Proposal: 6 Puljujarvi Trade Ideas

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
1. Jesse Puljujarvi for Ryan Donato +

Donato is a goal scorer that destroyed college and his shot could look great next to McD. Bruins add a bit because of Pulju's draft pedigree.

2. Jesse Puljujarvi for Tage Thompson

The Sabres do this deal if they believe Puljujarvi can pan out in Buffalo. They were drafted in the same year (Pulju a bit younger though) but Thompson has slightly better numbers this year. Thompson can also be sent down waiver free next year, which is a selling point for the Oilers.

3. Jesse Puljujarvi for Tyson Jost

Pretty straightforward, the Avs and Oilers swap struggling 2016 top-10 draft picks. Jost is a hometown boy as well, and Rantanen could be a good mentor for Pulju.

4. Jesse Puljujarvi for Henrik Bjorgstrom

Bjorgstrom, like Puljujarvi, is a 2016 draft pick that has solid AHL numbers this year but has struggled to gain traction in the NHL. The Panthers need right-shot forwards, and may believe that Pulju could explode playing with fellow Finn Alexander Barkov.

5. Jesse Puljujarvi for Joel Eriksson Ek

Exchange of struggling young players. Eriksson Ek has been doing well as of late, but is a year older and has lower draft pedigree.

6. Jesse Puljujarvi for Jordan Kyrou

Both players are 2016 draft picks, have scored at exactly 1 ppg in the AHL, but are struggling in the NHL (15 and 16 point pace). The Oilers and Blues swap the two players. Puljujarvi was drafted higher but must be re-signed sooner.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Not so sure about Thompson or Jos.

I like Donato though.

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Hard pass from this Blues fan.

100%, would never deal Kyrou for Pool Party. Kyrou has only improved his value as a prospect, while Pulju has only hurt his value. He definitely doesn't warrant Jost, and I think I'd rather have Tage also with his shot and size. Donato is interesting, but no way would Boston add. I honestly think Edmonton has to hold onto him for now until he shows something and then deal him. If they deal him now, they will be very disappointed in his return.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
Whether it is right or wrong Armstrong seems pretty high on Kyrou and I don't think Kyrou has shown enough to change that either way. He wasn't available in a deal for ROR so I have a hard time seeing him being available for Puljujarvi.

Reactions: Dbrownss and sfvega

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Donato is the better player right now at least, Boston probably has zero interest in that deal especially when they are adding something to it. A player's pedigree does not make him more valuable than a player who is better than him. That's ridiculous.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think every team but Edmonton passes. The Same reason he is available, inability to clear waivers next year. That is a big reason why he will not bring back value.

Plus he has now asked for a trade, you are not going to get any of those players. You will likely get another player who is struggling or a mid round pick.

His development has been stunted at best and he can not go to the AHL next season to work on his offensive game. Which is what really needs to happen.

Only thing he has is draft position. He has gone down the MSP/Yak path. Too muc too soon.

As a Blues fan I would much rather have JK who has been developed properly and is almost a PPG player in the AHL in his first year as a pro then MSP 2.0.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Kyrou isn’t struggling in the NHL because the blues rightfully sent him down to work on his game. He had a 16 game cup of coffee early in the season when the team was a tire fire. Yes, he only put up 3 pts in that span, but the blues gave him a look early and decided it was best to let him grow his game in the AHL (33 pts in 33 games).

The blues had the depth to be able to do that.

JP has 4 pts in 4 games this season in the AHL. I wouldn’t say these are comparable situations.

The fact that you have Thompson and Kyrou going for the same price is going to be funny to most blues fans.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Exchange of struggling young players. Eriksson Ek has been doing well as of late, but is a year older and has lower draft pedigree.

I d do this. Ek is 100% going to be a 2-way roster player. Pulju is an AHL elevator with an upside.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC

Donato is a goal scorer that destroyed college and his shot could look great next to McD. Bruins add a bit because of Pulju's draft pedigree.

The Sabres do this deal if they believe Puljujarvi can pan out in Buffalo. They were drafted in the same year (Pulju a bit younger though) but Thompson has slightly better numbers this year. Thompson can also be sent down waiver free next year, which is a selling point for the Oilers.

Pretty straightforward, the Avs and Oilers swap struggling 2016 top-10 draft picks. Jost is a hometown boy as well, and Rantanen could be a good mentor for Pulju.

Bjorgstrom, like Puljujarvi, is a 2016 draft pick that has solid AHL numbers this year but has struggled to gain traction in the NHL. The Panthers need right-shot forwards, and may believe that Pulju could explode playing with fellow Finn Alexander Barkov.

Both players are 2016 draft picks, have scored at exactly 1 ppg in the AHL, but are struggling in the NHL (15 and 16 point pace). The Oilers and Blues swap the two players. Puljujarvi was drafted higher but must be re-signed sooner.
As a Sabres fan the Thompson trade would have to include draft picks or another player going back to Edmonton. Raw with limited upside vs raw with good upside.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Jost seems the most obvious.

Drafted in the same range, both are struggling. They seem to perfectly fit the trade needs of each team.

Jost has the slightly better NHL career. Centre, high IQ and plays good defense, but doesn’t have any particular elite skills. Added value is being from AB. JP has size and elite skills. RW is a need for the AVs and former teammate of Rants from international tourneys. Low IQ is a problem.

Values are close. Change might be needed to reach their potential. A safe trade for the GMs and previous discussions on HF seem to support this deal as well.

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
what about josh ho sang and a plus dont know what the plus would be but i feel like ho sang would be the ideal winger for mcdaivd

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park

Kyrou and Thompson get the same return?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As a Sabres fan the Thompson trade would have to include draft picks or another player going back to Edmonton. Raw with limited upside vs raw with good upside.

Not sure why we'd need to add. It's been 2 years since they were drafted, and they've performed comparably at the pro levels in that time. Idk why on earth you'd pay a premium because of what people thought of the players 2 years ago.

I'd offer Alex Nylander for Puljuarvi, straight up. Same draft, only a handful of picks apart, both talented wingers who haven't had much pro success and might benefit from a change of scenery.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t give a damn about where any of these players were drafted at this point, and I’ll pass on Eriksson Ek for Puljujarvi.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Very, very easy no from the Blues perspective. Whatever the view of the upside of both players, Kyrou at least has 2 move years of waiver exemption to work with.

I would have some interest in Puljujärvi, but the return wouldn't make it worthwhile for the Oilers.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think Tyler Toffoli makes a lot of sense after July 1st. Edmonton gets a chance to talk contract extension before the deal takes place.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Where Puljujarvi was drafted shouldn't even be in the discussion.

His perceived potential, his contract situation and what he's doing on the ice are the matters of importance.

He does have top-6 potential, I hope nobody argues against that. He has to go through waivers next season, which is a big deal, because -> he's struggling big time on the ice, on a struggling team.

As a Habs fan, I'd totally be interested in him, can see him develop besides Kotkaniemi and watch them play for the next 10 seasons together.

I don't know what Habs would have to give though, I may 'propose' something perceived as ridiculous, or may receive ridiculous offers back.

But I'm sure MB would be interested, and I suppose the Oilers may need more developed NHL wingers in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->