Speculation: 6 points out of playoffs

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If we can get on a little hot streak over next 2-3 weeks maybe stevie buys and grabs a D-man to help bolster the middle pair and nice chiarot down to 3rd pair

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't have to "buy" anybody. Yzerman did that already at summer.

Maybe some hockey trade to fix some position, give something from a surplus and bolster a weakness a bit.

Right handed defensive center or something for LhD.

Our roster is very overcrowded, when all are healthy. Depth is fine. Typical trades for playoffs are adding just depth.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
As of today we have 8 more games in the month of February.

8 games in 13 days and only 2 of them are at home. There are 2 back-to-backs in that stretch and only one span with 2 days off. It's going to be the beginning of probably the toughest stretch of the year for Detroit.

I think the optimistic expectation is win 4, lose 1 in OT and lose 3. That's not going to be enough to get past any of the teams ahead of us. It's not just Washington that we need to fail. We need the Islanders, Buffalo, Ottawa and Florida to ALSO fail in that stretch.

With the trade deadline on March 3rd approaching, I would expect that by the end of the month there are 3 players (at minimum) traded off this team.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

8 games in 13 days and only 2 of them are at home. There are 2 back-to-backs in that stretch and only one span with 2 days off. It's going to be the beginning of probably the toughest stretch of the year for Detroit.

I think the optimistic expectation is win 4, lose 1 in OT and lose 3. That's not going to be enough to get past any of the teams ahead of us. It's not just Washington that we need to fail. We need the Islanders, Buffalo, Ottawa and Florida to ALSO fail in that stretch.

With the trade deadline on March 3rd approaching, I would expect that by the end of the month there are 3 players (at minimum) traded off this team.
Pssshhhh. With newsy gone, I'll fill in....

1-6-1

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pssshhhh. With newsy gone, I'll fill in....

1-6-1

giphy.gif

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Also have 4 games in hand on Washington and 5 games in hand on the Islanders and Florida.

Games remaining in February:
Islanders: 7
Capitals: 6 (one against Detroit)
Panthers: 5
Sabres: 7 (one against the Caps, one against the panthers. They also have a game each against SJS, CBJ and ANA. Cake schedule)

Detroit needs to win probably 6 of the next 8 to have a real shot. I don't think that's happening, as much as I'm going to cheer for it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We don't have to "buy" anybody. Yzerman did that already at summer.

Maybe some hockey trade to fix some position, give something from a surplus and bolster a weakness a bit.

Right handed defensive center or something for LhD.

Our roster is very overcrowded, when all are healthy. Depth is fine. Typical trades for playoffs are adding just depth.
True, but it still means passing up on opportunities to be sellers and acquire more assets. Particularly when it comes to a player like Bertuzzi who the Wings could lose for nothing this summer.

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
True, but it still means passing up on opportunities to be sellers and acquire more assets. Particularly when it comes to a player like Bertuzzi who the Wings could lose for nothing this summer.

Trading Bertuzzi could be a hockey trade, I think.

I think it really doesn't matter, are the assets futures, only futures, or some other asset who can play or bolster the roster.

It's still trading asset for an asset = maintaining the value.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Trading Bertuzzi could be a hockey trade, I think.

I think it really doesn't matter, are the assets futures, only futures, or some other asset who can play or bolster the roster.

It's still trading asset for an asset = maintaining the value.

I'd like a combination of picks/prospects that are just about ready.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I think Buffalo and Ottawa are going to fall. Islanders probably won't because they added horvat on a tear for this season and florida seems to always have our number when we play them, so I just transfer that logic to the standings.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
For the Wings to make a playoff run happen, they have to do something they haven't done all year, put together a significant winning streak. But inconsistent play all year has hampered that.

I get the fear of trying for the playoffs, not making it and not selling off assets, but none of our assets are going to fetch us a super return in all likelihood. Won't be mad whichever way that goes, trades or no trades.

Personally I would love to see Seider in some playoff games.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Honestly, looking at the standings, I would be a seller at this deadline. Best case scenario we make the playoffs at first wild card spot and your playing the hurricanes (most likely). Eh, we might get a win, but we will lose.

Or we can get the second wild card spot and just be utterly embarrassed by boston.

I would sell, end the year with respect for yourselves and the team. Enjoy the core that is about to come through next year with Kasper, Edvinnson, Wallinder(?), AlJo (?), maybe even Mazur or another prospect that has been showing well in college.

Not to mention you have the potential of Vrana [if we keep him i guess], Soderblom, etc. I would probably trade Neddy and add to get a first from someone like Ottawa if they plan to make a run for it [regardless, ottawa is going to be out of playoffs imo, so that would be a great pick].

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Buffalo and Ottawa are going to fall. Islanders probably won't because they added horvat on a tear for this season and florida seems to always have our number when we play them, so I just transfer that logic to the standings.

Buffalo has the easiest schedule of the teams fighting for the wild card right now. If anything I see THEM as a buyer this year. They need depth D and a goalie but could make a legit push for the final playoff spot.

Even with Horvat I'm not convinced the Islanders are exponentially better than without him and still have a very tough schedule. Florida is starting to score like Florida can, but their team defense this year is atrocious.

Reactions: lilidk

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think there is a high probability that one or both of Bert and Vrana are gone whether we are in the hunt or not. I just think it'll lean more hockey trade than a pure dump if we are really close.

Everyone else except maybe Maata or Walman (d can some crazier returns at times) gets us midling picks that usually don't amount to much. The only forward we probably get a 2nd or above for is Bert. So I don't really care that much about non Bert deals. He is the only one (minus Larkin, who I think will be resigned) who I'd be upset if we lost for nothing.

Hardest stretch of the season and needing probably 5 or 6 wins minimum, makes me lean towards us not being in it. Even if we are in it though, I wouldn't expect Stevie to do anything unless a nice hockey trade presented itself.

Reactions: sepster

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
We have an incredibly tough schedule and our chances on the paper and realistically are very very slim.
However maybe the team should try their best.
Seider started to play like he did last season so did Raymond. Berggren has been hottish long time.
Perron and Kubalik have been snakebit for 20ish games.
Husso, Lindstrom and Hagg looked good.
So if we can get Bertuzzi, Perron, Fabbri and Kubalik going we could make some noise.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00