Prospect Info: 5th overall: Vancouver selects Elias Pettersson (Timra, Allsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yes. Played RW on Andersson's line. Just watching it now (1st period) and hasn't been overly noticeable. A couple nifty passes but really struggles to accomplish anything with the puck. Chases the play a lot.

This is where people often look at things differently with different views, chases the play is true, but I seen it more as hard forecheck and backcheck he was often first on both among forwards..

With that said he seemed more concerned with his defensive play in this tournament and I said to myself at one point he should stop forechecking alone his linemates were not doing it and it just was not accomplishing much. I love that style of hockey but you need more support on the forecheck if it is to be successful and that might be a coaching thing sending in a single player. He did ring the post on a breakaway and made a few nice backhand saucer passes. He looked to be on cruise control a few times.

Personally other then steen and lindstrom (I think that was him also a lundstrom) I didnt see much from sweden even dahlin today who i love. USA to me looked the best, but I dont put much stock in these tournaments especially the summer scrimmage camp, i remember hayden fleury blew me away in this tournament after he was drafted and I thought carolina might have gotten a steal.

It was scrappy chippy hack and wack hockey. The real test starts when the shl season starts.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
This is where people often look at things differently with different views, chases the play is true, but I seen it more as hard forecheck and backcheck he was often first on both among forwards..

With that said he seemed more concerned with his defensive play in this tournament and I said to myself at one point he should stop forechecking alone his linemates were not doing it and it just was not accomplishing much. I love that style of hockey but you need more support on the forecheck if it is to be successful and that might be a coaching thing sending in a single player. He did ring the post on a breakaway and made a few nice backhand saucer passes. He looked to be on cruise control a few times.

Personally other then steen and lindstrom (I think that was him also a lundstrom) I didnt see much from sweden even dahlin today who i love. USA to me looked the best, but I dont put much stock in these tournaments especially the summer scrimmage camp, i remember hayden fleury blew me away in this tournament after he was drafted and I thought carolina might have gotten a steal.

It was scrappy chippy hack and wack hockey. The real test starts when the shl season starts.

To be fair I paused the game after the 1st and haven't resumed yet so I'm only commenting on one period so far. And I'm fine with some of the things he's doing out there - he shows some nice vision on some of his passes - but I don't like to get carried away praising things like effort or "smart little plays" because those are the minimum I expect out of a player who is projected to play in the NHL someday. Those should be expected, not a source of praise. I'm looking for signs that he is a potential top 6 Centre in the NHL someday. I haven't seen much to get excited about in that regard from the summer showcase. Now I'm not saying (and I don't think anyone is) that is the be all, end all of his progression. It just would have been nice to see at this early stage is all.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
All I noticed from watching those shift by shift videos is that Gustav Lindstrom is a very good player, excellent pick at 38 by Detroit.

Pettersson was here and there. Made some really smart moves and had the puck a lot but also tried to do to much and turned it over frequently. Not necessarily a bad thing, I like his guts. I really liked how he battled in front of the net with some frequency and actually threw a couple hits here and there.

Some of his remarks were intriguing, like saying the NHL contract isn't a concern because he isn't ready, which I liked. But then saying he didn't feel pressure for this tournament I didn't like.

Nonetheless he seems like a character. I like him a lot as a prospect and as a person. Good kid we've got on our hands.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
To be fair I paused the game after the 1st and haven't resumed yet so I'm only commenting on one period so far. And I'm fine with some of the things he's doing out there - he shows some nice vision on some of his passes - but I don't like to get carried away praising things like effort or "smart little plays" because those are the minimum I expect out of a player who is projected to play in the NHL someday. Those should be expected, not a source of praise. I'm looking for signs that he is a potential top 6 Centre in the NHL someday. I haven't seen much to get excited about in that regard from the summer showcase. Now I'm not saying (and I don't think anyone is) that is the be all, end all of his progression. It just would have been nice to see at this early stage is all.

I dont think I praise smart little plays or effort not sure if that is directed at me in your reply, just pointing out chasing the play is not inaccurate just a different interpretation, I seen it as him being first on the forecheck and backcheck often working defensively. However it didnt work with swedens system, maybe the coach was playing a 1-2-2.

It was not a standout tournament for him, I dont think anyone is saying that either but people also over-analyze prospects sometimes to much when they finally get a chance to see them on tv pointing out every minute detail especially at a summer camp. Its a fine line I remember all the complaints about bo every time he was on tv and the complaints after that we drafted a 3c picking apart his offensive production every shift or boeser who had a terrible wjc and then went on for a historic ncaa season, with that said it happened with virtanen as well and that turned out to be a real concern. On the opposite end of the spectrum as mentioned hayden fluery blew me away at the summer showcase, I remember him going end to end for a goal and just saying this kid looks amazing, I regret that now.

I dont think anyone has been unfairly praising him or unfairly disparaging him outside johnnycanuck over a summer camp game, I just dont always agree with how much stock is put into some of these and the over analysis hanging on every shift be it good or bad. With that said my criticism/praise will start with the shl season but over a handful of games rather then just shift to shift after every game. But everyone is entitled to that analysis and I enjoy reading it.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Yup, people don't seem to understand the difference.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
His main problem (IMO) is he is neither quick enough to create separation in the ozone nor strong enough to battle through hard checking. He tries to shake guys on the boards but he isn't quick enough in his pivots and he gets pinned or the puck knocked away. He's caught between having the mass of a 5'9 player but the pivots and high centre of gravity of a 6'2 player.

Since he isn't going to get shorter he badly needs to put on weight and leg/core strength. Good news is he should be able to remedy this to a large degree, but it's going to limit his effectiveness in NA style games until he does.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I dont think I praise smart little plays or effort not sure if that is directed at me in your reply, just pointing out chasing the play is not inaccurate just a different interpretation, I seen it as him being first on the forecheck and backcheck often working defensively. However it didnt work with swedens system, maybe the coach was playing a 1-2-2.

It was not a standout tournament for him, I dont think anyone is saying that either but people also over-analyze prospects sometimes to much when they finally get a chance to see them on tv pointing out every minute detail especially at a summer camp. Its a fine line I remember all the complaints about bo every time he was on tv and the complaints after that we drafted a 3c, with that said it happened with virtanen as well and that turned out to be a real concern. On the opposite end of the spectrum as mentioned hayden fluery blew me away at the summer showcase, I remember him going end to end for a goal and just saying this kid looks amazing, I regret that now.

I dont think anyone has been unfairly praising him or unfairly disparaging him outside johnnycanuck over a summer camp game, I just dont always agree with how much stock is put into some of these and the over analysis hanging on every shift be it good or bad. With that said my criticism/praise will start with the shl season but over a handful of games rather then just shift to every game.

Not directed at you but at some of the posters on the previous pages of this thread. And what I mean by chasing is he rarely has possession for long and is often spending much of his shift in the ozone trying to recover pucks rather than having it on his stick. He's hustling for sure but not getting much done either. That's disappointing for the type of player he is. It's fine for a hustle winger like Gadjovich but I'd like to see Pettersson with the puck on his stick more and chasing it less.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
His main problem (IMO) is he is neither quick enough to create separation in the ozone nor strong enough to battle through hard checking. He tries to shake guys on the boards but he isn't quick enough in his pivots and he gets pinned or the puck knocked away. He's caught between having the mass of a 5'9 player but the pivots and high centre of gravity of a 6'2 player.

Since he isn't going to get shorter he badly needs to put on weight and leg/core strength. Good news is he should be able to remedy this to a large degree, but it's going to limit his effectiveness in NA style games until he does.

Dont disagree with that, I dont think anyone can but that was well known heading into the draft, he will need to put on strength and weight before he comes over and plays the north american game, that is well known and spot on.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Not directed at you but at some of the posters on the previous pages of this thread. And what I mean by chasing is he rarely has possession for long and is often spending much of his shift in the ozone trying to recover pucks rather than having it on his stick. He's hustling for sure but not getting much done either. That's disappointing for the type of player he is. It's fine for a hustle winger like Gadjovich but I'd like to see Pettersson with the puck on his stick more and chasing it less.

True but again this is where i point out a summer scrimmage over a few days, in allsvenskan he was the exact opposite and very much an excellent possession player who also made plays off his stick.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
True but again this is where i point out a summer scrimmage over a few days, because in allsvenskan he was the exact opposite and very much a possession player who made plays off his stick.

Fair and I'm not saying the summer showcase games are everything. But some players have managed to stand out (Mittelstadt, Bransstrom) nonetheless and I am just a bit disappointed that I'm not seeing the same of our guy. And this is a bit of a continuation of Pettersson's disappointing WJC which was also played on smaller ice. One of my concerns so far is how his game translates from the bigger, euro style games to the smaller, NA style games. A good showing in this showcase would have put some of those to rest but it looks like I'll have to wait for the WJC in Buffalo to hopefully see him excel in these style of games.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Fair and I'm not saying the summer showcase games are everything. But some players have managed to stand out (Mittelstadt, Bransstrom) nonetheless and I am just a bit disappointed that I'm not seeing the same of our guy. And this is a bit of a continuation of Pettersson's disappointing WJC which was also played on smaller ice. One of my concerns so far is how his game translates from the bigger, euro style games to the smaller, NA style games. A good showing in this showcase would have put some of those to rest but it looks like I'll have to wait for the WJC in Buffalo to hopefully see him excel in these style of games.

I dont think his game will translate well until he puts on weight and gets stronger, that will have to come first (i dont know how much the hip factored in as well). But before he plays the NA game he needs strength and weight and based on his comments he knows this to.

Mittelstadt and bransstrom were very good and i really liked both pre draft, but as mentioned these short showcases can be snake oil, some of the players i have been most impressed with were not even drafted in the 1st round or outside the top 20 (hard to imagine they will all continue this impressive trajectory based on a summer camp), these camps and even wjc have fooled me before and its why i personally put less stock in tournaments then a players full season in a league.

Edit:

If he struggles in the shl this year then i will be more concerned. Thats partially why after a world jr where someone like boeser looks terrible I didnt freakout and thankfully he had a historic ncaa season when he returned. In comparison Juolevi having an incredible Wjc and then returning and looking more normal in the ohl worried me more when we took him.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I dont think his game will translate well until he puts on weight and gets stronger, that will have to come first (i dont know how much the hip factored in as well).

Mittelstadt and bransstrom were very good and i really liked both pre draft, but as mentioned these short showcases can be snake oil, some of the players i have been most impressed with were not even drafted in the 1st round or outside the top 20 (hard to imagine they will all continue this impressive trajectory based on a summer camp), these camps and even wjc have fooled me before and its why i personally put less stock in tournaments then a players full season in a league.

Fair and I'm trying to keep my comments focussed on what I'm seeing rather than making proclamations about his NHL future.

And tbf Glass has been just as hard to notice in the Canada games I've caught so I'm aware of the effect you're talking about. it is what it is.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the only time putting stock in a tournament makes any sense is if a player shows that they categorically do not have the ability to keep up. anything else is noise

more than anything, tournaments like this exist to showcase the specific skillset/types of skills that players have to inform fans with less knowledge than the draft nuts, so they have something to think about and look forward to

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

hit the post but again he's been weak on the puck this tournament. skill is there for sure.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's a meaningless exhibition in the summer so I'm not going to read too much into it. Though it would be hilarious if the projections I put on Nylander (who the Canucks passed) end up becoming true for Pettersson.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's a meaningless exhibition in the summer so I'm not going to read too much into it. Though it would be hilarious if the projections I put on Nylander (who the Canucks passed) end up becoming true for Pettersson.

You said Nylander was going to be a number one centre, one of the best in the league? Pettersson has elite skills, and goes to the tough areas. He protects the puck, much like a young Henrik. The kid just needs to become heavier in the bottom half, and he will be really good.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

hit the post but again he's been weak on the puck this tournament. skill is there for sure.

If anything this was his best game. He is clearly better then his linemates, as out of all the shifts he played his teammates he turned it over the fewest out of all of them.

good hustle, strong back checker, made very good safe plays especially in pressure situations, very some very strong plays, but ragged dolled way too easily. Made 2 turn overs, both were in enemy zone.

solid game, if anything watching this video I'm even more excited about this kid.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If anything this was his best game. He is clearly better then his linemates, as out of all the shifts he played his teammates he turned it over the fewest out of all of them.

good hustle, strong back checker, made very good safe plays especially in pressure situations, very some very strong plays, but ragged dolled way too easily. Made 2 turn overs, both were in enemy zone.

solid game, if anything watching this video I'm even more excited about this kid.

Why? Everything you are getting excited about is the bare minimum for an NHLer. He didn't show anything that would suggest a future first liner in the NHL. Nothing. A few nice passes and some hustle is well below what a first liner needs to do. And before you resort to "but he's only 18", stop and consider so was everyone else.

This showcase was disappointing. Full stop. You can try to convince yourself otherwise if you want but it's not reality.

Luckily this one showing doesn't define him or his career. But I don't like the implications that he somehow showed something exciting in this tournament, because that's simply a delusion.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why? Everything you are getting excited about is the bare minimum for an NHLer. He didn't show anything that would suggest a future first liner in the NHL. Nothing. A few nice passes and some hustle is well below what a first liner needs to do. And before you resort to "but he's only 18", stop and consider so was everyone else.

This showcase was disappointing. Full stop. You can try to convince yourself otherwise if you want but it's not reality.

Luckily this one showing doesn't define him or his career. But I don't like the implications that he somehow showed something exciting in this tournament, because that's simply a delusion.

The quality of play in this tournament was poor from top to bottom. The games I saw had very little flow even for this level of play. Look at the games played here compared to a regular season CHL game and the level of play is night and day; and not in favor of this tournament.

The guys who stood out were almost unilaterally the ones who had good physical attributes. The guys who have lesser tools and great hockey minds don't tend to shine when tossed into shiny hockey where they don't have time to adjust to the coaching and form proper chemistry. I'd place Petterson into this category and thus ever expected to see him stand out the way he will over the course of a full season where his smarts get more chances to shine.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pettersson is not physically developed for his age. He wasn't physically developed for his age a year ago, two years ago etc. I find if funny that some are surprised that he's not pushing guys his age or younger around, but instead losing puck battles to guys who are heavier and stronger despite not being older.

I'm too lazy to double check, but are there any posters who excused Pettersson for his relatively poor WJC performance but not excusing his play in this showcase?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Pettersson is not physically developed for his age. He wasn't physically developed for his age a year ago, two years ago etc. I find if funny that some are surprised that he's not pushing guys his age or younger around, but instead losing puck battles to guys who are heavier and stronger despite not being older.

I'm too lazy to double check, but are there any posters who excused Pettersson for his relatively poor WJC performance but not excusing his play in this showcase?

I know right. Wasn't it settled that he's at least two years away due to size but his potential is immense if he he can gain a lot more weight and muscle? Don't see what the issue is. He wasn't without flaws and his flaws are easily correctable. It'll just take time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad