Post-Game Talk: #6 - 10/16/18 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Buch had a hustle of Vesey he’d be a PPG player.

Trade Lundqvist, Hayes and Zuke for Varly, Ott and Ava’s 1st

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We need to stop winning! :D Well move Kreider & Zucc at TDL pls. with coffee and cream in my coffee, thank u. :)
I`m sure we all agree when we get the 1st pick next summer.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The difference between 1st overall pick odds from the 31st worst to the 30th is 5 percentage points the same as 30th to 27th or 27th to 22nd. That’s what you want to bank on?

Reactions: Ori

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
If we just bury our chances early in the game it’s 3-0 before the Avalanche wake up. Rangers played hard but were outplayed in the last 2 periods

Anyone voting for Hayes as one of the 3 stars should be banned from posting. The guy was putrid. Makes me sick

Could not agree more! I’m glad they pulled this win out but Hayes has got to be traded as soon as possible. Rangers already have a replacement waiting for him with Andersen in the minors. He’s got to go before he literally had no trade value, which is practically true already!

Reactions: mhurley

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If Buch had a hustle of Vesey he’d be a PPG player.

Trade Lundqvist, Hayes and Zuke for Varly, Ott and Ava’s 1st

How could he scratch my boy Buch.. :)

It will probably be a topic in the podcast this week with Jim from NY! ))

Personally I am fine with it, because you need grit and you don`t automatically get a ticket in this league if u struggle to perform on daily basis.

Reactions: trilobyte

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
My personal favorite from this match was the Jekyll and Hyde reactions from the previos GDT's concerning Vesey.

Was real nice to see the team outshooting a good Avs team, been a while since we had any type of domination going on. Real lucky win with the OT posts, but they didn't score and we won the shootout.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
They created some chances today. Zibanejad came to life these past couple games. Baby steps.
Well it`s like baby steps towards a new franchise, besides it`s a health reason with him and risk to keep him here. So I don`t mind if Jeff Gorton consider to move him since we are rebuilding and in my opinion he is just outside the ideal age when u build a new team in the draft.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I`m sure we all agree when we get the 1st pick next summer.
And then we'll need to wait 4 years for him to mature.. and then we find out that he isn't a game changer or what we need, in which it is decided to chase the next 1st OA, which we may have an outside chance of getting in 10 years :D

Screw the draft (in terms of 1st OA).. In 6 of the last 9 years, the Edmonton Oilers have picked within the top 5 OA (4 of those times they've gotten the 1st OA, the 3 years outside of the top 5 pick they got a 7th, a 22nd and a 10th OA) . While it appears that they are ever so slowly getting on the right track (or maybe i should just say that they are on board with McDavid at the helm), its not exactly a team that inspires much confidence (i think everyone but Hall and Yakupov is still with the Oilers ?).

2010 - Taylor Hall (1st OA)
2011 - Ryan Nugent Hopkins (1st OA)
2012 - Nail Yakupov (1st OA)
2013 - Darnell Nurse (7th OA)
2014 - Leon Draisatl (3rd OA)
2015 - Connor McDavid (1st OA)
2016 - Jesse Puljularvi (4th OA)
2017 - Kailer Yamamoto (22nd OA)
2018 - Evan Bouchard (10th OA)

That list does not inspire confidence in the 1st OA being the "unicorn that we are missing". McDavid certainly looks like the real deal, but outside of first winning the lottery by getting the 1st OA.. and then winning the lottery a second time to get a really good player, it just.... bleh :)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I am seeing huge improvement. The neutral zone defense was great and the Rangers seemed to have the puck a lot. They aren’t converting opportunities, but that should come. They’re getting a ton of nice chances. They’ve got to keep up the intensity.

Reactions: mhurley and Ori

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
And then we'll need to wait 4 years for him to mature.. and then we find out that he isn't a game changer or what we need, in which it is decided to chase the next 1st OA, which we may have an outside chance of getting in 10 years :D

Screw the draft (in terms of 1st OA).. In 6 of the last 9 years, the Edmonton Oilers have picked within the top 5 OA (4 of those times they've gotten the 1st OA, the 3 years outside of the top 5 pick they got a 7th, a 22nd and a 10th OA) . While it appears that they are ever so slowly getting on the right track (or maybe i should just say that they are on board with McDavid at the helm), its not exactly a team that inspires much confidence (i think everyone but Hall and Yakupov is still with the Oilers ?).

2010 - Taylor Hall (1st OA)
2011 - Ryan Nugent Hopkins (1st OA)
2012 - Nail Yakupov (1st OA)
2013 - Darnell Nurse (7th OA)
2014 - Leon Draisatl (3rd OA)
2015 - Connor McDavid (1st OA)
2016 - Jesse Puljularvi (4th OA)
2017 - Kailer Yamamoto (22nd OA)
2018 - Evan Bouchard (10th OA)

That list does not inspire confidence in the 1st OA being the "unicorn that we are missing". McDavid certainly looks like the real deal, but outside of first winning the lottery by getting the 1st OA.. and then winning the lottery a second time to get a really good player, it just.... bleh :)
Three years in a row and four of six years with the first overall pick. Amazing.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Please play ADA. Half the defensemen that we skated were liabilities. We got to OT and only had 2 guys we trusted. We need mobility on the back end

I agree DeAngelo should get games - we are developing young players for the future and he can`t be our 7th defenseman in his age in a rebuild direction while developing players - he need to play games for sure, and if not in NHL this year - he needs to play with Lias Andersson at Wolfpack. It won`t help his player development to have DeAngelo as our 7th or 8th D on the bench - he will lose value and we can`t afford that so player development management need to get involved and talk to the current coaching staff.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is textbook begging the question.

The fact is the draft order of "rewarding sucking" has been in place since 1967 in the NHL. In fact, it used to be easier to pure tank. Just because the Rangers finally decided in 2018 to get with the program, doesn't mean there is some new pervasive negativity spreading around.

Get with the program? You make it sound like it's the thing to do. Very few teams actually tanked, unless you count being bad without doing it on purpose. Rangers sold off players to rebuild through the draft and future prospects, but they're not purposely trying to play the season and be a lottery team.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The difference between 1st overall pick odds from the 31st worst to the 30th is 5 percentage points the same as 30th to 27th or 27th to 22nd. That’s what you want to bank on?

31st has a 100% chance of picking in the top 4. I'll gladly bank on those odds

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Finishing 31st is a fantasy they are not the worst team in the league - and even if you knew they were the worst team in the league finishing 31st still would not be a likely outcome.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
We don't have tons of talent IMO but the idea from the coaching staff is if you work hard you'll be rewarded for it at least some of the time. One thing is you don't want teams coming into your building thinking it's an easy two points. Getting the work ethic up is what you need to do with kids like Chytil, Howden, Buchnevich, Pionk and DeAngelo anyway. And yeah sometimes you might have to scratch them but they should play harder and better when they get their next chance. Tortorella was also a guy who pushed and pushed but he was always nasty about it. Quinn is pushing them hard but he's not being stupid about it.
Agreed BUT Deangelo should not be scratched. He’s played 2/6 games. Guy should be on the second pair EVERY game

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Buchnevich
Hayes
Zibanejad
Kreider
Zucc
Smith
Pionk
I know it won’t happen but if we move these guys Or even if we move just 4 of them that’s a bunch of first round picks and top prospects coming back

Buchnevich to Edmonton
Hayes to Colorado
Zibanejad to Carolina
Kreider to Boston
Zucc to Winnipeg or Nashville
Smith to Toronto
Pionk to anywhere

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
This just isn't a top 5 pick team... I haven't seen them playing this hard since Torts and that level of effort goes a long way.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Get with the program? You make it sound like it's the thing to do. Very few teams actually tanked, unless you count being bad without doing it on purpose. Rangers sold off players to rebuild through the draft and future prospects, but they're not purposely trying to play the season and be a lottery team.
They can do whatever with the team, but the drafting has to get better. This team has had seasons where they did not get a single player out of their entire draft. It's an unacceptable level of failure that cannot be allowed to repeat.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm hoping pionk, right now, should be in the ahl. Staal shouldn't play.

Still was a decent game. Effort level was good.....but not perfect (it rarely ever is during the regular season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->