Post-Game Talk: 6 wins in our last 24 games.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Aho McD RNH
Hall Drai Barz
$34.8M

Kass McD Drai
Luc RNH Chia
$35.65M

... of course things are never that easy, but we're already in the same (or worse) cap hell without that all-star top6.

We weren’t taking Barzal. It’s time to let that go.

I said the same day they hired Hitchcock, i didn't think that was a wise choice for this team...It looks like that was right thinking.

They didnt need that type of guy coming in to beat them down more....and play his older style thinking

Look at St Louis..last place dwellers..fired the coach...stumbled a bit after the change.. then like a rocket down the stretch here in a playoff spot now...

Blackhawks same thing.....coach change...stumbled a bit after..then here they come 3 pts out of wildcard spot....

Oilers should remove Hitch ...bring in a positive motivator rest of season..open up and play fill the net type hockey let them run....nothing to lose....

We’ve got nothing but a bunch of 4th line wingers. the only way this team can win is if they all play flat out every time they step on the ice. They aren’t, and we need to change that culture. A positive influence likely isn’t fixing that imo. We’re not Vegas where everyone’s coming in with a clean slate looking to prove people wrong. We’ve got a lazy, loser culture, and it needs to be fixed.

NO ONE WAS TAKING TALBOT. The guy had 0 trade value. You clearly get obsessed with players you like. At least Draisaitl is actually good when you're defending him.

Talbot had 1 good season. The 17-18 season is on his horrendous play as much as it is the defense. His angles suck, he gives up huge rebounds and over commits all the time.

The fact that Gretzky didn't give up a pick for someone to take him is a minor miracle and there was 0 chance he was resigning here.

There are a million other things to **** on the org for. Getting anything for a close to league worst starter isn't it.

A few things. Obviously there was a market for him, because we got positive value for him. So you’re wrong.

He had 4 good seasons. Even now he has a career .915 SV%. Claiming he had one good season is ridiculous. The reason there was a market for him is other teams aren’t as shortsighted as this fanbase.

He literally said he was disappointed to go and thought he would be here for the rest of his career. Our management didn’t even offer him an extension. That might be your opinion, but it’s far from a fact.

Extending the wrong goalie, and to a horrible contract, is precisely the type of thing people should be critical of management about.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Next on the board was Kyle Connor
Next after that was Thomas Chabot

Quit pretending like we wouldn't have gotten an impact player in what everyone said was the deepest draft in decades.

“Pretending”? We were taking Eriksson Ek or Svechnikov. Those aren’t impact players. Criticize our scouting all day for that draft, but we were not getting an impact player with that pick, and pretending we would have one of those other 3 is living in a fantasy world

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I'm sick of media stories saying that the Oilers are "outplaying" teams these days. They're not. Just because they're outshooting them doesn't mean that the plays are ever dangerous. Even the high-danger chances numbers are extremely deceptive, because even our shots from the slot are (99% of the time) on goalies who have time to set up and are generating no dangerous second chances. Drai's open net last night was literally the only cross-crease play I saw them make. Everything else is the same old Corsi-inflating BS, wrist shot from the point, wrist shot from the point, etc. This is why they are losing right now, period: the teams they are playing are making good passes/plays in the offensive zone. That's the whole story.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
A few things. Obviously there was a market for him, because we got positive value for him. So you’re wrong.

He had 4 good seasons. Even now he has a career .915 SV%. Claiming he had one good season is ridiculous. The reason there was a market for him is other teams aren’t as shortsighted as this fanbase.

He literally said he was disappointed to go and thought he would be here for the rest of his career. Our management didn’t even offer him an extension. That might be your opinion, but it’s far from a fact.

Extending the wrong goalie, and to a horrible contract, is precisely the type of thing people should be critical of management about.

What is his save percentage in 17-18 and 18-19? There was no market for him. The Oilers didn't get "positive value" for him, they got a kid who "could" be good, for a guy who clearly wasn't anymore.

They didn't extend the wrong goalie, neither of them deserved an extension. I don't like Koskinen's poor pick tracking and Talbot had 1.5 seasons to prove he still had it and he didn't.

Talbot sucks and so does Koskinen.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm sick of media stories saying that the Oilers are "outplaying" teams these days. They're not. Just because they're outshooting them doesn't mean that the plays are ever dangerous. Even the high-danger chances numbers are extremely deceptive, because even our shots from the slot are (99% of the time) on goalies who have time to set up and are generating no dangerous second chances. Drai's open net last night was literally the only cross-crease play I saw them make. Everything else is the same old Corsi-inflating BS, wrist shot from the point, wrist shot from the point, etc. This is why they are losing right now, period: the teams they are playing are making good passes/plays in the offensive zone. That's the whole story.
BS, apparently you never saw the Pittsburgh game. McDavid could have had 4 goals in that one alone if he was on, or Murray wasn't great. Oilers hd by far the better and more numerous grade A chances in that one.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What is his save percentage in 17-18 and 18-19? There was no market for him. The Oilers didn't get "positive value" for him, they got a kid who "could" be good, for a guy who clearly wasn't anymore.

They didn't extend the wrong goalie, neither of them deserved an extension. I don't like Koskinen's poor pick tracking and Talbot had 1.5 seasons to prove he still had it and he didn't.

Won't argue with that. My issue is that one of them is now costing us nothing and other will be costing us precious 13 million cap space for the next 3 years, while still sucking.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Won't argue with that. My issue is that one of them is now costing us nothing and other will be costing us precious 13 million cap space for the next 3 years, while still sucking.

I don't think Talbot will ever be 16-17 Talbot again. I'm sure he'll be a serviceable back up in Philly, but if Hart stays on track, Cam will never come close to being that good again.

Goalies are tough because it's really a young man's position, but they don't get good and experienced until they're approaching 30, when their athleticism is starting to decline. Unless they're some sort of freak like Luongo.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’m not sure if you understand what positive value is. Stolarz is an asset teams would want. He does not have negative value. So Talbot going one for one for him means Talbot had positive value.

They did extend the wrong goalie. Talbot was once a very good goalie, and has played better again of late. Koskinen has never been good. I can see the logic of not signing either. I can see the logic of signing Talbot. I can’t see why we’d sign Koskinen

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

I don't entirely agree. Usually I would, but not on this roadtrip. I think we had some outplay in these games. Not everything was muff and we also worked some good chaos plays. Nuge is really raising it to another level with those, Drai does it, and Gagner brought that last night just getting pucks to danger areas. We need to do more of that, and get some dirty. Islanders did that on a few plays last night that almost went. Connor go the message and was trying to bull some pucks in which is good to see. As good as Connor is sometimes him and Drai try to do too much.

As far as the cross ice stuff needs to be stated that we played 3 teams that played a good game. Not saying that casually, sometimes opponents are not too good but all of these were. The Pena and Canes are involved in a knockout playoff battle and the Islanders, under Trotz, are just playing damn good. There wasn't a lot of cross ice, or open ice available. the Draisaitl goal was created by the unexpected Klefbom pinch which made that play and caught the Islanders in a rare moment with poor numbers back. We exploited it well. They don't give you a lot, and when they do its premium goaltending.

All goalies played well against (common, its true) but two of these are just really great goalies.

Reactions: LaGu

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
“Pretending”? We were taking Eriksson Ek or Svechnikov. Those aren’t impact players. Criticize our scouting all day for that draft, but we were not getting an impact player with that pick, and pretending we would have one of those other 3 is living in a fantasy world

I love how some of you buy into the BS they spew to cover their own ass. Of course they are going to say they were going to take he worst possible players. That’s how they try to save face with the brutal trade and idiots lap that up.

Reactions: harpoon

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I love how some of you buy into the BS they spew to cover their own ass. Of course they are going to say they were going to take he worst possible players. That’s how they try to save face with the brutal trade and idiots lap that up.

You do realize that some of the people on this board actually have sources right? Much like how a certain other poster knew it was Sergachev we were taking up until Columbus passed on Pulju. That’s why I also mentioned Svechnikov instead of just Eriksson Ek who Bob talks about.

Reactions: Patch101

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
You do realize that some of the people on this board actually have sources right? Much like how a certain other poster knew it was Sergachev we were taking up until Columbus passed on Pulju. That’s why I also mentioned Svechnikov instead of just Eriksson Ek who Bob talks about.

Sure. It’s quite predictable that after every terrible move the org does there is a chorus of “well we would have done this anyway. Not the smart thing. So who cares get over it”

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Sure. It’s quite predictable that after every terrible move the org does there is a chorus of “well we would have done this anyway. Not the smart thing. So who cares get over it”

I literally said our scouting department deserves criticism for it. My point is just that there’s no sense getting worked up over something that wasn’t ever going to happen. Or are you also upset we took say Tuohimaa instead of Palat? Or Vesel over Labanc?

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I’m not sure if you understand what positive value is. Stolarz is an asset teams would want. He does not have negative value. So Talbot going one for one for him means Talbot had positive value.

They did extend the wrong goalie. Talbot was once a very good goalie, and has played better again of late. Koskinen has never been good. I can see the logic of not signing either. I can see the logic of signing Talbot. I can’t see why we’d sign Koskinen

Sure, I guess if you want to call that positive go ahead, I call it a wash.

Talbot was never going to return to 16-17 Talbot. There was no way he was going to sign for the backup money they can afford, so he needed to go.

I agree that Koskinen is not the answer and shouldn't have been extended, though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure, I guess if you want to call that positive go ahead, I call it a wash.

Talbot was never going to return to 16-17 Talbot. There was no way he was going to sign for the backup money they can afford, so he needed to go.

I agree that Koskinen is not the answer and shouldn't have been extended, though.
I think we all need to move on from Talbot - he is not an Oiler anymore, and on to the next chapter in his hockey life. We should now concentrate and comment on our latest shitty signing.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

We’ve got nothing but a bunch of 4th line wingers. the only way this team can win is if they all play flat out every time they step on the ice. They aren’t, and we need to change that culture. A positive influence likely isn’t fixing that imo. We’re not Vegas where everyone’s coming in with a clean slate looking to prove people wrong. We’ve got a lazy, loser culture, and it needs to be fixed.

So you would prefer Talbot as our goalie and would sign him?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Not the point of the post.
It was about being in cap-hell if we had made different choices back then, which may be true. Problem is that we're already there without those hypothetical "ideal" choices... It's a top heavy team despite having crap for wingers.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Every game in the next week we play a team in a back to back after they play Calgary first, lets see how bad this team really is. Yikes

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Missed the game and just watched the highlights. How did Anders Lee not get a hearing for that vicious stick on nurse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->