GDT: 6 // Coyotes @ Devils // 25 Oct 4pm

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
:laugh: I agree, except maybe your last sentence. Rebuilding is hard and painful and we are seeing it first hand.

I know it's not simple...lame attempt at humor. What I'm looking for this season is that we are moving in the right direction, and despite 1-5, I think we are.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
WithTippett's new responsibilities and title, he really isn't going anywhere. I would think that sometimes a team needs a new direction, even though it may be no fault of the coach. On the other hand, one can't make bricks out of mud alone. You need straw, and the Coyotes haven't provided much straw over the years. We have always, always had a talent deficit.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I haven't quite gotten to this point. But it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend. Except for the firing Tip, I agree with everything else 100%. But I'm very close to agreeing on Tip. Guys...like it or not Tipp is not getting his players to do what they should be doing. This is why I some posts ago compared him with Hitch. We are off to the worst start in franchise history and we've seen this movie before. This team does not play hard on a consistent basis even within a game. Try watching the other games in NHL that don't involve the coyotes. So I am very close to agreeing to fire Tippet. And frankly, I don't think Barroway will tolerate this losing much longer. Maybe they can hire Maloney as the coach?

I just know how this story is going to end. The team will labor in last place for most of the year with consistently inconsistent play for most of the season maintaining a bottom 3 placement and then miraculously the final 3-4 weeks of the season the team will begin playing extremely well, Smith will catch fire and we will finish the season in 5-7th place assuring ourselves of a worse draft position and provide 'hope' that next season will be better because they finally played well late.

We all know this is how it's going to go. The offense (if you can call it that) has literally taken the 'creativity' out of Domi & Duclair, you can see it, Duclair is lost in this system. Great for Tippett, he's taken our 2 most dangerous offensive weapons and neutered them to the point of incapability.

The system just plain sucks, we'd be better off going full run & gun, we'd win more games and the talent on the team would begin coming out.

I'm just fricken tired of the same old "execution" statements when clearly it's the system the boys are attempting to execute.

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
I just know how this story is going to end. The team will labor in last place for most of the year with consistently inconsistent play for most of the season maintaining a bottom 3 placement and then miraculously the final 3-4 weeks of the season the team will begin playing extremely well, Smith will catch fire and we will finish the season in 5-7th place assuring ourselves of a worse draft position and provide 'hope' that next season will be better because they finally played well late.

We all know this is how it's going to go. The offense (if you can call it that) has literally taken the 'creativity' out of Domi & Duclair, you can see it, Duclair is lost in this system. Great for Tippett, he's taken our 2 most dangerous offensive weapons and neutered them to the point of incapability.

The system just plain sucks, we'd be better off going full run & gun, we'd win more games and the talent on the team would begin coming out.

I'm just fricken tired of the same old "execution" statements when clearly it's the system the boys are attempting to execute.

Couldn't agree any more. Looking at a team like Toronto, while they haven't been successful, they're at least fun to watch.

Our system works when you have players like Morris and Aucoin on the backend, but we don't have those anymore. Most teams don't actually, it's an old style.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pretty good road game. Some very bad luck. 3rd string goalie.

I'm glad the D pairings got scrambled. I was hating that Goose/Stone pair. I'd like to see:

OEL-Stone
Chychrun-Murphy
Goligoski-Schenn

To start the next one.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Couldn't agree any more. Looking at a team like Toronto, while they haven't been successful, they're at least fun to watch.

Our system works when you have players like Morris and Aucoin on the backend, but we don't have those anymore. Most teams don't actually, it's an old style.

Please enlighten us with a description this "old style" system that you claim knowledge of.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If this team was 4-2 because of amazing goaltending, but still looked like a tire fire in their own end, impotent in the offensive zone, and lost on special teams like it does right now while we healthy scratch and handcuff the icetime of our prospects, I'd still be on the fire the coach bandwangon. It's been 5 years with the same problems. We've got mostly all new players, most more skilled, and they can't "execute" either. The ones that have been here the whole time aren't executing anymore. The common denominator of our suckitude is the coaching staff and system.
The only thing moving in the right direction is our roster. On ice, they are just as lost as anytime in the past 5 years.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The only thing worse then a start like this is hearing the non stop same old complaints. There has actually been a lot of positives so far in this horrible start. Really stoked from what I saw from number 88 in his first game, looks like a solid signing this offseason. Don't worry about Duke either, the points are going to come. The effort is there so it's only a matter of time. Honestly if we had good goaltending our record would be a lot different. I know you guys always need a scape goat but cmon how can you still say he refuses to develop talent?

Absolutely. Isn't it ironic that the same individuals that always want to piss and moan are pissing and moaning.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Are you saying Maloney would rather be a West Coast scout than a GM? You might want to rethink that one.

No need to rethink it at all.

First. Maloney was still under contract to the Coyotes for at least another year. So he really didn't have to take another job if he chose not to. He had to forfeit that money to take the Calgary position.

Second.... outside of Vegas.... what other team was looking for a GM???

Third.... after going through the last seven years as he did, it really didn't hurt to step away from it for a few months.

By taking on the scouting position he gets to ease back into the game of looking for players without all the pressure, and is reunited with the man he tutored to become a GM.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No need to rethink it at all.

First. Maloney was still under contract to the Coyotes for at least another year. So he really didn't have to take another job if he chose not to. He had to forfeit that money to take the Calgary position.

Maybe the rules have changed, but I think IA still pays him the difference between his salary and the Calgary salary through his terminated contract.
But it absolutely keeps him networked and "in sight" as opposed to "whatever happened to...".

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Maybe the rules have changed, but I think IA still pays him the difference between his salary and the Calgary salary through his terminated contract.
But it absolutely keeps him networked and "in sight" as opposed to "whatever happened to...".

Might be true about the pay, but they did eliminate the compensation part after Torts.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Nobody knows how this is going to turn out.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
The puck needs to be behind miserable Yote

Nolan.jpg

That is pretty much it in a nutshell.. The only thing I would add to this is have the coyote chained up..

This is a perfect description of our team ( and farm system as I am sure it is the same down there)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Gotta eat some crow, here. Loved the McGinn/Martinook pair and White had a solid game from the 4th line.
Pyrrhic victory. Unless Ryan White plays so well this season that he's dealt for multiple high picks at the deadline, there's nothing he can do that justifies hindering Strome. Even if he single-handedly drags us into the playoffs, if it comes at the expense of Strome's development, we're probably worse off for it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pyrrhic victory. Unless Ryan White plays so well this season that he's dealt for multiple high picks at the deadline, there's nothing he can do that justifies hindering Strome. Even if he single-handedly drags us into the playoffs, if it comes at the expense of Strome's development, we're probably worse off for it.

Who's hindering Strome? Look, I'm one of the biggest Strome supporters, but he has not played himself on to a regular role on this team. Just because he was 3OA does not give him any advantage over other players. Strome is not playing because of Strome, and he better take advantage the next time he plays or he will find himself back where he is now. If he stays with the big club, he could be in and out of the line up until he proves otherwise.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Strome is hindering Strome.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Strome is hindering Strome.

This is true to some degree. Noone is arguing otherwise. But is healthy scratching Strome or sending him back to juniors more likely to improve Strome (or the franchise) compared to the only other option of playing Strome (over White, for example)?

Those are our only three options. Which is least likely to hinder him or the franchise?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00