Prospect Info: 6 scouts sacked -Gare-MACGREGOR -Davis-Hawley-Samenko-Moores

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is there something to our guy from the Q not getting sacked?

The drafting from there hasn't been that impressive in recent history.

Possibly more fuel to the Meier/Svechnikov talk?

We haven't really drafted anyone out of the Q to be honest. Roy is about it. Not even a pick a year

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
We haven't really drafted anyone out of the Q to be honest. Roy is about it. Not even a pick a year

For me, the Q is the most misunderstood league but a league where you can find a ton of value if you understand the various factors and its impacts on the teams/players.

It seems like in the last number of years, the Oilers simply avoided the Q all together.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For me, the Q is the most misunderstood league but a league where you can find a ton of value if you understand the various factors and its impacts on the teams/players.

It seems like in the last number of years, the Oilers simply avoided the Q all together.

Doesn't help when your head scout is in the BCHL and then the team is in love with the Oil Kings so they spend so much time scouting the dub.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like Boston really was nailing down the Swedes the past two years and then the OHL for quite some time. Be interesting to see how PC proceeds.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks like Boston really was nailing down the Swedes the past two years and then the OHL for quite some time. Be interesting to see how PC proceeds.

well if they need a swedish scout can I apply for the job? Already got my plans for Sweden for the Hockey season--taking in games in Stockholm, Jönköping and Linköping this time around

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
well if they need a swedish scout can I apply for the job? Already got my plans for Sweden for the Hockey season--taking in games in Stockholm, Jönköping and Linköping this time around

You got some serious Swedish competition for the scouting job

Swedish-Chef-swedish-chef-16861469-460-276.jpg

Oops, scratch that. This was Pre-Chia era. Nope. Looks like you are a shoo-in :thumbu:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
But why would they listen to fired scouts who couldn't draft NHL players after the 1st round. Would be rather risky of a NHL team considering our very lacking drafting history.

I don't mean that they would be tapping the brains of the fired scouts on who they think is good. Just having those guys out there with knowledge of why the org likes is what bothers me. So if hypothetically we have Player X as the guy we want to take at #16 if Ottawa is interested in Player X we wouldn't want one of the guys we just fired telling Ottawa so that they trade up ahead of us.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't mean that they would be tapping the brains of the fired scouts on who they think is good. Just having those guys out there with knowledge of why the org likes is what bothers me. So if hypothetically we have Player X as the guy we want to take at #16 if Ottawa is interested in Player X we wouldn't want one of the guys we just fired telling Ottawa so that they trade up ahead of us.

so, hypothetically, if these guys were to give the Oilers list to another team... so what. I highly doubt a team would take a player they are not 100% sold on just to get the player Edmonton wants.

I fail to see how the Oilers' list of favourite players is really all that valuable to other teams. I suppose there could be a scenario inwhich a team likes 2 players equally, so they take the player Edmonton wants just to be a pain. But all that means is the other player is equally as good. Then add in that Chia is probably trading the 16th and 33rd picks.... pretty insignificant stuff.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I don't know anything about Semenko, but he didn't fit the mold of the kind of person who would become a good scout, that's for sure. It always struck me as a purely old boys club job for him. And he was a pro scout so I let their pro scouting record speak for me on that.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Is there something to our guy from the Q not getting sacked?

The drafting from there hasn't been that impressive in recent history.

Possibly more fuel to the Meier/Svechnikov talk?

He seems to be living off the Ales Hemsky pick. The MAP/JFJ debacle of 2003 is most likely on him too. Our recent Q picks are Keven Bouchard, Marco Roy, and Jeremy Blain (although the last one was supposedly a Prendergast pick). The fact that none of them will likely be offered a contract, one of them being a freaking second round pick, is alarming.

I guess its possible that the players he's recommended in the past who the team didn't choose turned out well, or that he was right on flagging certain players. I know in 2009 the team was supposedly deciding between Scott Glennie (fail) and Dimitri Kulikov for 10th overall before Paajarvi fell. Back in the 2010 draft it seemed that Fowler, Gudbranson, and Gormley were neck and neck, but based on what I saw in Oil change, Gormley wasn't even considered (and judging by his inability to reach the NHL at 23 years old already, it was probably for the best).

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
so, hypothetically, if these guys were to give the Oilers list to another team... so what. I highly doubt a team would take a player they are not 100% sold on just to get the player Edmonton wants.

I fail to see how the Oilers' list of favourite players is really all that valuable to other teams. I suppose there could be a scenario inwhich a team likes 2 players equally, so they take the player Edmonton wants just to be a pain. But all that means is the other player is equally as good. Then add in that Chia is probably trading the 16th and 33rd picks.... pretty insignificant stuff.
Given the Oilers drafting history if you were a GM of another team wouldn't you just burn the list so it doesn't somehow make it to your draft table as the main list?
I don't know anything about Semenko, but he didn't fit the mold of the kind of person who would become a good scout, that's for sure. It always struck me as a purely old boys club job for him. And he was a pro scout so I let their pro scouting record speak for me on that.
The thing is it is damn near impossible to tell how good a guy really is. Most here hated Struds the player, but Struds the radio guy has gotten huge praise on these boards. Enough that I'm sure no one would complain if he was given a job. How about Rocky Thompson? Guy was a plug, yet another guy people really seem to respect.

We'll never really know what these guys really did for the team as they are in a position where they never make a decision based on their info only

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad