Speculation: 6 points out of playoffs

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
At the expense of ridiculous ga/60 for a guy that doesn't sniff the PK. The goals allowed while he is on ice is as historic as his offense.

Right now his offensive contributions are outweighing his defensive limitations. His contribution is net positive. Simply put, he adds wins.

Moreover, I think Karlsson could thrive in a culture built around defense. With Larkin and Seider taking the bulk of the top matchups Karlsson can feast on 2nd and 3rd lines + PP. Pair him with Maatta who has done an outstanding job helping Hronek stabilize his defensive game (plays a similar game to Methot did in Ottawa) and you could have two elite D pairs for 50 minutes a night.

Lalonde built a structure based on the Forwards supporting the D which gives Karlsson the ability to be more free willing with support. The more I think about it, the more I want Yzerman to go crazy with this move haha.

Imo, the two most important questions are:

1) Can Detroit offer enough value without trading Kasper, Edvinsson, or Raymond (obviously not Larkin or Seider)? I am skeptical but Hronek + 2023 1st would be of substantial value to start.

2) What will it take to extend Hronek after next season? If it's less than 7 million the trade off might not be worth it. As the number starts to approach 8 million + I start leaning towards Karlsson at 11.5.

Last edited:

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Watching the post-game interview with Perron, I couldn't help but think that's exactly why SY signed him, and why he has to stay here. That guy's not gonna let anyone in that room forget how important every game is down the stretch.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not picking on you, just ROR. He is trash and should be nowhere near our locker room.
Why? How?
I don't know anything about him.
When does his deal expire?
Remember when the Wings traded away a Karlsson in '96 and started winning? EK is not a foundational piece for a winner. A succeeds because he doesn't have to adhere to any kind of defensive structure.

Hard pass.
The league and the game is moving in the opposite direction. In 90s it was the devils and the stars who played clutch and grab defensive hockey. The rules have been changed just to eliminate that kind of hockey. Both teams would spend 50 min shorthanded per game in today's league.
Give Karlsson a stay at home partner (Maatta) and a 2 way/defensive center Copp/Larkin and he can easily wins you matchups.
We see that both Makar, Fox, Hughes...offensive defenders are doing much better than Stevenses, Hatchers....of the league.
I think that the game has changed so that a defenceman like Karlsson would be very useful in today's game.

But this is too risky and the chance Yzerman does it 0,01%.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Seider and Larkin are the foundational pieces. Karlsson would be the elite offensive talent that raises the ceiling of this team.
Hard pass.

He would've been entertaining when the Wings were in the Sharks position and had little to lose (other than a bunch of games for a good draft pick). But even with retention there's no way I'd want Karlsson on the Wings .

Yes he's having a fantastic season offensively but is a 32 yr old injury riddled offensive defenseman who in spite of what people say on the main boards isn't very good defensively.

The Wings need some elite talent on offense. They shouldn't be trying to get that with a high paid defenseman.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Am I picturing a different defenseman who had a video posted on this very board, where he was a total spectator in letting an opposing forward walk straight to the net for a quality scoring chance?

You could pair EK with the best shutdown blue liner in the league, and you're still handicapping yourself into having one guy trying to cover the entire sheet while the other eats his popcorn and watches passively whenever the opposition has the puck.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He has shit his pants and quit on three teams now. At least Zadina tries.

You keep saying this but aside from wanting out of Buffalo (which, who the f*** WOULDN'T?) he hasn't quit on any team.

Colorado traded him because of the salary cap.
Buffalo traded him because he wanted out of the shit show.
St. Louis is doing terribly now but it has more to do with Binnington being overrated AF, losing Dunn, Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo and replacing them with Krug, Faulk and Leddy, and a hard-nosed coach losing the room.

ROR is in his 30s now and has been in the league since he was 18. The dude has some miles under him. He's having a bad year playing on a bad team. That's very different than quitting on a team.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You keep saying this but aside from wanting out of Buffalo (which, who the f*** WOULDN'T?) he hasn't quit on any team.

Colorado traded him because of the salary cap.
Buffalo traded him because he wanted out of the shit show.
St. Louis is doing terribly now but it has more to do with Binnington being overrated AF, losing Dunn, Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo and replacing them with Krug, Faulk and Leddy, and a hard-nosed coach losing the room.

ROR is in his 30s now and has been in the league since he was 18. The dude has some miles under him. He's having a bad year playing on a bad team. That's very different than quitting on a team.
That's just like your opinion, man.

I'll put it in terms you'd understand. Condense your feelings for Zadina and Hronek and sprinkle that over ROR.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I'll put it in terms you'd understand. Condense your feelings for Zadina and Hronek and sprinkle that over ROR.
Ouch!!! You'd better edit that up a bit. :laugh:

hmmmthats-a-bit-too-harsh-let-me-add-a-lol-at-the-end-6efd2.png

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

But there's at least some logic behind what appears to be illogical hatred towards Hronek. (Who I don't hate this year.) And I don't HATE Zadina per se. I'm just disappointed in him and can't help but point out how utterly useless he is.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
But there's at least some logic behind what appears to be illogical hatred towards Hronek. (Who I don't hate this year.) And I don't HATE Zadina per se. I'm just disappointed in him and can't help but point out how utterly useless he is.
And same my opinion of ROR. It is as founded in reality as your opinion of the Fils

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
But...I actually have given Hronek his props this year. Zadina has looked realbad for all of last year and whenever he's touched ice this year.
And ROR was fine during the honeymoon of all his stops.

Zadina was legitimately good last night. So f*** right off with that. Yes, he didn't finish with 2+1 but he got good chances. Made good defensive plays and set up Suter.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
But...I actually have given Hronek his props this year. Zadina has looked realbad for all of last year and whenever he's touched ice this year.
Zadina was not bad this year. Ne was good 1st game after the injury and then very bad. One good game and the rest very bad. I wanted to give him a chance, but it simply doesn't work. He is definitely bad. He tries hard and he works hard, but he just fails all the time.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Can we just appreciate what this team is doing? Whenever Raymond and Vrana get back in the lineup, we have 4 legit scoring lines. And yet somehow the team defense is much improved with Sundqvist, Copp, and Rasmussen being the only traditional defensive forwards. I think we've struck something here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad