Prospect Info: 6 scouts sacked -Gare-MACGREGOR -Davis-Hawley-Samenko-Moores

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hyperbole much? :sarcasm:

I do think it's a good thing to get rid of the OBC.

Was Semenko really a scout with the Oilers for 18 years?

:laugh: I really wanted to drive the point home. I think I succeeded. I hold nothing but disdain for all who were fired today, in a professional manner.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Just curious. Wouldn't it have been better to this next week instead of having a bunch of guys with knowledge of our draft board out on the street.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Just curious. Wouldn't it have been better to this next week instead of having a bunch of guys with knowledge of our draft board out on the street.

If they would like to be unemployed AND getting sued, then I guess they could spill the beans.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Does it really matter? Most teams have probably figured out who they want by now too, so I doubt picking up a few guys right before the draft (who were terrible at their jobs) would change anything.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If they would like to be unemployed AND getting sued, then I guess they could spill the beans.

Yeah it would be hard to prove though. Just figured it would be easier to wait a week.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

i imagine they are out on the streetsbecause they didnt do a good job the last year...thus the Oilers didnt trust their knowledge and werent going to need them.

i doubt anyone would care for a scouts thoughts who just got fired the week leading into the draft. thats a pretty big statement there.

personally it seems like MacT has been doing what Stu should have been doing (ever since MacT was hired back with the Oilers). he had way more international flights to meet with scouts and observe players than a normal GM does. That tells me he didnt trust Stu.

A GM is a big job...if youve double checked the scouting and you and your head scout see eye to eye...you step back and let him do his job. MacT increased his amount of trips. Not a good sign. then you get MacT going away from the scout lists because he starts trusting certain scout recommendations more than others. Musil is one scout you can tell by drafting that MacT relied on...and its paid off.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
As a guy who has been calling for their removal since 2007, I'd have no problem congratulating them if the team turns around. To me it doesn't matter how you get there, just that you get there. My issue is somewhere down the road if things don't turn around. This roster is still a mess and it's likely going to still take time to fix. What if Chiarelli's way of doing things doesn't fall in line with Lowe's way of thinking and success doesn't come right away? Do we see a power struggle? Lowe's been close with Katz for 30 years. If he isn't happy does he try to wrestle control back. We've seen the deck chairs shuffled around before in this organization and seen how the hierarchy settles. As long as they're around it's always a possibility.

i dont think you have to worry. Lowe is involved with the Oil Kings and has been for the last two seasons...before that his main focus was building the ECHL affiliate..before that it was strengthening AHL farm system.

i wish they would just come out and say it...because the guy has done a good job.
He doesnt really get involved in Oilers day to day business but is involved day to day in the OEG properties

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

as I said earlier

when you in the war room or on the draft floor--you only want guys who's voices you trust--there are certain positions in hockey when you do not want them around any more--you kick them to the street. Those six guys did not have the ear of Chia Pet or Green so they are gone.

The last thing you need on either day is to hear the opinion of a guy you know you are about to fire-if you have decided to go in a certain way on draft day--hearing from people you do not want to hear from could slow things down.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Elliot Friedman was on Primetime Sports today talking about it. He said he talked to other GM's today to ask when the best time to fire scouts was. He said they told him there's no good time. Contracts expire June 30 so it had to be done before then. They figured it's actually worse doing it after the draft because the scouts could be feeling good on draft day because of their picks and then the GM has to fire them a day or two later. May as well do it before the draft if you're going to do it. Friedman figured the team earned points around the league by paying their salaries for next year too.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

But why would they listen to fired scouts who couldn't draft NHL players after the 1st round. Would be rather risky of a NHL team considering our very lacking drafting history.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
One thing I really like about Chia interviews.

They actually sound intelligent.

lol that people used to say that about Eakins. Although I never understood why.

Chia still reminds me of a Tony Soprano somehow. Not a guy to mess with I suspect. Slow burn and intensity.

Would like this disposition in a coach.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
lol that people used to say that about Eakins. Although I never understood why.

Chia still reminds me of a Tony Soprano somehow. Not a guy to mess with I suspect. Slow burn and intensity.

Would like this disposition in a coach.

when the interview started his voice was so rough, kinda like he took the scouts out in the alley and did away with them.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hyperbole much? :sarcasm:

I do think it's a good thing to get rid of the OBC.

Was Semenko really a scout with the Oilers for 18 years?

There is a story behind why he was around for so long. Not my place to say why but it goes back to something that the OBC was sort of good at. The Montreal Canadians still have the saying "Once a Canadian--always a Canadian"--The team used to take care of former players after their days were done (usually but not always). Samenko had 18 years to sort it out and hopefully he did

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Hey guys, remember "Next year, is a development year."

Man, we were all so livid, and depressed that day. Little did we know of the wonderful summer that was ahead of us.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

I sincerely doubt anyone in the NHL cares much about the internal list put together by a scouting staff that has been one of the worst in the NHL post-1st round over the last 7 years

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I sincerely doubt anyone in the NHL cares much about the internal list put together by a scouting staff that has been one of the worst in the NHL post-1st round over the last 7 years

Seriously, who else would hire ****ing Cementhead as a scout anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad