Prospect Info: 6 scouts sacked -Gare-MACGREGOR -Davis-Hawley-Samenko-Moores

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Dean Millard ‏@DuckMillard 3h3 hours ago
Hearing the #Oilers have relieved some scouts of their duties. Draft a week from yesterday.
50 retweets 14 favorites
Reply Retweet50 Favorite14
More

has anyone else heard this? and which scouts got kicked to the curb

not sure if this is up to date0--but this is from the website

Amateur Scouts
STU MACGREGOR HEAD AMATEUR SCOUTreportedly sacked
BOB BROWN AMATEUR SCOUT
JIM CROSSON AMATEUR SCOUT
JOSEPH CUCCI AMATEUR SCOUT
BILL DANDY AMATEUR SCOUT
BRAD DAVIS AMATEUR SCOUT reportedly sacjed
PELLE EKLUND AMATEUR SCOUT
KENT HAWLEY AMATEUR SCOUT reportedly sacked
SCOTT HARLOW AMATEUR SCOUT
DAVE HEITZ AMATEUR SCOUT
FRANK MUSIL AMATEUR SCOUT
ROBERT NORDMARK AMATEUR SCOUT
MATTI VIRMANEN AMATEUR SCOUTPro Scouts
MOREY GARE HEAD PRO SCOUT reportedly sacked
CHRIS CICHOCKI PRO SCOUT
DAVE SEMENKO PRO SCOUT reportedly sacked
DUANE SUTTER PRO SCOUT

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 9m9 minutes ago
EDM fired head amateur scout Stu MacGregor tonight as well as two other amateur scouts and one pro scout.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6m6 minutes ago
EDM changes involve both head amateur scout Stu MacGregor and head pro scout Morey Gare. Both had been with organization for over a decade.

Morey gare stats
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=154984

Mark Spector ✔@SportsnetSpec
Further to GM P.Chiarelli's reorganization of EDM's scouting dept, amateur scouts Brad Davis (West) and Kent Hawley (Ont.) also let go. ...
6:22 PM - 21 Jun 2015
22 22 Retweets 8 8 favorites

Semenko and Moores

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-old-oilers-pro-scout-dave-semenko-gets-axed/

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
was obvious the plan was to do that, but no sense in firing them w/o getting their work for the year in.

Bob Green said that the lists have been complied already. There really is nothing left for them to offer for this draft by the sounds of things. That said it'll be interesting to hear who got the boot.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Makes some sense if Chia doesn't think they can offer anything more at this point, not his guys and he likely doesn't value their opinion all that much.

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
I imagine them having a meeting, all the scouts sitting around a table with chia. They pass their lists down the table towards chia and 1 by 1 just drops the lists in to the shredder.

many of the scouts have clearly done a poor job and ought to have been fired years ago.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
chia probably wants to choose a good segment of scouts himself. It makes total sense, just like a coach picking his assistant coaches. It wouldn't make sense to do this well before the draft, while the project of draft preparation was fully under way. This is the natural point to shift out some scouts.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Bob Green said that the lists have been complied already. There really is nothing left for them to offer for this draft by the sounds of things. That said it'll be interesting to hear who got the boot.

btw

I did not see the posts in the draft thread that is why I created this thread--

curious to know if this is the tail end of the Forensic Audi that Mact talked about in Jan?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

I will tell you who didn't. Semenko. Probably Sutter (not an ex-Oiler) and the BCJHL (deservedly) get the boot.

I don't think it was ever the scouts that was the problem; it was the direction and directive they were getting.

It always goes back to bad management, and this organization had the absolute, rock-bottom, worst.

To scapegoat the scouts and retain the managers is... well, its just so Oilers.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I will tell you who didn't. Semenko. Probably Sutter (not an ex-Oiler) and the BCJHL (deservedly) get the boot.

I don't think it was ever the scouts that was the problem; it was the direction and directive they were getting.

It always goes back to bad management, and this organization had the absolute, rock-bottom, worst.

They didn't retain the managers, though. At least not as managers.

And Craig MacTavish, for all the criticism he deserves, was the guy to come in and put the scouts straight. The last two drafts look fairly good in part because he gave a different mandate than Tambellini: Draft skill.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Makes some sense if Chia doesn't think they can offer anything more at this point, not his guys and he likely doesn't value their opinion all that much.

Agreed. I cant blame him for doing that either. The cleansing is still going on. Chia is the **** so far. Hopefully this draft is as good as the 79 and 80 draft years for the Oilers!

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

My goodness, is everything going to OBC this OBC that? You seriously need to let it go.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Amateur Scouts
STU MACGREGOR HEAD AMATEUR SCOUT
BOB BROWN AMATEUR SCOUT
JIM CROSSON AMATEUR SCOUT
JOSEPH CUCCI AMATEUR SCOUT
BILL DANDY AMATEUR SCOUT
BRAD DAVIS AMATEUR SCOUT
PELLE EKLUND AMATEUR SCOUT
KENT HAWLEY AMATEUR SCOUT
SCOTT HARLOW AMATEUR SCOUT
DAVE HEITZ AMATEUR SCOUT
FRANK MUSIL AMATEUR SCOUT
ROBERT NORDMARK AMATEUR SCOUT
MATTI VIRMANEN AMATEUR SCOUTPro Scouts
MOREY GARE HEAD PRO SCOUT
CHRIS CICHOCKI PRO SCOUT
DAVE SEMENKO PRO SCOUT
DUANE SUTTER PRO SCOUT

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=90404

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
btw

I did not see the posts in the draft thread that is why I created this thread--

curious to know if this is the tail end of the Forensic Audi that Mact talked about in Jan?

No idea, I would think that Chia has at least a little input into this. They've all been here long enough to have a track record.

I think that its been a combination of bad scouting and bad management. It should be obvious who's worth their weight in gold and who's worth their weight in manure.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
ohhhhhh happy day!! Stu and his incompetent staff are finally gone! and the incompetent pro scouts are gone too. this Oilers off season just keeps getting better and better! :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad