Proposal: 6 Puljujarvi Trade Ideas

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Where Puljujarvi was drafted shouldn't even be in the discussion.

His perceived potential, his contract situation and what he's doing on the ice are the matters of importance.

He does have top-6 potential, I hope nobody argues against that. He has to go through waivers next season, which is a big deal, because -> he's struggling big time on the ice, on a struggling team.

As a Habs fan, I'd totally be interested in him, can see him develop besides Kotkaniemi and watch them play for the next 10 seasons together.

I don't know what Habs would have to give though, I may 'propose' something perceived as ridiculous, or may receive ridiculous offers back.

But I'm sure MB would be interested, and I suppose the Oilers may need more developed NHL wingers in return.

Would you do Lehkonen straight up?

Reactions: Mestaruus

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Would you do Lehkonen straight up?

As much as it would pain me to see Lehkonen go (he's got very bad puck luck, but does everything right on the ice, all the time), I would.

Habs need size and skill on the wings, even undeveloped potential.

Wanted to 'propose' him actually, just didn't know if I'd be laughed at or something.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
As much as it would pain me to see Lehkonen go (he's got very bad puck luck, but does everything right on the ice, all the time), I would.

Wanted to 'propose' him actually, just didn't know if I'd be laughed at or something.
It's honestly not a bad deal for either team imo.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

I made a thread with that proposal.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
It's honestly not a bad deal for either team imo.

He's very versatile, can play in any kind of situation, not the biggest guy but will battle everywhere, nice hands but like I said, bad puck luck, producing at a bit under 0.5PPG this season, his best so far, but I can see him getting 40-50pts regularly at some point while being a very good 2-way player. Great character. Will turn 24 in june, RFA at the end of this season.

But Habs sorely need potential AND size on the wings, and even if Puljujarvi is struggling, that's the kind of 'project' I hope we grab.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I don't want to deal Puljujarvi. I think we would end up regretting it.

We need to keep and develop him properly.
The key word is develop. He is not right now, so instead of wasting him, get something.

Of course in an ideal world he would develop in Edm. But there is currently nothing going on that is trending in that direction. He just doesn’t seem to fit in Edm at this point.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
why cant they just move him back to bakersfield to finish the season so he can just play hockey and not be part of the circus .

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
EO probably may not get similarly young, presumed high-upside prospect. Not at this time.
Could target an older, less heralded player in his prime, for need. A hockey trade.
5 years back NYR traded recent 1st Del Zotto for older, proven, steady Kevin Klein
At time, I thought they sold low. But Klein filled out a solid core for multiple deep playoff runs.
Its ok if the return here is a different type of valuable asset.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Because I kept saying Winnipeg Jets going after Puljujarvi and not sound like a homer I'll throw in that Nashville would be a good idea to salvage his career. But doesn't mean I won't make a Winnipeg proposal again.

Nashville:
Jesse Puljujarvi

Edmonton:
Ryan Hartman
Jacob Paquette
Conditional Pick (50+ points = 2nd 2021; Extension over five years = 1st 2022. No progress = 5th 2021)
--
Winnipeg:
Jesse Puljujarvi

Edmonton:
Nic Petan
Eric Comrie
Conditional 1st 2022 (If Puljujarvi signs an extension over five years)
Conditional 2nd 2022/2023 (If Puljurarvi has two 50+ point seasons coming off an extension)

Fairest I can come up with, though some parties might not agree. Both teams win here as it shows that nobody leaves a loser and personally if I were Edmonton I'd do both these trades. If I were Edmonton GM I take the Winnipeg one. But Nashville should be more interested in trading for him, they have the space for him on their team and his potential could really work for them.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
100%, would never deal Kyrou for Pool Party. Kyrou has only improved his value as a prospect, while Pulju has only hurt his value. He definitely doesn't warrant Jost, and I think I'd rather have Tage also with his shot and size. Donato is interesting, but no way would Boston add. I honestly think Edmonton has to hold onto him for now until he shows something and then deal him. If they deal him now, they will be very disappointed in his return.

Nope, they are both a disappointment in the NHL....Pulju looks worse because he was a high pick

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Nope, they are both a disappointment in the NHL....Pulju looks worse because he was a high pick

Disappointment in the NHL? Puljujarvi has 139 games, some time on the wing of the best player in the world. Kyrou has played 16 games for at the time the worst team in the league, only 10 of those games did he get more than 8 minutes of ice time. I'm gonna guess you thought Stamkos under Melrose was a "disappointment" as well. Minuscule sample size, dude.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
4. Jesse Puljujarvi for Henrik Bjorgstrom

Bjorgstrom, like Puljujarvi, is a 2016 draft pick that has solid AHL numbers this year but has struggled to gain traction in the NHL. The Panthers need right-shot forwards, and may believe that Pulju could explode playing with fellow Finn Alexander Barkov.

We got Tippett coming soon.
I like Borgstrom as do most of our FLA fans. Cant see a deal here 1 for 1.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
what about josh ho sang and a plus dont know what the plus would be but i feel like ho sang would be the ideal winger for mcdaivd
I think thats a good scenario for Ho-Sang. He has talent and a history with Mcdavid and I think Mcdavid could have a good influence on him.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
1. Jesse Puljujarvi for Ryan Donato +

Donato is a goal scorer that destroyed college and his shot could look great next to McD. Bruins add a bit because of Pulju's draft pedigree.

2. Jesse Puljujarvi for Tage Thompson

The Sabres do this deal if they believe Puljujarvi can pan out in Buffalo. They were drafted in the same year (Pulju a bit younger though) but Thompson has slightly better numbers this year. Thompson can also be sent down waiver free next year, which is a selling point for the Oilers.

3. Jesse Puljujarvi for Tyson Jost

Pretty straightforward, the Avs and Oilers swap struggling 2016 top-10 draft picks. Jost is a hometown boy as well, and Rantanen could be a good mentor for Pulju.

4. Jesse Puljujarvi for Henrik Bjorgstrom

Bjorgstrom, like Puljujarvi, is a 2016 draft pick that has solid AHL numbers this year but has struggled to gain traction in the NHL. The Panthers need right-shot forwards, and may believe that Pulju could explode playing with fellow Finn Alexander Barkov.

5. Jesse Puljujarvi for Joel Eriksson Ek

Exchange of struggling young players. Eriksson Ek has been doing well as of late, but is a year older and has lower draft pedigree.

6. Jesse Puljujarvi for Jordan Kyrou

Both players are 2016 draft picks, have scored at exactly 1 ppg in the AHL, but are struggling in the NHL (15 and 16 point pace). The Oilers and Blues swap the two players. Puljujarvi was drafted higher but must be re-signed sooner.
Why do you talk draft pedigree like it means something

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Disappointment in the NHL? Puljujarvi has 139 games, some time on the wing of the best player in the world. Kyrou has played 16 games for at the time the worst team in the league, only 10 of those games did he get more than 8 minutes of ice time. I'm gonna guess you thought Stamkos under Melrose was a "disappointment" as well. Minuscule sample size, dude.

Fine, there is no proof that Kyrou is a good NHLer...just AHL stats which plenty of guys have. There was reason why he got so few minutes on a bad team. It's because he didnt do shit.

I do not want to argue for Oilers fans but Kyrou and Pulju are at similar age. At this point one is not better than the other.

BTW, at the beginning of the year, Kyrou was advertised by some as the next hot prospect, The fact he didnt make the Blues or didnt do well is somewhat a disappointment.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Fine, there is no proof that Kyrou is a good NHLer...just AHL stats which plenty of guys have.

I do not want to argue for Oilers fans but Kyrou and Pulju are at similar age. At this point one is not better than the other.

BTW, at the beginning of the year, Kyrou was advertised by some as the next hot prospect, The fact he didnt make the Blues or didnt do well is somewhat a disappointment.

I disagree. His hype I think was overstated because this is HF and everyone loves prospect hype. Most of our fans expected Kyrou to not play much this season. He got a good look early just because Sunny was out and Fabbri was still recovering, and I think Thomas was out for a bit as well. We were really thin at forward to start the year otherwise Blais and Kyrou definitely don't get as much run in the big leagues as they have to this point. I think Kyrou's development to this point is right on track.

It's true that neither player has done squat at the NHL level, but I think the fact that Edmonton fans would do this deal and that Blues fans wouldn't even consider it speaks to the difference in development. Who knows, maybe if Puljujarvi was in the AHL, his value would be higher right now. It probably would be, but today it is not.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
The trade proposals all suffer from the same misconception, namely what you paid for something years ago is a measure of its value today. Puljujarvi has played 139 games in the NHL and has proven to be a bust as evidenced by the fact that he is apparently being sent back down to the AHL . His value today is at best a late 2nd.

BTW, Borgstrom is progressing nicely at C and his development is one of the reasons that Tallon traded Bjugstad and McCaan.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Why do you talk draft pedigree like it means something
Guys that were drafted higher were seen to have had higher potential.

A disappointing 1st round pick is worth more than a 7th round pick that has accomplished the same amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad