Prospect Info: 6 scouts sacked -Gare-MACGREGOR -Davis-Hawley-Samenko-Moores

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
They actually skidded Semenko?!?!? Wow!!!!

Well, you've got to believe that if Lowe had any say or influence, that most definitely would not have happened. This IS Chia's show.

Still bothers me, tho, that Lowe, Mact and Howson get to survive the house cleaning when they are the MOST deserving of receiving pink slips.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
i dont mind these moves, but i still think alot of the problem comes with development as well. if our development was "perfect" we would still see a prospect or two fight the odds and make it, but seeing as we havent seen late round picks develop, i am thinking that our way of developing players needs to change. let them be over ripe in the minors, let them play out their full junior eligibility. make them earn a spot and make them hungry to fight to be a pro.

just my two cents

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
They actually skidded Semenko?!?!? Wow!!!!

Well, you've got to believe that if Lowe had any say or influence, that most definitely would not have happened. This IS Chia's show.

Still bothers me, tho, that Lowe, Mact and Howson get to survive the house cleaning when they are the MOST deserving of receiving pink slips.

Yup. Perhaps the upper crust simply gets to live out their contacts.

Best wishes to Mr. Semenko. A good man and a true Oiler.

Oct 15, 2008
Not MacTavish. Chia was asked about what's going to happen with the head scouting position. He said Bob Green is the Director of Player Personnel and that Bob, Howson, and MacGregor have been part of a group that put the draft list together. Going forward Green and Howson would have expanded duties (for scouting, I assume).

Later he said he's discussed a variety of duties with MacTavish but hasn't settled on a title yet. Same for Howson (sounds like he lost his "VP of Hockey Ops" title, though).

Damn. Thanks for this. Virginia there really is a Santa Claus!

There's still hope. He also seemed to say that he wasnt done cleaning house yet!

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
i dont mind these moves, but i still think alot of the problem comes with development as well. if our development was "perfect" we would still see a prospect or two fight the odds and make it, but seeing as we havent seen late round picks develop, i am thinking that our way of developing players needs to change. let them be over ripe in the minors, let them play out their full junior eligibility. make them earn a spot and make them hungry to fight to be a pro.

just my two cents

We've actually been doing that with later picks. One of the few things that's been done right.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I read up on what you guys were saying about MacGregor and decided to give it a year-by-year look and see what they did in each draft. Jesus, no wonder... I'd be pissed off too with that body of work.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/22/edmonton-oilers-fire-four-scouts/

Hopefully this draft is much, much better for you guys.

Fair analysis and obviously this was a long time coming. Also, thanks for posting this in our existing thread instead of a new one. Helps keep clutter down.

Re: the house cleaning, this summer keeps getting better and better! I can't wait to see what Chia does next :D

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Fair analysis and obviously this was a long time coming. Also, thanks for posting this in our existing thread instead of a new one. Helps keep clutter down.

Re: the house cleaning, this summer keeps getting better and better! I can't wait to see what Chia does next :D

Rule to follow: If there be a thread about it already, post it there. ;)

I've talked with several of my colleagues about the situation in Edmonton and we were wondering when the clean-up would happen, if ever at all. The next day, we hear MacTavish is replaced by Chiarelli, and everything that came after it. Hopefully results start to show now, because the team is going to be very, very good. With better drafting and a GM that knows how to surround talent with capable veterans, I think we see a new Oilers team next year.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You are wrong.

Bob Nicholson said at his PC that Lowe would still have a say in hockey ops. Mactavish too.

Frankly you or I have no idea how big of a role Lowe has in hockey ops, so Im not sure why you claim that you do.

At the end of the day, for an organization that is re-branding itself there is literally no reason to keep Lowe, Mact or Howson around. None. The fact that they ALL are still here is troubling to me, and it should be to every other fan sans Narnia too.

Nicholson said that any Lowe involvement in the hockey ops side would be up to Chia.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oh yeah! 4 more gone!

EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING!

kool-aid-man.jpg

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Maybe it's just me but for all you Lebowsky guys I can't get over how much Stu McGregor looks like Jesus Quintata's bowling partner Liam it's uncanny

Floyd McJiveson

Nov 27, 2013
Man. Watching the Chia conference and Jim Matheson had something serious stuck in his teeth. it distracted me the entire time hahaha.

Oct 15, 2008
At the end of the day a bunch of people lost their jobs in a tough field. I hope they all do well in whatever their next endeavor may be.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I, however, feel that this needed employment genocide of the OBC and their goons is going to allow for a refreshing start to next season.

Hyperbole much? :sarcasm:

I do think it's a good thing to get rid of the OBC.

Was Semenko really a scout with the Oilers for 18 years?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
At the end of the day a bunch of people lost their jobs in a tough field. I hope they all do well in whatever their next endeavor may be.

i support the last two drafts. The firings make alot of sense to me, considering the trips MacT took and the rumors of which scouts he trusted the most. as far as scouting goes, MacT was very involved for a GM.
for people who bash Musil being a scout and repeating their dead horse OBC rhetoric; he is OUR MAN in the region with most negativity for draft picks but MacT obviously, despite the negativity, trusted assessments from Musils camp of scouts. some nice picks from there. each scout has their area and dont watch much outside of it other than Wjhc etc. so when your Finnish draft order is messed every year, or your swedish...you should axe them. the musil camp picks seem to be good for their placement imo.

i can definitely see MacT being Chias draft consult. MacT gets alot of blame (especially for years he wasnt even here and disgustingly in some cases the years he spent being treated and recovering from cancer) but ive liked his draft record and his personal involvement in flying around the world to get first hand knowledge of those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad