Post-Game Talk: #6 - 10/16/18 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
We don't have tons of talent IMO but the idea from the coaching staff is if you work hard you'll be rewarded for it at least some of the time. One thing is you don't want teams coming into your building thinking it's an easy two points. Getting the work ethic up is what you need to do with kids like Chytil, Howden, Buchnevich, Pionk and DeAngelo anyway. And yeah sometimes you might have to scratch them but they should play harder and better when they get their next chance. Tortorella was also a guy who pushed and pushed but he was always nasty about it. Quinn is pushing them hard but he's not being stupid about it.

Perfectly said. So far Quinn is doing a great job of teaching these kids to be accountable. When other young players like Andersson, Kravtsov, Lindgren, Miller, Lundkvist, etc. get to NY they'll experience this as well. It's part of the process. Quinn was brought here to do a job, which is to grow a young team. I may not agree with scratching Buchnevich but there is no doubt that he needs to bring it every night if he wants to play.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I have a feel Chytil will be scratched and Buch will be back in for Craps

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Competed against a pretty good up and coming team. Who will be the next to be scratched???
Not upset about the win but I'm one of those that wants to see Chytil and Howden pile up points albeit I know thats not realistic for 19 and 20 year olds respectively. I guess its not bad to see guys like Zucc and Shatty get some points to increase their trade value.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I have a feel Chytil will be scratched and Buch will be back in for Craps
If that's gonna be the case just send the kid to Hartford but like you said I wouldn't be surprised if he was in this spin the wheel of scratches.

Reactions: will1066

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Chytil looked good early in the game, lot of hard work in front of the net ,and he was important on the Hayes goal as he intercepted the puck and moved it to Shattenkirk

Seemed like the special teams play took him out of the game a bit as the #1 power play seemed to get a lot of time and #2 not so much.

Reactions: RGY

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
While I understand that this is still very much the Lundqvist show, does anyone else feel that we seem to be doing a better job in not giving un-screened shots from the hash marks where the shooter has all day to wind up and pick his spot, and also doing a better job at not allowing consecutive shots on goal? Or am I just searching for a silver-lining that isn't there?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
There will be a lot of disappointed people at season's end when our chance getting the #1 overall pick will be no better than last year. This is not a worst record in the league team, not by a long shot.

Edit: I'm not super happy about it either.
I disagree. I think we will be a bottom 3 team. And that will make me happy. Only problem is it will drag down the team’s morale.

The Rangers played well, but not great. It’s not going to be like this every game. The Avalanche hit something like 3-4 posts/crossbars. This game could have gone either way. Henrik was the difference maker, but he’s not going to be for every game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree. I think we will be a bottom 3 team. And that will make me happy. Only problem is it will drag down the team’s morale.

The Rangers played well, but not great. It’s not going to be like this every game. The Avalanche hit something like 3-4 posts/crossbars. This game could have gone either way. Henrik was the difference maker, but he’s not going to be for every game.

Henrik wasn't anymore the difference maker than Varlamov and the Avs got lucky a number of times themselves. Both of their goals were kind of fluky. We also have been very competitive in every game we've played. I don't think we'll be great but we're not getting blown out game in and game out. I also think Hank has been great, but he's now the sole reason we've been keeping goals down. The team defense has been pretty good.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yun1sOD.gif

L9hbY9c.png
Oh that’s funny! I wish I still worked at DQ!

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Henrik wasn't anymore the difference maker than Varlamov and the Avs got lucky a number of times themselves. Both of their goals were kind of fluky. We also have been very competitive in every game we've played. I don't think we'll be great but we're not getting blown out game in and game out. I also think Hank has been great, but he's now the sole reason we've been keeping goals down. The team defense has been pretty good.
Well, it’s either the offense or defense that shows up. Not both. I think this game and the Oilers game were the Rangers’ best games in terms of defense. But those two teams have one thing in common. They are one line teams. The McDavid and MacKinnon lines are the only real threats, and the Rangers were able to shut them down for the most part.

And sure we can be competitive, but there’s just not enough talent for that competitiveness to turn into production all the time. I mean, there may be some talent, but almost every player we have is inconsistent (besides Fast, Howden, and Henrik). But Zibanejad, Kreider, Shattenkirk, Buchnevich, Chytil, Hayes, Spooner, Vesey, Skjei, Zuccarello, etc. are all inconsistent. I see one or two good games from any one of them, and then 3, 4, 5 bad games. This is nothing new, as it goes back to last season. That’s a lot of names, and it worries me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Chytil was much better than some of the (non) credit he is getting. Worked the boards hard. Hustled back. He needs a goal or two to get going but his play without the puck wasn’t bad at all.

This was a pretty good team we played tonight. And the Rangers were the better team.
It’s a decent team. If you can neutralize their top line, you’ll be good.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
While I understand that this is still very much the Lundqvist show, does anyone else feel that we seem to be doing a better job in not giving un-screened shots from the hash marks where the shooter has all day to wind up and pick his spot, and also doing a better job at not allowing consecutive shots on goal? Or am I just searching for a silver-lining that isn't there?
I might agree if I could get my tired brain to understand what this means. Double negatives confuse me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad