GDT: #58: Red Wings 5 at FLYERS 6 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
FELL ASLEEP WATCHING...WOKE UP IN TIME TO SEE WINGS TIE AND TK WIN IT...

BUT HELP ME OUT WHEN DID THE MANTHA G INCIDENT HAPPEN? THEY SHOWED REPLAY I CANT BELIEVE MY EYES!

AND WHAT?? RADKO KINDA SORTA WENT AFTER MANTHA?? GUY DESERVED TO GET SMASHED! AM ASHAMED WE DID NOTHING TO STAND UP FOR G, OF ALL PEOPLE, IF THIS WAS HALF AS BAD AS IT LOOKED TO ME...

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The one thing with that Giroux hit, guys on this team - and a lot of the young kids have been on the receiving end of those kid of plays a lot basically the whole Hakstol era, and it continues.

It just comes down to what kind of culture you want to have. This hasn’t exactly been a team that punishes other clubs, and if they try to - it’s usually against some no name fourth line scrub or 3rd pairing opponent.

Skill, and speed are the name of the game today, but punishing opponents - and especially their skilled players needs to be put into what this franchise is trying to build. A little bit of nasty, does help you win.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ghost was an absolute monster today. 77% xGF%, involved in so many chances, absolutely flying, super efficient in his exits/entries, no real misplays (I'll confirm with our turnover statistician). Voila.....the lowest 5v5 ice time on the defense and less than even a 3rd liner in Laughton. Niche player indeed.

If that doesn't make you mad, I don't know what to tell you. He was critical in helping them get a 5-1 lead, and eventually winning it. Shocker sitting him so much, to play inferior players, was critical in blowing it. Both of the other pairs were <40% in xGF%. But have no fear! Intangibles and heaviness are here!

How ever can this defense survive if they played the hot hand in Ghost more? How ever can Myers find himself in the starting lineup when Hall of Famers are locking down every spot and Ghost is the #6? #blessed

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ghost was an absolute monster today. 77% xGF%, involved in so many chances, absolutely flying, super efficient in his exits/entries, no real misplays (I'll confirm with our turnover statistician). Voila.....the lowest 5v5 ice time on the defense and less than even a 3rd liner in Laughton. Niche player indeed.

If that doesn't make you mad, I don't know what to tell you. He was critical in helping them get a 5-1 lead, and eventually winning it. Shocker sitting him so much, to play inferior players, was critical in blowing it. Both of the other pairs were <40% in xGF%. But have no fear! Intangibles and heaviness are here!

How ever can this defense survive if they played the hot hand in Ghost more? How ever can Myers find himself in the starting lineup when Hall of Famers are locking down every spot and Ghost is the #6? #blessed

Gor-Don is terrible.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
We really need to start losing a few games...

We NEED to trade Simmonds and I want a good draft pick since the playoffs aren't happening.

It's becoming less and less unlikely that we make the playoffs. 6 points away. 24 games left. It's doable.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
While I agree... I also disagree. Raffl should have to answer for Malkins retaliatory stick swing because he rabbit punched the back of his head? I don’t think A = B there, Peter Man. Malkin and Raffl should fight each other... Malkin would easily win, but at that moment of weaponizing equipment, fairness goes out the door.

However, I don’t think Malkins play was as dangerous as Manthas play. Martha doesn’t get the opportunity to say no. He has to stand up for his action.
raffle can fight, i've seen it when he gets pissed, malkin just hugs and ducks. my money is on raffle.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The flyers arent going to do **** tomorrow. Its the sad state this team is in

Unfortunately, they aren't in a position to be risking injuries and/or suspensions, especially against a team far behind them in the standings. If they are up / down by a lot in the 3rd, sure, send Varone in like a missile to end Mantha's season, but beyond that they are still in the improbable fight for a playoff spot.

Reactions: DaphneLion

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018

BUT HELP ME OUT WHEN DID THE MANTHA G INCIDENT HAPPEN? THEY SHOWED REPLAY I CANT BELIEVE MY EYES!

AND WHAT?? RADKO KINDA SORTA WENT AFTER MANTHA?? GUY DESERVED TO GET SMASHED! AM ASHAMED WE DID NOTHING TO STAND UP FOR G, OF ALL PEOPLE, IF THIS WAS HALF AS BAD AS IT LOOKED TO ME...
yea, i don't usually agree with jumping a player, but in this case it was called for.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
raffle can fight, i've seen it when he gets pissed, malkin just hugs and ducks. my money is on raffle.
I guess... I haven’t seen many fights where Raffl really digs in. The last one that comes to mind is when Landeskog leveled Couturier and beat up Raffl pretty easily. DISREGARD THAT: Landeskog hit Raffl and beat up Voracek. My bad!

Malkin is like a match, very easy to light, and Raffl is someone that needs to be worked up. My money would be on Malkin in a Malkin - Raffl fight, but who knows... maybe Raffl is holding in his anger for that games. He seems to be callous on the ice to me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Jeez guy. Caps lock

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I guess... I haven’t seen many fights where Raffl really digs in. The last one that comes to mind is when Landeskog leveled Couturier and beat up Raffl pretty easily. DISREGARD THAT: Landeskog hit Raffl and beat up Voracek. My bad!

Malkin is like a match, very easy to light, and Raffl is someone that needs to be worked up. My money would be on Malkin in a Malkin - Raffl fight, but who knows... maybe Raffl is holding in his anger for that games. He seems to be callous on the ice to me.
let's hope it happens, so we will know, one way or the other.

Reactions: CapnZin

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Simmonds and Gudas should be all over Mantha in the first period tomorrow. Get it over with in the first 5 minutes. But it has to be done.

The fact that they watched their captain get hit like that and did nothing infuriates me more than the blown 4 goal lead.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Talbots visa issues put the Flyers in a tough spot. Hart back to back or McKenna.
I'm for McKenna getting the start. Might feel different if the game was in New Jersey or New York or maybe Washington where they don't have to fly. That was a game for Hart to get through, and I don't like starting the same goalie in a back to back unless it's a very extreme situation.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Gordon's coaching today was suspect at best, the main thing I'm ticked off about is he acts like the timeout is Gold and refuses to use it. Should have called a
timeout after the 2nd goal of the 3rd making it 5-3. Did anyone else notice how pi55ed of Hagg was when he put Sanheim and Provy out there foe the final 1:24
and not him and Gudas, he slammed his stick and said F***** unbelivable and I can't say I disagree with him, Provy was not his best today especially in the defensive zone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Of course, you realize the "inferior" players were Provorov and Sanheim, who were dreadful.
MacDonald had a great game, even though he kept blowing scoring chances with bad passes.

SCF/SCA, HDCF/HDCA
Provorov 3/16 3/3
Sanheim 3/13 2/3
Ghost 13/3 3/1
MacDonald 16/2 5/1
Gudas 9/7 3/3
Hagg 10/9 4/3

Some of this reflects matching Provorov/Sanheim against the Larkin line as much as possible.
Some of this was just bad play, and in the long-run, I don't think Provorov-Sanheim is a good pairing.

MacDonald simply isn't the bad defensemen so many try to make him out to be, an experienced veteran who suppresses scoring (over a long period, so it's not a fluke). Not a top 4 on a good team, but not the liability he's advertised to be now that he's 100%.
Might be the first decent game for Hagg/Gudas, but that also reflects how shallow the Red Wings are these days.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gordon's coaching today was suspect at best, the main thing I'm ticked off about is he acts like the timeout is Gold and refuses to use it. Should have called a
timeout after the 2nd goal of the 3rd making it 5-3. Did anyone else notice how pi55ed of Hagg was when he put Sanheim and Provy out there foe the final 1:24
and not him and Gudas, he slammed his stick and said F***** unbelivable and I can't say I disagree with him, Provy was not his best today especially in the defensive zone.

Hagg also slammed his stick into the post because he was on the ice when they gave up the goal with 7 seconds left.

But I was waiting for the time out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad