GDT: 6 // Coyotes @ Devils // 25 Oct 4pm

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Blamed the young players. And the linesman. And now the goaltending. Good job, Tipp.

Although he did blame the referee and goaltending (last goal), he was right about both of them. That said, I think the officiating was pretty good overall for once. And I thought Peters played well until that last goal. Neither Peters, the ref or linesman lost this game for us. Tip also said the team has yet to play 60 min. I agree and that's why we lost.

On a positive note, the first period was exactly what I have complained was lacking: high energy, effort, compete and desire. Second period was same old Coyotes and third period was too late. If we played every period and every game like the first period we would have a winning record right now and certainly a content poster. Whom do you blame? players, coaches, refs, fans..take your pick.

Hmm, so
Strome - healthy scratch
Dvo - demoted to fourth line
Crouse - <10 min a night

Excellent developmental plan for these guys.

Tip put in the lineup tonight the players he always wanted not the ones ownership or the GM wanted. Strome and Crouse are being sent back..you pick the date. I think he keeps Dophin but to platoon with White. Tip doesn't view Dophin as high end player so no problem if he sits many nights.

Love Maloney, but he wrote his ticket out of town with Smith and Ribiero. The joke is that the coach that recommended both and hasn't had a winning record since before Mitt Romney was the Republican nominee not only survived, but was promoted.

Agree. DM wrote his own ticket. He proved he wasn't great GM. If I'm wrong, why is he still hanging outside Gila River Arena. Go now and you'll see him.

Don't see why Coach Brown isn't taking heat like Playfair and Tippet. Since his first season's success, we've had little-to-no success on the powerplay. We've added more skill since then and we've only scored 4 PPG on 24 attempts.

1 for 7 against the Flyers.
1 for 5 against the Senators.
1 for 4 against the Canadiens.
0 for 4 against the Islanders.
0 for 1 against the Rangers. (Just adding this because.)
1 for 3 against the Devils.

Our powerplay could have been the difference maker in a few of these games but we're stuck in 21st with 14.3%, which isn't saying much because 22 through 30 ranges from 13.6%-6.7%.

Our special teams suck. So bad.

Yotes were worst team in league 2 years ago but 7th best PP. The year before we had the 4th best PP. I don't think Brown is the problem. Perhaps Tip ought to take a "tip" from Brown..lol. Our PP tonight looked the best so far this season..why? Because they played with urgency and effort.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Although he did blame the referee and goaltending (last goal), he was right about both of them. That said, I think the officiating was pretty good overall for once. And I thought Peters played well until that last goal. Neither Peters, the ref or linesman lost this game for us. Tip also said the team has yet to play 60 min. I agree and that's why we lost.

On a positive note, the first period was exactly what I have complained was lacking: high energy, effort, compete and desire. Second period was same old Coyotes and third period was too late. If we played every period and every game like the first period we would have a winning record right now and certainly a content poster. Whom do you blame? players, coaches, refs, fans..take your pick.

Tip put in the lineup tonight the players he always wanted not the ones ownership or the GM wanted. Strome and Crouse are being sent back..you pick the date. I think he keeps Dophin but to platoon with White. Tip doesn't view Dophin as high end player so no problem if he sits many nights.

Agree. DM wrote his own ticket. He proved he wasn't great GM. If I'm wrong, why is he still hanging outside Gila River Arena. Go now and you'll see him.

Yotes were worst team in league 2 years ago but 7th best PP. The year before we had the 4th best PP. I don't think Brown is the problem. Perhaps Tip ought to take a "tip" from Brown..lol. Our PP tonight looked the best so far this season..why? Because they played with urgency and effort.

Then that just makes things worse as he put a player that was playing great, causing turnovers, sound positionally, and making passes none of our other centers can make on the fourth line... there was no reason to warrant that decision.

I just ask for consistency. If you are going to say play warrants ice time, then follow through with it. Don't take someone playing well and stuff them on fourth line and stick them to the bench because of their age, which is essentially what he did.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
still not quite sure why DVO goes from good ice time leading forwards and playing great at both ends, to 16% ozone starts 4th line duty and no ice time...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
still not quite sure why DVO goes from good ice time leading forwards and playing great at both ends, to 16% ozone starts 4th line duty and no ice time...

There is some Tippalytics that justify this, and the same criteria are going to be made to evaluate roster moves. After a relatively tame and encouraging offseason, I'm back to being terrified.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
The only thing worse then a start like this is hearing the non stop same old complaints. There has actually been a lot of positives so far in this horrible start. Really stoked from what I saw from number 88 in his first game, looks like a solid signing this offseason. Don't worry about Duke either, the points are going to come. The effort is there so it's only a matter of time. Honestly if we had good goaltending our record would be a lot different. I know you guys always need a scape goat but cmon how can you still say he refuses to develop talent?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Honestly if we had good goaltending our record would be a lot different. I know you guys always need a scape goat...

Quoted for irony.

I was encouraged by all the talk this off season. I like the Goligoski signing and the McGinn signing. We made some solid moves. We haven't sold the farm yet. Chychrun looks much, much better than I expected. Crouse should be an NHL player soon. Dvo has come in better than I had expected. I've recognized several positives.

The same old complaints really revolve around the same old unresolved problems. Very sloppy, disinterested play. That generally falls on the coach in most sports and most markets. Icetime distribution, certainly less obvious and more subjective, but also generally a coach's decision.

Put the cherry on the top of being told that now that they have a competent GM they were going to spend money and be competitive only to see us slash payroll and comeout looking unimproved at 1-5. Oh, and the whole arena/relocation elephant.

I just can't imagine why people are angsty.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Lineup Items That Need To Happen:

Crouse needs to go to juniors after this trip or the next home game. He needs to begin producing again. No points so far, but looks like an alright 4th liner. We need him to be a menace that is dangerous offensively. Let him become this in juniors and show us what he's got in another year or two. He now knows what the NHL is like and knows what he should work on. I'm sure this was an amazing experience, but time to go slaughter teenagers.

The lines can't constantly change. If Tipp wants to take risks he needs to do it for a couple games. Put the three D's together for a week or two before shuffling it around again. This also is important because we have far too many LW and one of them needs to play on the right. Therefore that player needs time to get used to that position. We don't have enough RW because...

Doan needs to be on the 4th line and PP only. Which bumps White to the extra position.

Strome needs to play. I'm fine with him coming in and out of the lineup but he needs to actually be doing that, not just sitting on the bench. This also is part of point two. Let him play for an extended period of time rather than a game or two before being benched for god knows how long. Maybe too soon to worry too much about this, but if he sits the next two games I will rage post on the boards in a blackened haze.

We have moved from have a 2nd line and three 3rd/4th lines to having three 2nd lines and a 4th line (that's being generous). Use this to our advantage and even out the playing time. Almost all of the forwards can be equally as effective on the PK as they can be on the PP.

Chychrun should be moved to second pairing until Goose finds his ****ing wings again. He has looked decent enough in the offensive end, but lost in his own end. I don't doubt that he will come around, but he needs a wake up call. Last thing we need is him to come back from the trip to his brand new mansion in North Scottsdale and become even more complacent. 18 year old taking his minutes should do the trip. Double up and have KConn take his spot for a little. Worked for Murph.

McGinn looked great tonight. Shame we may lose him in expansion. Vrbata looked Korpse like but we all know he is streaky and almost got us a point during the NYR game so it's hard to fault him completely.

Duclair and Domi are still our best forwards. They are going to start single handily win us games soon when probability goes their way. Duclair in particular is much more rounded.

Chychrun is a revelation.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Because Calgary is paying him to be there. He is a west coast pro scout for them now.

DM made the best out of a very bad situation. But he did his way, and that didn't run in line with what Gary Drummond wanted.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Because Calgary is paying him to be there. He is a west coast pro scout for them now.

DM made the best out of a very bad situation. But he did his way, and that didn't run in line with what Gary Drummond wanted.

Are you saying Maloney would rather be a West Coast scout than a GM? You might want to rethink that one.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are you saying Maloney would rather be a West Coast scout than a GM? You might want to rethink that one.

I think he's saying that Maloney is being paid to be at the arena. It's not like he's holding a sign that says "will scout for food". Maloney will be a front runner for any GM opening. He was in the mix for Vegas.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Martinook - Strome - Rieder
McGinn - Hanzal - Vrbata
Dauphin - Richardson - Doan

^ why can't they just send Crouse back and give that 10 games without touching it? What's the worst that can happen? Winning one less game over that span?

Goligoski needs to be demoted away from Stone, who doesn't deserve such a fate. Chychrun has more than earned 2nd pairing time.

Stop blaming the goalie while you're at it. They know they ****ed up if it's a stoppable shot. Blaming Louie doesn't undo the loss.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
The last 3 games were lost by one goal (empty netters don't count). I know a loss is a loss, but if we were 4-2 how would everyone be feeling?

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The last 3 games were lost by one goal (empty netters don't count). I know a loss is a loss, but if we were 4-2 how would everyone be feeling?

But we're not 4-2 and the same issues that we've experienced over the last 4-5 years are still here. It's not the players, this is all on the coaching.

FIRE TIPPETT

We've got a great bunch of talent, we need to find a coach who can work with that talent and put the players in a position to succeed.

I'm completely frustrated

I hate our offense scheme - always have under Tippett
I hate his line changing after every game - always have under Tippett
I hate Tippett

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
We've got a great bunch of talent...

We have 4 rookies that are trying to skip the AHL level. I'm not blaming the rookies, but at the same time this is not a team that anyone expected would make the playoffs.

For me, the rebuild started with the 2015 draft, which was only 16 months ago. We're starting to see the fruits of the last 2 drafts and Chayka's GM wizardry pay off.

I'm looking for this year to be better than last (it still can).

Next year better than this (playoffs?)

and the next year (20118-19) we win the Cup. Simple.

55266732.jpg

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Anyone know why Domi did not receive credit for an assist on the second Hanzal goal? He clearly was the primary passer.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Anyone know why Domi did not receive credit for an assist on the second Hanzal goal? He clearly was the primary passer.

Hanzal had a goal? Thought it was OEL x 2 and Martinook. Box score on ESPN shows Domi with an assist on OEL's first.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This system has needed time to tighten up year after year. Last season Domi and Duke bailed us out of games. This year both aren't getting bounces. I'm sure wins will come but how big of a hole have we already dug up? Maybe we need to look at a system that doesn't take a month to adjust to.

The fact that DT switched up the lines after they looked the tightest they had all season is very frustrating. He not only switched up lines, but he also changed Martinook's position and played the AHL goalie over a Louie, who finally looked to be gaining confidence.

Very frustrating season to watch so far.

Schenn, Gogo and Peters. Three mistakes and three goals. You can't win many games with the Peters and Schenns junior type mistakes. I questioned putting Martinook at center but his line played very well, in fact, probably Duclairs best game. Dvo's line played well, probably Whites best games. McGinn's play was very encouraging. I thought the team played very well in the first, terrible in the second and battled back in the third. I do not like Vrbata on that line with Hanzal and Domi. You have to keep mixing the lines until you can find chemistry and some of the vets have to pick it up along with Domi and Duclair. We have had questionable goal tending since Smith went down, and that is where it all starts, we need some one who can at least stop a beach ball.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only thing worse then a start like this is hearing the non stop same old complaints. There has actually been a lot of positives so far in this horrible start. Really stoked from what I saw from number 88 in his first game, looks like a solid signing this offseason. Don't worry about Duke either, the points are going to come. The effort is there so it's only a matter of time. Honestly if we had good goaltending our record would be a lot different. I know you guys always need a scape goat but cmon how can you still say he refuses to develop talent?

It's the same three or four posters that post the same thing over and over. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But we're not 4-2 and the same issues that we've experienced over the last 4-5 years are still here. It's not the players, this is all on the coaching.

FIRE TIPPETT

We've got a great bunch of talent, we need to find a coach who can work with that talent and put the players in a position to succeed.

I hate Tippett

I took all of five games for someone to say fire DT. Man, you are fast, I thought it would be rt with his usual "fire everyone" post. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have 4 rookies that are trying to skip the AHL level. I'm not blaming the rookies, but at the same time this is not a team that anyone expected would make the playoffs.

For me, the rebuild started with the 2015 draft, which was only 16 months ago. We're starting to see the fruits of the last 2 drafts and Chayka's GM wizardry pay off.

I'm looking for this year to be better than last (it still can).

Next year better than this (playoffs?)

and the next year (20118-19) we win the Cup. Simple.

55266732.jpg

:laugh: I agree, except maybe your last sentence. Rebuilding is hard and painful and we are seeing it first hand.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think he's saying that Maloney is being paid to be at the arena. It's not like he's holding a sign that says "will scout for food". Maloney will be a front runner for any GM opening. He was in the mix for Vegas.

It was a joke. Btw..how'd that Vegas thing work out for him? Sean Burke also wants to be GM.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

FIRE TIPPETT

I hate Tippett

I haven't quite gotten to this point. But it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend. Except for the firing Tip, I agree with everything else 100%. But I'm very close to agreeing on Tip. Guys...like it or not Tipp is not getting his players to do what they should be doing. This is why I some posts ago compared him with Hitch. We are off to the worst start in franchise history and we've seen this movie before. This team does not play hard on a consistent basis even within a game. Try watching the other games in NHL that don't involve the coyotes. So I am very close to agreeing to fire Tippet. And frankly, I don't think Barroway will tolerate this losing much longer. Maybe they can hire Maloney as the coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad