Prospect Info: 5th overall: Vancouver selects Elias Pettersson (Timra, Allsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Holy homer alert. I don't know what the hell you were watching. Petterson has had a very disappointing tournament so far. Shows no assertiveness and is weak as hell with the puck. Pretty much loses every single board battle and is taken off the puck so easily. His ability to play in traffic is nonexistent at this point in his career.

He had a giveaway today that directly led to canada scoring. He was also moved down the lineup because of how ineffective he was. Meanwhile, the guy drafted two spots after him is lighting it up.

Nope. Everything I said was bang on.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/michael-dipietro-and-kole-lind-stymie-elias-pettersson-at-world-junior-summer-showcase-1.21633309?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Finally, there's Pettersson, who saw some time at centre in this game for the first time in the tournament, in between Dallas Stars prospect Fredrick Karlstrom and New Jersey Devils prospect Jesper Bratt. As a result, he seemed to be a bit more involved overall, particularly defensively, where he played lower in the zone and used his excellent defensive awareness to get in shooting lanes, making a couple key shot blocks.

There were a couple times, in fact, where he ended up as the last man back, and went down to the ice to take away shooting and passing lanes to give his goaltender the best opportunity to make a save.

While Pettersson was on the ice for one goal against, it came off a turnover by Bratt, who took the puck right off Pettersson's stick and gave it away.

Offensively, Pettersson came up short, though not for lack of effort. He had three shots on goal, but he couldn't beat DiPietro or Hart. Two of those shots were hard one-timers on the power play, where he set up as the quarterback on the right boards. He distributed the puck well from that position, but Sweden's execution as a whole seemed off.

When Pettersson did have a chance on a 2-on-1, it was cut short by a high-stick to the face from Logan Stanley. And when his breakout pass led to a goal by Karlstrom, he wasn't credited with an assist.

Overall, it was a solid, if unspectacular performance by Pettersson. You would certainly hope for a little more from him, but he certainly isn't playing poorly. He even did well holding off defenders with his body positioning and you can tell that with a little more strength and size, he'll be tough to handle with his stickhandling and skating.

The most encouraging sign might have come from the commentary rather than his play on the ice. Gord Miller said at one point, “Talking to [Sweden head coach] Tomas Montén yesterday, asking who the most skilled player on his team might be, without hesitation he said Pettersson."

Knucklehead

Oct 18, 2002
Fort Nelson,B.C.
Nope. Everything I said was bang on.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/michael-dipietro-and-kole-lind-stymie-elias-pettersson-at-world-junior-summer-showcase-1.21633309?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Finally, there's Pettersson, who saw some time at centre in this game for the first time in the tournament, in between Dallas Stars prospect Fredrick Karlstrom and New Jersey Devils prospect Jesper Bratt. As a result, he seemed to be a bit more involved overall, particularly defensively, where he played lower in the zone and used his excellent defensive awareness to get in shooting lanes, making a couple key shot blocks.

There were a couple times, in fact, where he ended up as the last man back, and went down to the ice to take away shooting and passing lanes to give his goaltender the best opportunity to make a save.

While Pettersson was on the ice for one goal against, it came off a turnover by Bratt, who took the puck right off Pettersson's stick and gave it away.

Offensively, Pettersson came up short, though not for lack of effort. He had three shots on goal, but he couldn't beat DiPietro or Hart. Two of those shots were hard one-timers on the power play, where he set up as the quarterback on the right boards. He distributed the puck well from that position, but Sweden's execution as a whole seemed off.

When Pettersson did have a chance on a 2-on-1, it was cut short by a high-stick to the face from Logan Stanley. And when his breakout pass led to a goal by Karlstrom, he wasn't credited with an assist.

Overall, it was a solid, if unspectacular performance by Pettersson. You would certainly hope for a little more from him, but he certainly isn't playing poorly. He even did well holding off defenders with his body positioning and you can tell that with a little more strength and size, he'll be tough to handle with his stickhandling and skating.

The most encouraging sign might have come from the commentary rather than his play on the ice. Gord Miller said at one point, “Talking to [Sweden head coach] Tomas Montén yesterday, asking who the most skilled player on his team might be, without hesitation he said Pettersson."

There you go you turkey's that have nothing good to say about Pettersson. I didn't even have to watch his play to know you were either intentionally talking trash about him or didn't know what you were talking about and I strongly suspected the latter. :shakehead

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I only got to watch the first period, but are you talking about Steele's goal? #11 on Sweden (don't know who that is) pretty clearly swiped the puck off Petterson's stick right to a Canadian, wouldn't blame Petterson on that one. But yes, Petterson has been disappointing this tourney.

Andersson and Boqvist have looked much better. Lind has been invisible as well

nooooooope. Andersson yes, Boqvist no. Nice try

Seems like we've got some anti Canuck fans trying to set up a new "You guys should have drafted this player instead of this one" seed for attack usage down the road.

up for discussion with an player, but some of the things that are being said about Petterson partially is absolutely not even true. Lost ever puck battle? Turn over machine? WTF is he made some advance level plays that were too good for his teammates to handle.

wasn't credited with an assist in his 2nd game and wasn't credited with the assist again in game 3. Possibility 3 point in 3 games were he was i

And as I recall, most people on this board wanted Boqvist with our 2nd pick. Many were worried he would be gone already at that time.

Most people wanted Hauge. and as I recall when LInd was drafted all but maybe 1 said should have went for Boqvist.

Lind was a awesome pick at 33.

There you go you turkey's that have nothing good to say about Pettersson.

these turkeys waited for their opening to rip Petterson. Mr. JohnnyCanuck opened the path for that barraging him with fictional crap that looked like a Lucas Sbisa scouting report.

Turned it into a two way attack, with hahahah you clowns should have drafted boqvist instead of lind. you guys messed up again and with the
"Anderson played much better then Petterson" this method of attack is more of a trying to make us feel discouraged about our pick.

Essentially trashing our 1st 2 picks of 2017 with a 3 game tourny sample.

Meanwhile totally ignoring how well Gadjovich played

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Why is he playing in a mean nothing tournament if he's injured?

Good question. I don't know why Benning didn't make it a priority to get him signed right away but if he had he could have held him out of this summer evaluation tournament. Let's hope there's he doesn't make the hip injury too much worse by playing.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
these turkeys waited for their opening to rip Petterson. Mr. JohnnyCanuck opened the path for that barraging him with fictional crap that looked like a Lucas Sbisa scouting report.

Nothing was fictional Lawrence as I call a spade a spade. If you like to read fictional gems then just read the above article about Petterssons play today. Phrases like "excellent defensive awareness" or "Solid" or "He even did well holding off defenders with his body positioning" are gold!

Since you probably didn't watch the game today I'll give ya a quick breakdown then we'll move onto our golden boy Pettersson...

Brannstrom and Andersson were magic today as was Steel and Kyrou. Both sets of players lead their teams and controlled the pace of the game. Makar & Liljegren deserve a shout out as both played solid at both ends of the rink. Our boy Lind was ineffective and my personal favorite in Glass was f***ing invisible. Dipietro showed just how athletic he is down low but got beat on 2 perfect shots upstairs and Hart got beat on his first shot but settled down after that. Gustavsson was garbage. Foote, Shaw and Karlstrom also made some nice plays. Everybody else was pretty much just going through the motions.

And now for Pettersson...absolutely ineffective and unspectacular as almost every play died on his stick or lead to a turnover. That article talks about his defensive play but that's only because everytime he hit the ice, Team Canada got the turnover and put the pressure on Sweden...This even happen when Pettersson was on the PP...He spent a lot of his time in his own end and every time he broke out or gained entry, it was a bad pass or he was completely rubbed out along the boards. He was again completely useless below the goal line, along the boards or in front of the net at both ends. I will say that since he did play so much in his own end that he was positionally sound and did make some nice defensive plays. The only little glimmer of offensive skill we got from Pettersson today was a head fake on a break out and the back to back one timers on the PP....so about 45 seconds of the entire game!

He was by far Swedens worst player on the ice today.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Nothing was fictional Lawrence as I call a spade a spade. If you like to read fictional gems then just read the above article about Petterssons play today. Phrases like "excellent defensive awareness" or "Solid" or "He even did well holding off defenders with his body positioning" are gold!

Since you probably didn't watch the game today I'll give ya a quick breakdown then we'll move onto our golden boy Pettersson...

Brannstrom and Andersson were magic today as was Steel and Kyrou. Both sets of players lead their teams and controlled the pace of the game. Makar & Liljegren deserve a shout out as both played solid at both ends of the rink. Our boy Lind was ineffective and my personal favorite in Glass was f***ing invisible. Dipietro showed just how athletic he is down low but got beat on 2 perfect shots upstairs and Hart got beat on his first shot but settled down after that. Gustavsson was garbage. Foote, Shaw and Karlstrom also made some nice plays. Everybody else was pretty much just going through the motions.

And now for Pettersson...absolutely ineffective and unspectacular as almost every play died on his stick or lead to a turnover. That article talks about his defensive play but that's only because everytime he hit the ice, Team Canada got the turnover and put the pressure on Sweden...This even happen when Pettersson was on the PP...He spent a lot of his time in his own end and every time he broke out or gained entry, it was a bad pass or he was completely rubbed out along the boards. He was again completely useless below the goal line, along the boards or in front of the net at both ends. I will say that since he did play so much in his own end that he was positionally sound and did make some nice defensive plays. The only little glimmer of offensive skill we got from Pettersson today was a head fake on a break out and the back to back one timers on the PP....so about 45 seconds of the entire game!

Yeah I think he's playing a little bit hobbled by injury to be fair. He has looked nothing like the player I'm familiar with. His coach swears he is the most talented player on the team and you're absolutely right, he was pretty much invisible in the tournament. I thought Brannstrom and Liljegren were the standouts for Sweden today with Andersson and Boqvist also having their moments.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Yeah I think he's playing a little bit hobbled by injury to be fair. He has looked nothing like the player I'm familiar with. His coach swears he is the most talented player on the team and you're absolutely right, he was pretty much invisible in the tournament. I thought Brannstrom and Liljegren were the standouts for Sweden today with Andersson and Boqvist also having their moments.

If he was injured then he'd be out...no question.

He's looked like the player I'm completely familiar with :nod:

Tomorrow should be interesting as I'll be looking if coach keeps him @ C or puts him back on wing.

:popcorn:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver

That's 45 more seconds than Cody Glass!

What a rubbish post. Where are these turnovers you're speaking of? Other than his one weak pass on the PP his puck management was great.

Useless my ass. QBing the PP creating plays, making a great pass that leads to a goal, great defensively all while playing with a nagging injury.

If you actually watched the game Jacob Moverare was easily the worst player out there.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If he was injured then he'd be out...no question.

He's looked like the player I'm completely familiar with :nod:

Tomorrow should be interesting as I'll be looking if coach keeps him @ C or puts him back on wing.

:popcorn:

He says he has a sore hip but that it's nothing major. That's what he says.

Expect him to play like **** again tomorrow. He's just not moving the way I've seen him move in the past. As the late great Danny Gallivan would say "Pettersson is skating gingerly over the line...". Anyway, enjoy the game tomorrow, I'm betting you'll see your prophecy fulfilled :)

Who's playing by the way?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
That's 45 more seconds than Cody Glass!

What a rubbish post. Where are these turnovers you're speaking of? Other than his one weak pass on the PP his puck management was great.

Useless my ass. QBing the PP creating plays, making a great pass that leads to a goal, great defensively all while playing with a nagging injury.

If you actually watched the game Jacob Moverare was easily the worst player out there.

No. It's about 15 seconds more than Glass.

Is it rubbish? 1 for 5 on the PP for Sweden tonight son!

Pettersson didn't QB jack s*** on the PP

a couple of one timers doesn't mean s***

Pettersson has a injury now? We better keep him out of the next game right?

Oh boy........If he playes...........he'll probably turn it over a lots due to his week passing.

I'll be watching...I always do :naughty:

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

another game another pretty meh/underwhelming offensively imo but another "hey, i wont show you everything but here, have a sneak peak at my defensive awareness" kind of game

in this game, i thought he really showed a lot of high quality defensive awareness many times.
that GA was kind of cringey as it couldve have prevented if #11 swedish guy just let Elias walk out but instead he swapped too far ahead of Pettersson and yeah...

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Thought he had a pretty good game yesterday, probably best of the tourney for him. Liked his defensive game at C and was better than expected on faceoffs (Andersson was surprisingly not good). The one thing Pettersson probably had on Mittelstadt was a little better defensive awareness/engagement, so glad that came through.

I think Vancouver's identity moving forward is going to have to be a really strong 2-way game throughout its lineup, with room for maybe an offensive winger or 2 like Goldobin. Pettersson is a good fit in that way.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Possession GOD.

Instead of dumping the puck in on a line change which is low IQ trash as you then have to start chasing again. He passes it back to his D-man to play catch while the line change is complete.

Little sound bite @ 4:10 from his coach :yo::yo:

Its good to have a prospect who is elite at zone entry's.

Liljegrin is Edler 2.0. Guy shoots into shin pads sooooooo much.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

we know he struggled, but not to the over exaggerated response of what your saying, now your trying add more insult too petterson by brining in other players that did well and making that extra comparison, or,that extra kick. Yet you totally ignore the fact gajovich being one of Canada's most effective player and your praise 5 other players, liljegren is is shinning with his 3 point performance, so he gets away with a few obvious errors that are quite apparent.

You see, to be very happy that he struggle and more so other players that did well and you highlite, wth makar didn't even do that well.

Looking forward to your next fictional scouting report. Love how your trying to start up another "oh Canucks missed out on xxx (player drafted 1 or 2 spots later) path again. Thankfully Cody glass was not your option since he was move invisbale then Lind, so that avenue was closed shut In your face.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Was he playing today?

Yes. Played RW on Andersson's line. Just watching it now (1st period) and hasn't been overly noticeable. A couple nifty passes but really struggles to accomplish anything with the puck. Chases the play a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad