Post-Game Talk: #6 - 10/16/18 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
While I understand that this is still very much the Lundqvist show, does anyone else feel that we seem to be doing a better job in not giving un-screened shots from the hash marks where the shooter has all day to wind up and pick his spot, and also doing a better job at not allowing consecutive shots on goal? Or am I just searching for a silver-lining that isn't there?

If it's just you looking for a silver lining, then I am also guilty of it. There have been some transition pains (the first handful of games most noticeably), but it really does seem like there are fewer uncontested chances against. The plays where guys are getting open in front aren't nearly as egregious as they have been the last couple years; just looks like regular hockey plays now, not gargantuan holes in our coverage.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Or, with a few more goals here and there.....we are 5-1 and with good officiating in the Carolina game......we are 6-0.

Crazy, but true.

I think I'd lean more towards Georgiev costing us the Carolina game though; although the refs did do their part as well.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
But I don't want that. We don't need to be successful this season doing it with mirrors with no REAL chance of REAL success.

Not sure what you guys are all seeing or wanting, but all I want this season is "enjoyment" in watching. And yes, I think I can enjoy even with losing. Thus far, and especially with tonight's game......I have been very pleasantly surprised. This team seems like they can get better as the year goes along, and already it seems that coach, has been motivating his players rather well. Look at Namestnikov and Shatty after sitting the bench. I thought Pionk played rather well tonight after sitting as well.

Hank has been outstanding, yet I felt no need to vote for him. There were enough other players deserving my votes.
Shatty, Zuccha (his best noticeable game) and Brady once again.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Total defeatist mentality. If you want something, you have to work for it.
... except for if you're born rich or is an NHL team. It's literally a lottery, giving one league the poaching rights on all the best annual hockey cattle.

But if you don't have much money, sure, you have to work for it.

Anyway, Hank refuses to tank. The team tries, but he says no.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Have a hard time believing this team will ever be bottom 5 bad as long as Hank is in net.

For better or worse.
Agreed. He needs to sit his old ass down, for the betterment of the long range future of this team. His chance has passed us by.
Still will always root for his success, but you know what I mean.
He is HURTING US, first with his huge contract and now this. Surely I jest. :sarcasm:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I disagree. I think we will be a bottom 3 team. And that will make me happy. Only problem is it will drag down the team’s morale.

The Rangers played well, but not great. It’s not going to be like this every game. The Avalanche hit something like 3-4 posts/crossbars. This game could have gone either way. Henrik was the difference maker, but he’s not going to be for every game.

Ad we could be 4-2 with a little luck and some better officiating. They have been in every game this year, they were even leading in the Carolina game late before the 3rd period collapse. They are not as bad as you make them seem.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Crazy, but true.

I think I'd lean more towards Georgiev costing us the Carolina game though; although the refs did do their part as well.
Yes, and believe it or not......that thought crossed my mind. He blew at least 2 goals.......but oh well, I prefer blaming the refs that night. Egregious officiating that night, and ordinarily I don't complain about the refs......like to think it's fair in the long haul, just unfair certain games......rarely and I mean RARELY do we ever get those kind of games on our side.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hanky is not a huge fan of jack Hughes I’m guessing ....

He’s showing everyone he’s not done.
He certainly is showing the league that teams should be making offers for him, especially if they are a true contender but lacking solid goaltending OR a bad injury to their #1 goaltender right before deadline. Naaah, never happen. We all KNOW Hank won't go.......but really wish he would for EVERYONES sake here for crying out loud.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If we just bury our chances early in the game it’s 3-0 before the Avalanche wake up. Rangers played hard but were outplayed in the last 2 periods

Anyone voting for Hayes as one of the 3 stars should be banned from posting. The guy was putrid. Makes me sick
Lol, I didn't and agree. I am really surprised though. Though he would be a lot better with Filip on his wing. He needs to lead by example.

Serious question. Would playing GREAT or LOUSY hasten him out of NY? Or, would it simply change the return? Hmmmmm.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Well, it’s either the offense or defense that shows up. Not both. I think this game and the Oilers game were the Rangers’ best games in terms of defense. But those two teams have one thing in common. They are one line teams. The McDavid and MacKinnon lines are the only real threats, and the Rangers were able to shut them down for the most part.

And sure we can be competitive, but there’s just not enough talent for that competitiveness to turn into production all the time. I mean, there may be some talent, but almost every player we have is inconsistent (besides Fast, Howden, and Henrik). But Zibanejad, Kreider, Shattenkirk, Buchnevich, Chytil, Hayes, Spooner, Vesey, Skjei, Zuccarello, etc. are all inconsistent. I see one or two good games from any one of them, and then 3, 4, 5 bad games. This is nothing new, as it goes back to last season. That’s a lot of names, and it worries me.
There’s only about 7-8 teams in the league that have two really good lines.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Hank is the KING... and the biggest surprise for me at the beginning of the season.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Whenever Quinn is making the lineup for a game, I want an intern or assistant coach or whoever playing on a constant loop a gif of Smith and Staal getting turned inside out by Rantanen. Somebody needs to get hired to ask him every 10 minutes "Are you SURE you want Marc Staal in the lineup?"

Also, can Vesey join the healthy scratch parade? I think I'd rather take Buchnevich and his underperforming talent than Vesey and his.... I dunno... work ethic?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Whenever Quinn is making the lineup for a game, I want an intern or assistant coach or whoever playing on a constant loop a gif of Smith and Staal getting turned inside out by Rantanen. Somebody needs to get hired to ask him every 10 minutes "Are you SURE you want Marc Staal in the lineup?"

Also, can Vesey join the healthy scratch parade? I think I'd rather take Buchnevich and his underperforming talent than Vesey and his.... I dunno... work ethic?

Not if AV has a say in it

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Hank is the KING... and the biggest surprise for me at the beginning of the season.

I think the interesting thing with Hank will be how he looks from around the mid-point of the season onward. He's going to have a pretty damn heavy workload in each game from the looks of it, and it wouldn't surprise me if he starts to wear out shouldering that load.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
It is so sad to read this forum now a days. When people are chearing for their team to loose,there are something very wrong with the draft and lottery system IMO. In professional sport it should never be any benefits for loosing and have shitty team built to fail. And for a Europian its chocking to read that the fans has bought the tanking agenda. Sad,just very sad. I can,in a way understand the system that the weakest teams get to pick first. But be REWARDED for sucking with a bettet chance to win the lottery! That goes against everything competitive sports are in my world. Teams should win lottery picks,not loos for a pick. Work out a model that encourage teams to always do their best,and the front office to always strive for a better team.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It is so sad to read this forum now a days. When people are chearing for their team to loose,there are something very wrong with the draft and lottery system IMO. In professional sport it should never be any benefits for loosing and have ****ty team built to fail. And for a Europian its chocking to read that the fans has bought the tanking agenda. Sad,just very sad. I can,in a way understand the system that the weakest teams get to pick first. But be REWARDED for sucking with a bettet chance to win the lottery! That goes against everything competitive sports are in my world. Teams should win lottery picks,not loos for a pick. Work out a model that encourage teams to always do their best,and the front office to always strive for a better team.

Lol no. We had a damn good run. A fantastic run. A better run than any other team in the league outside Pens, Kings, Blackhawks and Capitals.

But we ultimately fell short, and in doing so there was a glaring problem as to why. We had great depth, but lacked high end game breaking talent. It's time for us to get our guy. Guys, even. Plural. We are never going to win a Cup until we do.

This team/fan base has earned the right to want it's first top 5 pick in OVER 20 YEARS.

The way the Rangers draft, they simply can't find a franchise talent unless it's an obvious staring in their face pick at the top of the draft. Kind of like the Jets and Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams. Each was the best player in their draft, falling to them and were no brainer cant mess up picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It is so sad to read this forum now a days. When people are chearing for their team to loose,there are something very wrong with the draft and lottery system IMO. In professional sport it should never be any benefits for loosing and have ****ty team built to fail. And for a Europian its chocking to read that the fans has bought the tanking agenda. Sad,just very sad. I can,in a way understand the system that the weakest teams get to pick first. But be REWARDED for sucking with a bettet chance to win the lottery! That goes against everything competitive sports are in my world. Teams should win lottery picks,not loos for a pick. Work out a model that encourage teams to always do their best,and the front office to always strive for a better team.

This is textbook begging the question.

The fact is the draft order of "rewarding sucking" has been in place since 1967 in the NHL. In fact, it used to be easier to pure tank. Just because the Rangers finally decided in 2018 to get with the program, doesn't mean there is some new pervasive negativity spreading around.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This team is coming off the longest sustained period of "success" in team history. It just didn't get a cup. They won more games in the Lundqvist era than they have in any other period. Now it's time to try something new. I give management credit for keeping the goal set at championships, because it would have been very easy to stay a top half team, make the playoffs and see how many playoff games worth of revenue you can pull in. Dolan mau be a goof, but he's not cheap, and he spends money putting a product on the ice when he could just as soon keep the money in his pocket.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad