Prospect Info: 6 scouts sacked -Gare-MACGREGOR -Davis-Hawley-Samenko-Moores

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Worth noting that even though Stu wasn't he head scout in 06/07, he still had a very significant part in that abomination of a first round.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Pro Scouting has been terrible for a while now. Smithson says hello. Amateur scouting needs to be better. Some good picks have been made but there have been more head scratchers than hits.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Now, step 2 is to NOT hire his brother Mike for that job.

Boston was bad outside the first round under Mike Chiarelli as well, and we've had enough nepotistic hirings over the last 15-20 years.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
A lot of people giving credit to Chia, but I suspect Bob Green had a bigger role in this decision they promoted him to oversee all of scouting for a reason and this is him giving his feedback to Chia on who's not doing their job properly. I have mixed feelings on Stu MacGregor he was a bit of a mixed bag, he made some picks I quite liked, but as a whole he wasn't outperforming some other scouting groups; like Boston for example I don't think drafted as well as us. Morey Gare being let go though is well overdue, our pro-scouts were just horrible, they haven't delivered us a solid steal in ages.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
What about Anton Lander?

what about Perhonen, Martindale, Blain, Bunz, Hesketh, Abney, Bigos, Motin....we needed something, anything, from Stu and his boys from when he was hired as head scout in 2008 was it? and we got for the most part bust after bust. yes, he found Marincin, Rieder, Rajala, Pelss, Hartikainen, with only Marty and Rieder playing in the NHL. (RIP Pelss!).

^that right there to me has been the problem. not ONE 2nd liner anywhere or 2nd pairing d-man, though Marincin has a chance. not good enough. we needed good 2nd and 3rd liners from those drafts from years ago that Stu was head of amateur scouting and really we only ended up with Lander and Marincin.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Also, what qualifications do you need to be a pro level scout? 'Know a guy in the organization' seems to be the only qualification needed with some of these guys.
I'm positive that's how Morey Gare got hired in the first place, or at the very least it's how he kept his job for so long even though the pro scouting was pitiful with him as head scout. His older brother Danny played 18 games with Lowe and MacTavish on the 1986-87 Oilers...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It'll be interesting to see how Green fares as the head honcho at the draft table.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Do explain....Im not familiar.....

Boston's head scout for the majority of Chia's tenure as GM in Boston. Fired when his brother was. They didn't piss a drop outside of the first round for as long as he was there.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
The blind squirrel found his nut? Even Lander looked more like a rock than a nut until last season.

For every minor success like Lander and Marincin, there's a Moroz, a Pitlick, a Marco Roy, a David Musil, and on and on. Far too many wasted picks, or trying to draft a specific role player. Absolutely no taking BPA when available.

I'd be willing to bet we'd have a better draft record after the first round if we taped player pictures to a dartboard, got MacT good a liquored, and let him throw.

We shouldn't be letting MacT get liquored and do anything...

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Boston's head scout for the majority of Chia's tenure as GM in Boston. Fired when his brother was. They didn't piss a drop outside of the first round for as long as he was there.

Thanks. Makes sense since we just fired the same guy essentially.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Yah I hope he isn't clearing the decks for his brother....

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
Long overdue for the pro scouting, which has been awful, and yet not held accountable for their consistently terrible performance. There's more of an argument to be made for the amateur scouting side, but honestly, there's room for improvement there.

Hopefully this means that we're going to start to see some good players crop up from the second round onwards. Scouting is an inexact science, but good scouting groups should have more hits, on average, than what we've seen.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I imagine it went something like this.

Chia: "Alright boys, we've been getting a lot of calls about the 16th Overall Pick. We need to improve the defence and goaltending this year so should we trade the pick or draft someone?"

Morey: "Well we could package it with Yakupov to get Cam Talbot out of New York."

Stu: "Why give up Yakupov when we can draft another fellow Russian in Samsanov? Or better yet let's take Blackwood at 16."

Chia: "Yeah... you're both fired."

Oct 30, 2011
Long overdue for the pro scouting, which has been awful, and yet not held accountable for their consistently terrible performance. There's more of an argument to be made for the amateur scouting side, but honestly, there's room for improvement there.

Hopefully this means that we're going to start to see some good players crop up from the second round onwards. Scouting is an inexact science, but good scouting groups should have more hits, on average, than what we've seen.

yeah as long as they don't give draft another wizard goalie and invite a player to camp that they can't sign, I'll be happy

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
I imagine it went something like this.

Chia: "Alright boys, we've been getting a lot of calls about the 16th Overall Pick. We need to improve the defence and goaltending this year so should we trade the pick or draft someone?"

Morey: "Well we could package it with Yakupov to get Cam Talbot out of New York."

Stu: "I saw this kid in the BCJHL and...."

Chia: "Yeah... you're both fired."

Fixed

:sarcasm:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I probably would've retained Stu in a less impactful role. Sure he made some braindead picks in the 2nd rounds and lower, but he has nailed picks as well (Eberle). Morey Gare should've been gone a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad