this player.

The right move is for the team to allow Talbot to rebound here, like any team does with their premium goalie and not obtain Koskinen, or extend Koskinen, at all. They only needed to move Talbot because of the Koskinen deals.

Talbot will look like a godsend compared to what this Koski contract is going to be looking like. Now we're stuck with him between the pipes, all the time, even when he struggles, which is often enough.

Suddenly we're back to having goaltending as bad as before we got Talbot. Fun times.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Talbot had absolutely zero value since he showed his one good season was a fluke and performed like complete and utter **** since.

Its this kind of thinking that trades all our assets eventually. Talbot is a better goalie than Koskinen, and the best we've had since Roloson. Now we don't have him. No redo's as we know already with Hall and Eberle.
This is just a team getting worse and worse because it compromises itself all the time.

Soon as we extended Koskinen to a ridiculous contract everyteam in the league knew we had to move Talbot. But the Oilers org did this to themselves.

No need anymore for another org to bend us over. this org f***s itself

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The right move is for the team to allow Talbot to rebound here, like any team does with their premium goalie and not obtain Koskinen, or extend Koskinen, at all. They only needed to move Talbot because of the Koskinen deals.

Talbot will look like a godsend compared to what this Koski contract is going to be looking like. Now we're stuck with him between the pipes, all the time, even when he struggles, which is often enough.

Suddenly we're back to having goaltending as bad as before we got Talbot. Fun times.

They already signed another guy though to effectively take his job at his salary though. He was done here, lowering himself to sign like a $2 mill deal here to be back up to Koskinen on principal was embarrassing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

The team “allowed” Talbot to rebound for 2 straight seasons, and every opportunity he had he fell on his face. Which is why he has near ZERO value. You think teams were batting down the doors for a soon to be UFA goalie who probably set an all time record for Goals on First shots allowed while also sporting a sub .900 save percentage?

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They already signed another guy though to effectively take his job at his salary though. He was done here, lowering himself to sign like a $2 mill deal here to be back up to Koskinen on principal was embarrassing.

I think you missed my point that there was never any point to go out on the limb for Koskinen. Just keep Talbot, surround him by better players in front of him eventually, and hope the team as a whole gets better. Goaltending wasn't really the issue. I don't buy it. Good goalies, and Talbot is one, rebound eventually. Every goalie in the league struggles except Vasilevsky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think you missed my point that there was never any point to go out on the limb for Koskinen. Just keep Talbot, surround him by better players in front of him eventually, and hope the team as a whole gets better. Goaltending wasn't really the issue. I don't buy it. Good goalies, and Talbot is one, rebound eventually. Every goalie in the league struggles except Vasilevsky

That was never going to happen though once Kosko was signed. Talbot was done here from that point on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The team “allowed” Talbot to rebound for 2 straight seasons, and every opportunity he had he fell on his face. Which is why he has near ZERO value. You think teams were batting down the doors for a soon to be UFA goalie who probably set an all time record for Goals on First shots allowed while also sporting a sub .900 save percentage?

Talbot was exceptional, fantastic really, as recently as March and April last season. He had some scintillating games this season as well and on the whole looked to be turning it around. His stats in 2019 are better than Koskinens. Talbots stats LAST season were better than Koskis this season.

Bullcrap the team allowed Talbot two years. he was gonna be gone as soon as the Oil went on a fishing trip to Russia and not much of a surprise. What do you think Talbot and his agent thought about the Oilers paying a backup 2.5M? It was obvious from the start which direction the Oilers were going and that they extended Koskinen even though he's been mostly lousy in 2019 confirms they were going to do it anyway. The team decided on Koskinen in the summer. I don't believe anything else.

English Bob

Jul 27, 2007
Edmonton
The trade has to be judged based on the current reality. You can’t bash the trade with ‘they shouldn’t have signed Koskinen to that extension etc.’ They did and that GM is gone now. They didn’t take back salary, term, or give up a pick. They got what looks to be at minimum an NHL Backup. It’s actually a bit of a win.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Did you ever stop to notice that none of the other goalies here have been very good either?

I see Koskinen stopped the first shot but not the next two... if it was Talbot, just imagine the outrage..

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well every player here is done before they need to be. Looks like that's not changing at all. Next is Nurse, mark it down.
Talbot is a UFA at the end of the year, and they needed to shed salary...the fact Gretz got Stolarz back instead of Elliott?
Philly really didn't need to do this trade, and could've waited until summer and got him for free...
Definite props to Gretz.......already better than Chia,
Show him how it's done
6uhx.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Keith didn't pay a Chia-tax on this deal but I will wait until when/if he delivers an actual roster player that benefits the team without paying through the nose for it before saying he's made a "good trade".

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I know it's hindsight and hate dwelling in **** like that, but...geez, if the 2015 draft done correct?
Aho - McD- RNH
Hall - Drai- Barzal
This team would be in cap hell. And the defense would stink as well.
The trade has to be judged based on the current reality. You can’t bash the trade with ‘they shouldn’t have signed Koskinen to that extension etc.’ They did and that GM is gone now. They didn’t take back salary, term, or give up a pick. They got what looks to be at minimum an NHL Backup. It’s actually a bit of a win.
Are you implying that Chia decided that signing by himself days before he was fired?

space321

May 11, 2011
Is there a reason Rattie is back to 10 minutes a game, not fully healthy or what? I know Kassian got an assist today but that was like the easiest pass of all time. I don't see what Kassian does on that top line that someone else couldn't. The 2 on 1 before right before it went to 3-1, Kassian completely flubbed the pass. He neither saucered it nor tried to thread it across, just tape to tape to the defender who didn't even move his stick. Why does Hitchcock have a love affair with this guy?

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Talbot is a UFA at the end of the year, and they needed to shed salary...the fact Gretz got Stolarz back instead of Elliott?
Philly really didn't need to do this trade, and could've waited until summer and got him for free...

From a Flyers perspective they have the remainder of the season to test drive him and see if he rebounds. This reduces the off season risk signing him blind with term. But the Flyers also concluded Stolarz was not going to be the trusted proven backup - Talbot was a better fit to mentor Hart as a veteran and close friend.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This team would be in cap hell. And the defense would stink as well.

Are you implying that Chia decided that signing by himself days before he was fired?

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the reality was Chia did much of the work on the Kosko deal. It's the exact same one he gave Talbot prematurely in 2016.

Past that I think Chiarelli's "strategy" was to keep making moves to show that he was "still in charge" as he likely felt the walls closing in. "Can't fire me! I'm still making big moves, at least give me until year end!" was likely his thinking, probably thought if he kept active it would prevent a lull where the org would can him.

But the fan response during that home losing streak was getting so ugly that Nicholson was likely blasted by Katz and had to make a move, but I honestly think if they were winning that Detroit game at intermission 1 ... Chia is not fired then, lol.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It actually wouldn't surprise me if the reality was Chia did much of the work on the Kosko deal. It's the exact same one he gave Talbot prematurely in 2016.

Past that I think Chiarelli's "strategy" was to keep making moves to show that he was "still in charge" as he likely felt the walls closing in. "Can't fire me! I'm still making big moves, at least give me until year end!" was likely his thinking, probably thought if he kept active it would prevent a lull where the org would can him.

But the fan response during that home losing streak was getting so ugly that Nicholson was likely blasted by Katz and had to make a move, but I honestly think if they were winning that Detroit game at intermission 1 ... Chia is not fired then, lol.

That they allowed him to make those deals is a damn joke.

Idk, i wasn't a big fan I'd bringing koski in the first place, it really screws your top guys psychy, tells him you don't believe in him. But signing him in the first place isn't terrible. But the extension? What? Why? You don'tthink we coulda got the best of the two goaltenders at the end of the year?

Just terrible asset management. Why this team has sucked for so damn long. We dont acquire assets from the draft well. And those that we do, we put in a position to fail while they are under this huge media bubble, have the media & fans tar and feather them, and then move on from prematurely when their value is completely tanked.

Just move the club to Seattle. The city would be better for it.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
How so?, and if he would've made the 4th OA (Pulju) for Mcdonagh?

This team would be sittin pretty.
Aho and Barzal would get at least $8 million. Hall would want at least 9 after his contract is up. It would be much worse than Toronto.
It actually wouldn't surprise me if the reality was Chia did much of the work on the Kosko deal.
It would suprise me. Nicholson said at the press conference that it was a decision they all made, and seeing that Chia got fired I would say that it was more OBC than Chia.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That they allowed him to make those deals is a damn joke.

Idk, i wasn't a big fan I'd bringing koski in the first place, it really screws your top guys psychy, tells him you don't believe in him. But signing him in the first place isn't terrible. But the extension? What? Why? You don'tthink we coulda got the best of the two goaltenders at the end of the year?

Just terrible asset management. Why this team has sucked for so damn long. We dont acquire assets from the draft well. And those that we do, we put in a position to fail while they are under this huge media bubble, have the media & fans tar and feather them, and then move on from prematurely when their value is completely tanked.

Just move the club to Seattle. The city would be better for it.

Amen to this whole post, somebody gets it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad