Speculation: 6 points out of playoffs

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
The Wings performances against Buffalo this season really bother me. They're, obviously, one of the teams the Wings are most often measured against in regard to the rebuild status and they've gone 0-2-1 against them leaving both teams tied at 53 games played and 58pts (DET: 25-20-8, BUF: 27-22-4).

If you take out the head-to-head matchup and look at their records against the rest of the league:

Buffalo: 24-22-4, 52pts
Detroit: 25-18-7, 57pts

If that 0-2-1 record had been flipped in the Wings favor, they'd be in a wild card spot with games in hand.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We are seeing steps forward and that's what you want. Even if we fall short this year, I think now next year we start to expect to get in the playoffs. Hopefully this lights a fire under all the younger guys to work hard going into next season.

I like Lalonde as the coach for this group, even if people want to point to certain individuals taking a step back. I think we play with much better structure and we look like we are playing a system moreso than the last few years. At least that's what it looks like to me.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Nashville might be an apt comparison too with all their stud dmen over the years. We seem to be trending that way with our crop (Ed, Johansson)

I don't forsee any superstar forwards in our future unless a trade happens

Nashville was a lesser St. Louis. I think Yzerman will do a better job than Poile.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
We are seeing steps forward and that's what you want. Even if we fall short this year, I think now next year we start to expect to get in the playoffs. Hopefully this lights a fire under all the younger guys to work hard going into next season.

I like Lalonde as the coach for this group, even if people want to point to certain individuals taking a step back. I think we play with much better structure and we look like we are playing a system moreso than the last few years. At least that's what it looks like to me.
Lalonde has done wonders on the structure side of things. He just has to not have them sit back as much as soon as we get any type of lead and we're golden.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lalonde has done wonders on the structure side of things. He just has to not have them sit back as much as soon as we get any type of lead and we're golden.
And every coach has strengths and weaknesses, so if Lalonde is honest with himself, he should always be trying to put good people around him who can help with his deficiencies.

I picture Dr Rick from the Progressive commercials sitting next to him, saying, "OK. Now we're going to review these pairings one more time..."

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
they better stay the course and still sell expiring contracts or re sign them. can’t hold them and get nothing in hopes to squeak in to wild card to get swept

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is from another thread, but I thought it was worth referencing here for a larger point:

I was saying at the beginning of the season that this team could be a legit 6-8 seed in the playoffs. Add a whole season of Bertuzzi and Vrana, Copp not getting injured, and Raymond\Seider not starting the season with nasty sophomore slumps, and this team is fighting for the six seed instead of the wild card.

At this point, it would be silly for Yzerman to sell. I would be more inclined to think he may try to trade for a soon-to-be UFA with an extension agreed upon beforehand.

The longer this team plays well leading up to the deadline, the harder it will be to thread the right needle with how Yzerman handles it. Even if this becomes a ten game winning streak, I don't think it makes sense to buy any pure rentals. But it definitely makes the "combo seller and buyer" more likely if they can find the right player to extend.

Best February in a long time for hockey though!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Speaking of the deadline:

"We have spoken about the trade fatigue surrounding the Jakob Chychrun deal. Are we now starting to get a hint as to what might be holding things up?"

"Dreger: Yeah. The fact that even though it's believed the Arizona Coyotes want to be creative, they're not willing to take on contracts beyond entry-level contracts. So, the perfect scenario for the Coyotes is to get draft picks, to get prospects and, at worst, a player on his entry-level contract. Now, teams have expressed the interest required to make that deal, but they also need some money to move along to make all of the mechanics work. So far that hasn't been the case as far as Arizona is concerned."

Sounds like the opportunity to buy a draft pick from the Coyotes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The longer this team plays well leading up to the deadline, the harder it will be to thread the right needle with how Yzerman handles it. Even if this becomes a ten game winning streak, I don't think it makes sense to buy any pure rentals. But it definitely makes the "combo seller and buyer" more likely if they can find the right player to extend.

There no sense to get any rentals. Because we have great team depth. Team is already full of them.

Maybe some hockey trade for better RHD could be possible, like Matt Dumba. Tthere would be a good possibility for extension.

Reactions: lilidk

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

"We have spoken about the trade fatigue surrounding the Jakob Chychrun deal. Are we now starting to get a hint as to what might be holding things up?"

"Dreger: Yeah. The fact that even though it's believed the Arizona Coyotes want to be creative, they're not willing to take on contracts beyond entry-level contracts. So, the perfect scenario for the Coyotes is to get draft picks, to get prospects and, at worst, a player on his entry-level contract. Now, teams have expressed the interest required to make that deal, but they also need some money to move along to make all of the mechanics work. So far that hasn't been the case as far as Arizona is concerned."

I'm guessing this is more about contracts that have term left. I doubt the yotes won't take an expiring contract.

But I don't want the wings to take cap dumps with term either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm guessing this is more about contracts that have term left. I doubt the yotes won't take an expiring contract.

But I don't want the wings to take cap dumps with term either.
Yeah, I'm not volunteering to take several years of cap either. I just meant that I'd be happy to throw some cash into a 3 team deal if it's a short contract and a decent pick in return.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
There no sense to get any rentals. Because we have great team depth. Team is already full of them.

Maybe some hockey trade for better RHD could be possible, like Matt Dumba. Tthere would be a good possibility for extension.

Matt Dumba isn't good. Keep him away from the team.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

As I said on the trade forum, I can understand sitting a guy for a game or maybe two if a trade is imminent, but at a certain point it starts to feel like Arizona taking tanking to the next level.

The article also mentions how the Blue Jackets are sitting Gavrikov for his second game. These are two d-men that play over 22 minutes a night for their respective clubs.

I'm sure teams consider how after the deadline they'll be even worse and should fall in the standings, so why not get an early start by sitting those trade candidates? It's a win-win! Except for the players involved, the fans, and their teammates who are still trying to win.

Reactions: jkutswings

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Remember when we could deal Mike Green because he jacked his neck up shortly before the deadline? I am sure avoiding a situation like that is the thinking here.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As I said on the trade forum, I can understand sitting a guy for a game or maybe two if a trade is imminent, but at a certain point it starts to feel like Arizona taking tanking to the next level.

The article also mentions how the Blue Jackets are sitting Gavrikov for his second game. These are two d-men that play over 22 minutes a night for their respective clubs.

I'm sure teams consider how after the deadline they'll be even worse and should fall in the standings, so why not get an early start by sitting those trade candidates? It's a win-win! Except for the players involved, the fans, and their teammates who are still trying to win.

It's a very NBA style of decision. Pretty soon you will be talking load management.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
By points %, we're in, we're the 8 seed. We've got this. Let's go. No selling. Add something. Rebuild over. Bedard can sit and spin.

Reactions: 14ari13

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
This is from another thread, but I thought it was worth referencing here for a larger point:

Best February in a long time for hockey though!
That's why we got to go get Meier. If we want to be a top 3 seed in our division, we need Meier for next year to add with soderblom, ed, kasper.

Need it to happen or we may be looking at a fringe year again. I don't hate it, just rather turn the page now.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I mean, we can still sell Suter, Erne and Vrana.

Suter is an interesting one. He is isn't irreplaceable but the center depth on this team is razor thin. If yzerman isn't throwing in the towel he'd have to get an equal or better center to justify trading Suter.

For pending UFAs there are:
O'Reilly
Monahan
Toews
Domi
Bjugstad

The RFA list doesn't really add anyone that could replace Suter so Yzerman would need to get a rental UFA C (try to extend him) or really pull a rabbit out his hat and find someone we didn't see coming to justify trading Suter. I can't really see it happening as long as this team is hanging around in a meaningful way.

Adam Henrique could be an interesting wild card option. Not sure what he would cost but with one more year on his contract he could be a good stop gap that helps with a playoff push. He's winning 52% of his faceoffs, has 19 goals and plays a solid two way game.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
That's why we got to go get Meier. If we want to be a top 3 seed in our division, we need Meier for next year to add with soderblom, ed, kasper.

Need it to happen or we may be looking at a fringe year again. I don't hate it, just rather turn the page now.
All our players would or should be better next season. Seider, Raymond, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren, Hronaissance... should be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad