Prospect Info: 5th overall: Vancouver selects Elias Pettersson (Timra, Allsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You are correct that I was ranting about this player for months before the draft but that is only because I had more red flags associated with Pettersson than any other player ranked in the top 10. When you read other people's posts on him regarding that their worried he won't transition to the NHL then you should listen.

He is exactly what I think he is and that's a less skilled version of RNH that's probably going to get stuck between the top 6 and bottom 6 of a NHL lineup. Just not good enough for the top 2 lines and he's certainly not suited for a checking roll.

It's just humble opinion and I truly do hope he works out for all our sakes but I'm not holding my breath for him. Seen hundreds of players with his skill set flame out.

I never would have drafted this player.

it stops being a "humble" opinion when you aggressively spew it at anyone whose post has the letters "pett" in it

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
its one thing to talk about a player constructively another thing is talking about something that seems like a scouting report out of watching Lucas Sbisa play a hockey game. What you said was a total lie when you mentioned (give aways after giveaways) this guy is on some crack.

dudes full of it. of everything he can do or watch he decides to stream Timra game? I don't even think they broadcast those games, its like someone from Sweden picking up a giants game that is brodcasted by Shaw cable.

no its not easy to find these games, tell us were how you were able to watch these games. Finding AHL and KHL games are is enough let alone tier 2 Swedish league.

Reboot that video and see for yourself how many times he turns the puck over and it won't take long for the first one. Actually can anyone help Lawrence out and let him know how many times?

The rest of your post is just :blah:

Like the Pettersson pick, do some research and you'll find that it's not that hard to stream games. If you also have the financial means that I do then you can get a kick a** satellite system and pick up pretty much anything that is broadcast on the planet. You Internet warriors know what a satellite system is right or am I just showing my age :sarcasm:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Reboot that video and see for yourself how many times he turns the puck over and it won't take long for the first one. Actually can anyone help Lawrence out and let him know how many times?

The rest of your post is just :blah:

Like the Pettersson pick, do some research and you'll find that it's not that hard to stream games. If you also have the financial means that I do then you can get a kick a** satellite system and pick up pretty much anything that is broadcast on the planet. You Internet warriors know what a satellite system is right or am I just showing my age :sarcasm:

I wish you can just use a real user name to reflect who you are not, which is not a Canuck fan.

Yes, lets watch tier 2 Swedish hockey at 6 am in the morning, (9 hour difference)

your exposed for who you really are. Petterson wasnt nowhere close as Canucks fans top choice until june and still only 30 percent liked him which was perfectly normal, everyone else is "supporting" this pick going forward. No need to reboot the video, I've seen it already.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
:
I wish you can just use a real user name to reflect who you are not, which is not a Canuck fan.

Yes, lets watch tier 2 Swedish hockey at 6 am in the morning, (9 hour difference)

your exposed for who you really are. Petterson wasnt nowhere close as Canucks fans top choice until june and still only 30 percent liked him which was perfectly normal, everyone else is "supporting" this pick going forward. No need to reboot the video, I've seen it already.

:facepalm:

Just because everyone else is "supporting" him then I should just fall in line and ignore my personal opinion on him? Seriously? And by your logic since I'm not a fan of this pick I'm not a Canucks fan? Seriously?

I think we need to politely agree to disagree.

Last edited:

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver

Seems like you're just bs-ing. Why can't you give out any specifics on how you watch the games? I'd like to know so I can watch SHL this year. What are good types of satellite systems I can invest in?

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
In fairness he has been ripping on Pettersson for a long time. Let's hope he's wrong tho

And even then everyone is allowed an opinion. I'm not disagreeing with the guy, obviously Pettersson has lots to work on to make the NHL. The way he comes across in his posts though is pretty pretentious.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
And even then everyone is allowed an opinion. I'm not disagreeing with the guy, obviously Pettersson has lots to work on to make the NHL. The way he comes across in his posts though is pretty pretentious.

He is entitled to his opinion but it is pretty obvious that he makes **** up and just runs away when he is challenged. Like when I asked him to post his draft lists from the past 15 years since he claimed to have them and claimed they made him look like a genius. And now claiming that he watches a lot of Timra games but being completely unable to provide anyone with a link to how they can do so.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Seems like you're just bs-ing. Why can't you give out any specifics on how you watch the games? I'd like to know so I can watch SHL this year. What are good types of satellite systems I can invest in?

Google is your best friend to stream SHL games but your going to pay for em. Very rare that their illegal streamed. If you got the $ you can get most games out of Western Europe...it's really not that hard.

Satellite is a whole different ball game. Their is no 1 single system you can invest in. The best ones are custom made as it all comes down to sensors and scanning devices on these bad boys and I hope you have a deep wallet because there not cheap.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Google is your best friend to stream SHL games but your going to pay for em. Very rare that their illegal streamed. If you got the $ your can get most games out of Western Europe...it's really not that hard.

Satellite is a whole different ball game. Their is no 1 single system you can invest in. The best ones are custom made as it all comes down to sensors and scanning devices on these bad boys and I hope you have a deep wallet because there not cheap.

This is not hard. Which ones do YOU use?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
He is entitled to his opinion but it is pretty obvious that he makes **** up and just runs away when he is challenged. Like when I asked him to post his draft lists from the past 15 years since he claimed to have them and claimed they made him look like a genius. And now claiming that he watches a lot of Timra games but being completely unable to provide anyone with a link to how they can do so.

Like I have my last 15 years of draft lists saved! Come on man!

And I never said that they made me look like a "genius" but I did say that I'm pretty good at this guessing game known as the draft.

I've only been here for a year and this is my first draft with yall so it's all here in black and white.

Let's see what happens.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

He won't cause he bs ing. and why any satellite company will decide to broadcast a tier 2 swedish game over SEL game is beyond me, let alone if we want to watch their games, we have to get 5:00 am in the morning.

He's obviously never watched him play.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Solid game by Pettersson. Excellent defensively, always in good position in his own zone. Good down low supporting his defencemen and ready to receive the pass to start the breakout. Always makes the smart play with the puck whether it be a good pass or hanging onto the puck for an extra second or two to open up a lane.

Just like last game, he got stronger as the game went on.

Was great on the power play, last game he was the playmaker and today he was the trigger-man. Had 2 nice shots stopped by the goalie.

After working the boards nicely on the PP he made a weak pass where it was easily cleared by Canada. Was really his only blemish.

For his assist, he made a really neat pass off the boards that resulted in a nice goal.

He does look like he is playing with a nagging injury though.

Also, Jesper Boqvist looked really good in every game so far. Like the Lind pick but wish we had picked Boqvist. Lind was a ghost again today.

Was looking forward to Gadjovich playing but he wasn't dressed. He has really impressed so far in this tourny. Hopefully, he plays tomorrow.

DiPietro was solid, had no chance on the second goal where Brannstrom made a fantastic pass. Stopped 14/16 shots. He should be the back-up for Hart this December, especially if they want to groom him into the starter for the 2019 WJC.

Last edited:

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Solid game by Pettersson. Excellent defensively, always in good position in his own zone. Good down low supporting his defencemen and ready to receive the pass to start the breakout. Always makes the smart play with the puck whether it be a good pass or hanging onto the puck for an extra second or two to open up a lane.

Was great on the power play, last game he was the playmaker and today he was the trigger-man. Had 2 nice shots stopped by the goalie.

After working the boards nicely on the PP he made a weak pass where it was easily cleared by Canada. Was really his only blemish.

For his assist, he made a really neat pass off the boards that resulted in a nice goal.

Also, Jesper Boqvist looked really good in every game so far. Like the Lind pick but wish we had picked Boqvist. Lind was a ghost again today.

Was looking forward to Gadjovich playing but he wasn't dressed. He has really impressed so far in this tourny. Hopefully, he plays tomorrow.

DiPietro was solid, had no chance on the second goal where Brannstrom made a fantastic pass. Stopped 14/16 shots. He should be the back-up for Hart this December, especially if they want to groom him into the starter for the 2019 WJC.

He is such a smart player. Only thing holding him back is his size. Really a joy to watch.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

This is a bit ridiculous. Boqvist just finished a season playing vs men in the top Division in Sweden. Of course he is going to be more polished and stronger than Lind.

A scouts job isnt to project a player in the present..its to evaluate who will be the better pro in 3-5 yrs.

Lind has a high ceiling. I really liked that pick.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
I think you guys got the best player in the draft. The guy oozes skill and is so smooth with the puck. Once he puts on some weight he's gonna be unreal. Has been one of Sweden's best players this tourney even if the stats don't show it. Makes really nice plays and never turns it over in bad areas.

Was also my favorite player at the WJC last year, I had my eye on both him and Andersson because they were projected to be picked around where the Leafs were picking. Pettersson was so fun to watch play, his dangles, his passing, wish he could've potted a couple goals. Anyways you guys have a real gem on your hands. Excited to watch him play alongside Liljegren at the WJC this year.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

Holy homer alert. I don't know what the hell you were watching. Petterson has had a very disappointing tournament so far. Shows no assertiveness and is weak as hell with the puck. Pretty much loses every single board battle and is taken off the puck so easily. His ability to play in traffic is nonexistent at this point in his career.

He had a giveaway today that directly led to canada scoring. He was also moved down the lineup because of how ineffective he was. Meanwhile, the guy drafted two spots after him is lighting it up.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Holy homer alert. I don't know what the hell you were watching. Petterson has had a very disappointing tournament so far. Shows no assertiveness and is weak as hell with the puck. Pretty much loses every single board battle and is taken off the puck so easily. His ability to play in traffic is nonexistent at this point in his career.

He had a giveaway today that directly led to canada scoring. He was also moved down the lineup because of how ineffective he was. Meanwhile, the guy drafted two spots after him is lighting it up.

I thought he was alright. If board battles are the only thing he's ineffective in, that's not something we should be worried about. The guy is 165 lbs. He was making great subtle plays all game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is a bit ridiculous. Boqvist just finished a season playing vs men in the top Division in Sweden. Of course he is going to be more polished and stronger than Lind.

A scouts job isnt to project a player in the present..its to evaluate who will be the better pro in 3-5 yrs.

Lind has a high ceiling. I really liked that pick.

I'm with the previous poster....Lind might end up being a good pro, but the Canucks made a big mistake not drafting Boqvist, who from all reports knocked it out of the park at the recent Devils development camp.

Kid played in the SHL as a teenager and clearly has elite-level speed and skill....more importantly can play either wing or centre, so he's far more versatile....Devils got a good one.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015

I only got to watch the first period, but are you talking about Steele's goal? #11 on Sweden (don't know who that is) pretty clearly swiped the puck off Petterson's stick right to a Canadian, wouldn't blame Petterson on that one. But yes, Petterson has been disappointing this tourney.

Andersson and Boqvist have looked much better. Lind has been invisible as well

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
I'm with the previous poster....Lind might end up being a good pro, but the Canucks made a big mistake not drafting Boqvist, who from all reports knocked it out of the park at the recent Devils development camp.

Kid played in the SHL as a teenager and clearly has elite-level speed and skill....more importantly can play either wing or centre, so he's far more versatile....Devils got a good one.

And as I recall, most people on this board wanted Boqvist with our 2nd pick. Many were worried he would be gone already at that time.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I don't like to see him playing in a summer evaluation tournament with a hip injury. He's on that team without further evaluation anyway and summer should be the time to heal and get stronger. The year round grind is not a good thing imvho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad