Prospect Info: 5th overall: Vancouver selects Elias Pettersson (Timra, Allsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know right. Wasn't it settled that he's at least two years away due to size but his potential is immense if he he can gain a lot more weight and muscle? Don't see what the issue is. He wasn't without flaws and his flaws are easily correctable. It'll just take time

Maybe, when he does come over, he starts on the wing?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I don't like this pick at all this kid reminds me of a Swedish Brandon Sutter with better hands the way he skates and lumber is around he is slow to react to plays in tight and I think he's just going to be too buttery soft like Sutter. Would rather have some Gritty sandpaper players to cheer for i'm kind of tired of watching soft Swedish hockey after 15 years .

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
I don't like this pick at all this kid reminds me of a Swedish Brandon Sutter with better hands the way he skates and lumber is around he is slow to react to plays in tight and I think he's just going to be too buttery soft like Sutter. Would rather have some Gritty sandpaper players to cheer for i'm kind of tired of watching soft Swedish hockey after 15 years .

More North American 'meat and potatoes'.?..we went that route in 2014.....We passed on the buttery soft Swede,who didn't resemble a hockey player in any way shape or form.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
More North American 'meat and potatoes'.?..we went that route in 2014.....We passed on the buttery soft Swede,who didn't resemble a hockey player in any way shape or form.

Somewhere in between would be ideal. Doesn't have to be rattling the boards or dropping the gloves but also would be nice if it wasn't someone who struggles to possess the puck against his own age group. My concern about Pettersson is that I don't see the skating that Nylander has which allows him to quickly shift directions and create separation in small spaces. His skating is fine in open ice but when it gets crowded he can't elude checkers very well. This is why I suspect he excels in the Swedish leagues but struggles when he switches over to NA size rinks and NA style games.

I expect he'll have a half decent season in the SHL but I really hope he does well at the WJC in Buffalo as a sign that his game translates just as well to the style of games he's going to face over here.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

If Peterson was anything like Nylander I would loved the pick Nylanders is gritty and reacts thinks way faster than Peterson.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Not sure how nylander is gritty, he is very much a finesse player.

Nylander plays with grit Peterson Does not. Maybe Peterson can add some grit in his game but I doubt it his demeanor is like Brandon Butter soft Sutter. Nylander is much faster in his engine because he can react with his stick immediately to plays in tight Peterson is slow like a slug on his edges Nylander has elite mobility in tight spaces Peterson is slow as a snail in tight spaces with his stick and his skates. Not impressed by him at all hopeful he can improve or else it's a bad pick in my eyes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Peterson was anything like Nylander I would loved the pick Nylanders is gritty and reacts thinks way faster than Peterson.

Nylander is not at all gritty. Don't you remember his double .Flamingo?
Pettersson is actually very skilful. He's not gritty either.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Nylander plays with grit Peterson Does not. Maybe Peterson can add some grit in his game but I doubt it his demeanor is like Brandon Butter soft Sutter. Nylander is much faster in his engine because he can react with his stick immediately to plays in tight Peterson is slow like a slug on his edges Nylander has elite mobility in tight spaces Peterson is slow as a snail in tight spaces with his stick and his skates. Not impressed by him at all hopeful he can improve or else it's a bad pick in my eyes.

Agree that Nylander is a better skater which allows his game to work in NA. Disagree he is in any way "gritty".

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

No he does not.

Nylander plays with jump, but I don't think I'd put "grit" in his top 5 attributes.

I also love the claims of Pettersson's game considering you've watch a total of what? 4-5 games in an odd tourney and a prospects game, if you even caught them. Maybe a highlight package? Definitive conclusions based on limited information.

Regardless. This team is short on skill and prioritizing meat and potatoes is stupid for building a team. Especially one desperate for raw, unteachable skill.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Who did you want with this "grit" in the spot we picked instead? I look forward to an on-going comparison.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Who did you want with this "grit" in the spot we picked instead? I look forward to an on-going comparison.

i feel the Canuckw rounded themselves out in the grit department with Gadjovich. Gadjovich could very well end up being Pettersson's long-time winger.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agree that Nylander is a better skater which allows his game to work in NA. Disagree he is in any way "gritty".

Would love to post a picture of Nylander's double Flamingo from last season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

One thing to caution is nylander just didnt come over and make his game work in north america, I remember he struggled at first in the ahl and people did have concern about his game translating to since he liked to hold the puck for so long on his stick he sometimes got himself into trouble.

He was however stronger then pettersson at the same age and that to me is a big difference between to the two. I do recall concerns about nylanders game translating as well during the draft, heading into the draft he was my pick for us, he was amazing at the U18's against weaker teams and preliminary games, however when i tuned into the eichel usa game vs nylander it was no different then the pettersson criticism in that game, when the usa took away his time and space, he tried to make plays but ended up turning over the puck quite a bit, he had constant zone entries where the usa took away passing lanes and any room for him to work they essentially shut him down, it concerned me how his game would translate with less time and space and edged ehlers passed him for our draft spot, something i also regret and part of my learning process not to get to high or low on a prospect over a few games. Nylander of course learned in the ahl to make quicker plays and when he could hold onto the puck longer.

These things will take time if pettersson pans out, nylander being stronger then pettersson at this age made him more pro ready even though many had concerns about nylanders size as well during the draft just like pettersson he was still stronger, and that is the first thing that will need to be fixed over the season for pettersson before he plays a North American game where people like to tie him up against the boards. With that said I am not sure I see nylander pettersson comparison as much as others who like to compare them, they have very different styles of play. Nylander likes to hold and control the puck where pettersson likes to distribute it quickly and make quick plays.

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I can understand taking Pettersson over Vilardi/Glass, but don't really understand the logic of taking him over Mittelstadt. Similar style players, but the latter is just ahead right now in every area except maybe defensive game, although Casey's a decent 2 way player as well. I mean maybe he'll be just as good, but why not take the guy who is already that good? Unless there was legitimate concern about character, I don't get it.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I can understand taking Pettersson over Vilardi/Glass, but don't really understand the logic of taking him over Mittelstadt. Similar style players, but the latter is just ahead right now in every area except maybe defensive game, although Casey's a decent 2 way player as well. I mean maybe he'll be just as good, but why not take the guy who is already that good? Unless there was legitimate concern about character, I don't get it.

They liked Petterssons "Brain" more than Mittelstadts

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009

Because Mittelstadt played against highschool boys ... versus playing against men in Allsvenskan. Saying Mittelstadt is ahead of Pettersson is absolutely backwards thinking. Pettersson has the potential to be a true #1 pivot, just give him some time and see how he fills out. I can actually see a fair comparison to Henrik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad