Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He would have been assigned to ONT anyway, and the contract would have slid to start next year, so it really isn't that relative.

I guess it's a moot point now with everything that has happened, my point was I was surprised that the #5 overall pick didn't demand an NHL game as part of an agreement to sign. That tells me that Turcotte basically told the Kings that he was leaving and the Kings had all the leverage, as opposed to Blake coming to Turcotte, which for high end elite prospects often results in an "Ok, I'll sign, but I want NHL action to burn the ELC".

I don't think he will be in the NHL next year, so that will be good that his ELC won't kick in until he is age 20.

From what I understood ; obviously it can change at any time but for now the season is just postponed atleast for a month , when the league resumes they will either go straight into the playoffs or extend the calendar into the summer . This is not a vacation and I believe teams will still be rehabbing and practicing .

got this from the NBA , idk if things will be diff for NHL but these are what’s being said of the NBA. Guess we’ll see.

Pretty sure that no one is practicing, atleast in an organized way.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I guess it's a moot point now with everything that has happened, my point was I was surprised that the #5 overall pick didn't demand an NHL game as part of an agreement to sign. That tells me that Turcotte basically told the Kings that he was leaving and the Kings had all the leverage, as opposed to Blake coming to Turcotte, which for high end elite prospects often results in an "Ok, I'll sign, but I want NHL action to burn the ELC".

I don't think he will be in the NHL next year, so that will be good that his ELC won't kick in until he is age 20.

Pretty sure that no one is practicing, atleast in an organized way.

I was just going off of what Mark Cuban said during his presser that he’s heard from the NBA . Obviously he expressed his concern in the beginning that it’s bigger than basketball , he’s also a great human being he is going to cover the pays for people that work hourly at the arena or any other staff he has and just ask for them to volunteer . Amazing person gotta love him .

After he said all these things he also said I’d like to mention that this is not a vacation players need to rehab and not call people in from out of town to hang out because they will be practicing of some sort . Obviously not sure in what capacity just thought I’d mention what I heard . Guess we’ll see

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Yeah the interesting part about this is the ATO, which now doesn't matter if the games are done, but would have been a savvy move.

I believe that since he's 19 when he signed, and will be 19 for the rest of the calendar year, his contract is only eligible to slide once. 18 year olds can slide twice.

So without the ATO, if he had played any professional games it would have counted as the slide year and 2020 would be the first year of his ELC regardless of how many NHL games he plays. But now if he plays fewer than 10 NHL games next season, his contract will slide and 2021 will be the first ELC year.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Awesome that they signed him. Now all we need is to survive the NHL announcement on the coronavirus >.<
Scary times my friends...is this the Spanish Influenza all over again...except this time more people die and the economies crumble...sad state of affairs...hope all is well with you and people of the World get better

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Scary times my friends...is this the Spanish Influenza all over again...except this time more people die and the economies crumble...sad state of affairs...hope all is well with you and people of the World get better
Let me give you a major difference. The Spanish Flu killed many young adults, and the coronavirus kills elderly people. They are not the same, at all.

Spanish flu - Wikipedia

The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but still, 92% of deaths occurred in people under 65.[85] This is unusual, since influenza is typically most deadly to weak individuals, such as infants under age two, adults over age 70, and the immunocompromised. In 1918, older adults may have had partial protection caused by exposure to the 1889–1890 flu pandemic, known as the "Russian flu".

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Let me give you a major difference. The Spanish Flu killed many young adults, and the coronavirus kills elderly people. They are not the same, at all.

Spanish flu - Wikipedia

The pandemic mostly killed young adults. In 1918–1919, 99% of pandemic influenza deaths in the U.S. occurred in people under 65, and nearly half in young adults 20 to 40 years old. In 1920, the mortality rate among people under 65 had decreased sixfold to half the mortality rate of people over 65, but still, 92% of deaths occurred in people under 65.[85] This is unusual, since influenza is typically most deadly to weak individuals, such as infants under age two, adults over age 70, and the immunocompromised. In 1918, older adults may have had partial protection caused by exposure to the 1889–1890 flu pandemic, known as the "Russian flu".
Yep. My grandmother at age 8 was orphaned by that flu. Her mother was in her twenties.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Beauty of an article on Turcotte by my favorite Athletic writer, Jordan Samuels-Thomas: The Kings' F-1 car: How Alex Turcotte's skating makes him an elite prospect

He lists 3 attributes, then goes into detail with each including video breakdowns:
  1. Puck skills
  2. Playmaking
  3. A nose for the net
He concludes with the following:

Jordan samuels-Thomas said:
For now, I’d say Turcotte is the best Kings prospect I’ve seen this season. I don’t think it’s by a very wide margin, which is less a knock on Turcotte but more of a vote of confidence in players like Gabriel Vilardi and Arthur Kaliyev who I have been able to study up close and have been very impressed with. However for me, it all comes back to Turcotte’s skating and puck skills that are further enhanced by his compete level.

Talent is one thing, but work ethic is the intangible that makes the NHL’s best players great, and from all accounts, Turcotte is going to compete. There are no clear flaws in his game.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Beauty of an article on Turcotte by my favorite Athletic writer, Jordan Samuels-Thomas: The Kings' F-1 car: How Alex Turcotte's skating makes him an elite prospect

He lists 3 attributes, then goes into detail with each including video breakdowns:
  1. Puck skills
  2. Playmaking
  3. A nose for the net

Agreed, loved the article. Jordan Samuels-Thomas is going to be the next Eric Duhatschek once his playing career is over. He is a fantastic writer, bar none.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

1. Puck skills
  2. Playmaking
  3. A nose for the net
When he becomes what we think, not if.... we could load up the top 6 by placing him at LW to ease him in.. maybe with Vilardi since Lafreniere is slotted next to Kopi:sarcasm:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Well we know he's been weight training during the break and it's possible he's still growing at 19. Those uniforms are something else though. That highlight encapsulates a lot of Turcotte's strengths. The skating, stickhandling and the playmaking skills. And he's doing it against pros! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well we know he's been weight training during the break and it's possible he's still growing at 19. Those uniforms are something else though. That highlight encapsulates a lot of Turcotte's strengths. The skating, stickhandling and the playmaking skills. And he's doing it against pros! :sarcasm:
Just remember it's just the DEL.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Eknoe3BXYAIyw58.jpg

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Is he playing RW? on that face-off pic, it was Akil taking the face off and Turc on RW. Maybe that was just a powerplay or Turc got kicked out just before the picture.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad