Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I think they will switch back and forth for the first twenty or so games , with TB playing in more the early game situations to learn and then OM there ast the end for vet experience until Tobias figures it out without the pressure on a 20 yr old

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Might be the same result for some people. Not sure I could stomach watching 82 games of players skating around looking like they got paper mached by a mentally disabled orangutan.

Seeing a McDonalds M on a jersey is the same as the entire NHL folding? What?

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Not sure why I watched this and depressed myself.

It's almost as if Seider and Zegras are the top 2 picks from 2019 if you were to redo the draft today.

Obviously a lot of that will change in the next couple years as these kids mature, but it's as if Seider and Zegras have already matured along with their game.

With that said, we walked away with Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, and Fagemo in the first 2 rounds. Holy rebuild, Batman!

Since this is a Turcotte thread, this kid just needs to stay healthy to string some games together. As I type this he was injured playing against Stockton a few nights ago and has missed another 2 games. Kid just cannot stay in the lineup and has been set back so many times now.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Zegras and Seider becoming stars doesn’t lessen who Turcotte is and what he could become. Those two are exceptions to the rule — these kids do take time, no matter what my rosters look like for next year.

If Turcotte can’t withstand the rigors of an 82-game season against men, then it’s a good thing he still has a few years of AHL eligibility. He has plenty of time to get stronger and figure it out. If there was a 2014 redraft right now, I bet Kempe goes top ten or so. It just takes some guys longer to find their game.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Zegras and Seider becoming stars doesn’t lessen who Turcotte is and what he could become. Those two are exceptions to the rule — these kids do take time, no matter what my rosters look like for next year.

If Turcotte can’t withstand the rigors of an 82-game season against men, then it’s a good thing he still has a few years of AHL eligibility. He has plenty of time to get stronger and figure it out. If there was a 2014 redraft right now, I bet Kempe goes top ten or so. It just takes some guys longer to find their game.

For every Zegras and Seider, there are about 50 guys who aren't , but eventually in time become them. There is no rush with Turcotte or anyone else.

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
For every Zegras and Seider, there are about 50 guys who aren't , but eventually in time become them. There is no rush with Turcotte or anyone else.

For every Zegras and Seider, there is a Turcotte?

I hope he works out though, he is a king and i am rooting for him.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
With that said, we walked away with Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, and Fagemo in the first 2 rounds. Holy rebuild, Batman!

Since this is a Turcotte thread, this kid just needs to stay healthy to string some games together. As I type this he was injured playing against Stockton a few nights ago and has missed another 2 games. Kid just cannot stay in the lineup and has been set back so many times now.

If Turcotte busts....those other picks soften the blow for sure- especially if Fagemo ends up being a solid NHLer.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
It's almost as if Seider and Zegras are the top 2 picks from 2019 if you were to redo the draft today.

Obviously a lot of that will change in the next couple years as these kids mature, but it's as if Seider and Zegras have already matured along with their game.

Almost. Seider likely -- Zegras, not so sure. Everyone seems to be mesmerized and taken in with his highlight puck handling and creativity. Maybe instead of spending huge amounts of time on magic tricks he could be spending time working on meat and potatoes stuff -- like defense and faceoffs. He's actually a significant liability 5 on 5 and he doesn't kill penalties (although that isn't unusual for a player his age).

An interesting clash of philosophies between the Ducks and Kings. Zegras has been put in a position to succeed -- 75% offensive zone starts and with little attention to D (+/- of -13 by far the worst on the Ducks). The Kings otoh expect their forwards to learn a more complete game. Who is right? We shall see...

Reactions: lumbergh

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Seider looks good and so does Zegras but the 2003 draft rankings and others have changed so many times that you never know for sure.

That does not mean I think Turcotte will ever get to that level of play but this is interesting after at least 10 years.

This **** of oh no we drafted the wrong player is something for the mainboard and those kids.

Last edited:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I was tickled pink with the Turcotte pick, and I would have felt the same way about Seider too.

Still rooting for Alex to find that next gear and get his game to transition, and I really do think he is going to be a player who fits in with an NHL game better than the AHL.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If Turcotte busts....those other picks soften the blow for sure- especially if Fagemo ends up being a solid NHLer.

I don't think there is any chance that Turcotte busts (assuming by bust we are talking Teubert, Zultek, Karlsson, Tambellini etc.). He will find a role somewhere in the lineup. I think it's no secret I was not a fan of this pick having seen him play early on, but that is because of the limited offensive ceiling for such a high pick. He will still be a useful player as a top 9 forward in the NHL, someone who ideally will be a great 3rd liner, but someone who can also play throughout the lineup in multiple roles. It's just tough to see some the ceiling players taken behind him hitting so huge. Everyone is hung up on Zegras, I think because he plays for the Ducks and is super flashy and on TV all the time, but the rumors were the Kings wanted Byram going into the draft, imagine if after he was taken they just went Seider to fill the defense need instead of going center for a third straight year. You transition seamlessly from Doughty to Seider over a two-decade plus run which includes 3-4 years of them playing together at a high level.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Bust has different meanings to different folks for a fifth overall pick. If Turcotte turns into a 15g/35p ideal third line centre, some will be fine with that and others will label him a bust. The expectations of that high of a pick are elevated, and for good reason. If he turns into a Mike Ricci type player, I would be fine with that even though Ricci was mostly an ideal third liner and PK guy for much of his career.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I was tickled pink with the Turcotte pick, and I would have felt the same way about Seider too.

Still rooting for Alex to find that next gear and get his game to transition, and I really do think he is going to be a player who fits in with an NHL game better than the AHL.
Funny enough, I thought we would end up with Turcotte and Seider.. wish my post would have come true

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Not as hopeful on Turcotte's future here with the Kings that he'll reach his offensive ceiling. Still could be a serviceable 2 way player but a mid round talent level in top 5 is not what I was expecting. With Wrobo gone, and TMac in charge we simply don't have the development staff to get any offense out of our players and it will hurt Turc the most. We are loaded with centers and 2-way wingers. Going to need him to produce for any chance of making an impact on the roster as a top 6 forward. At best we could be getting a Trevor Moore type and we should be content with that or we simply wait 6 years and hope he gets there offensively.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't think there is any chance that Turcotte busts (assuming by bust we are talking Teubert, Zultek, Karlsson, Tambellini etc.). He will find a role somewhere in the lineup. I think it's no secret I was not a fan of this pick having seen him play early on, but that is because of the limited offensive ceiling for such a high pick. He will still be a useful player as a top 9 forward in the NHL, someone who ideally will be a great 3rd liner, but someone who can also play throughout the lineup in multiple roles. It's just tough to see some the ceiling players taken behind him hitting so huge. Everyone is hung up on Zegras, I think because he plays for the Ducks and is super flashy and on TV all the time, but the rumors were the Kings wanted Byram going into the draft, imagine if after he was taken they just went Seider to fill the defense need instead of going center for a third straight year. You transition seamlessly from Doughty to Seider over a two-decade plus run which includes 3-4 years of them playing together at a high level.

Seider was supposedly a reach though: there was no way Blake was going to take a reach with his first Top 5 draft pick. There are still people here on the scouting staff that were part of the Hickey debacle so I think they were always going to go safe with that selection.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
By some people's definition of 'bust', (first round draft picks that cannot eclipse 13 goals scored) Phillip Danault is a bust. If Turcotte ends up scoring 15 goals and 40 points, but makes others better around him
and helps the Kings win games, he won't be a bust. But I understand that's not what you want out of a #5 overall.
But he's no Trevor Lewis. Turcotte has way more talent than Trevor Lewis...Lewis could not make plays and had no vision. Turc is a good playmaker and has good vision. His overall skills are much superior to that of Trevor's.
So many injuries have set him back...even had a hip injury going into his draft year and now about 6 more. Who knows where he would be now, if had not sustained so many. It sucks.

Reactions: kinghock

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Turcotte is getting ripped on the main boards. He isnt wowing anyone sure but I think the hate is getting is crazy. Like a year ago he was winning the gold as the number 1 center against a heavy favorite team canada and now everyone has dug his grave and is ready to throw him in.
Well have to be patient with his development until he puts on some weight and gets a shot in the nhl with some good wingers.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Turcotte is getting ripped on the main boards. He isnt wowing anyone sure but I think the hate is getting is crazy. Like a year ago he was winning the gold as the number 1 center against a heavy favorite team canada and now everyone has dug his grave and is ready to throw him in.
Well have to be patient with his development until he puts on some weight and gets a shot in the nhl with some good wingers.

Proposal: - Chychrun for Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st

Is this the thread you are referencing? I normally don't read the sideshow main board, but I saw this on the side panel. Wow, even more terrible than I could imagine. These people are so delusional it's incredible.

Byfield? No, get lost.

Vilardi is a salvage player? Please, hasn't even played a full season across 3 years. He's over a PPG in the AHL and looks great. He's 22, not 32.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don’t hate him. I think he is a good player. “If” they indeed thought of him as a third line center. I question the pick at 5OA.

Zero chance they thought of him as a 3C when they drafted him. They may have thought that was his floor to go along with good intangibles but they weren't trying to fill the 3C box at 5OA.

They didn't expect 2OA and simply couldn't pass on Byfield even though he is a center. I definitely believe they were/are concerned about Turcotte's ceiling after two development years that didn't go as planned...Danault probably doesn't happen if Turcotte is a stud.

A huge part of his game is his tenacity and they've got to be concerned about his durability since he is continually nicked up and sometimes it is from the most innocuous plays. Maybe that goes away as he gets stronger but, man, you shouldn't be getting hurt at 20 years old from just falling down on a face off.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Bust has different meanings to different folks for a fifth overall pick. If Turcotte turns into a 15g/35p ideal third line centre, some will be fine with that and others will label him a bust. The expectations of that high of a pick are elevated, and for good reason. If he turns into a Mike Ricci type player, I would be fine with that even though Ricci was mostly an ideal third liner and PK guy for much of his career.

Ricci was actually the exact player I was going to use in my post and forgot to include that part of it. Ricci was also a high pick with a limited offensive ceiling who worked out great in Quebec/Colorado as a bottom six guy.

I guess my big concern is Colorado/Quebec drafted Sakic, Sundin and Lindros (Forsberg). As well as Nolan and Deadmarsh in a six year period. So they didn’t need Ricci to be more than that. The Kings only had two top 5 picks so it’ll be a tougher for our rebuild if Turcotte is Ricci.

Reactions: kingsfan

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Proposal: - Chychrun for Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st

Is this the thread you are referencing? I normally don't read the sideshow main board, but I saw this on the side panel. Wow, even more terrible than I could imagine. These people are so delusional it's incredible.

Byfield? No, get lost.

Vilardi is a salvage player? Please, hasn't even played a full season across 3 years. He's over a PPG in the AHL and looks great. He's 22, not 32.
Yea theres also a thread laf for turcotte on the main board. Its never kings fans making the threads wanting to trade the players but fans that dont watch the kings or reign regularly and love to spout nonsense. The main board really seems like its younger kids that love to bicker. No problem with it its just opinions not based in reality most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad