GDT: #58: Red Wings 5 at FLYERS 6 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thoughts:

If you don't think Fletcher needs to shake this team up this summer, this game is prima facie evidence that's it's absolutely necessary, there is a leadership void and lack of urgency.
You're fighting for a playoff spot, against one of the worst teams in the league, at home, and you let them come back from 5-1 because you went flatter than a pancake?
I'm sorry, that's disgraceful! And while Hart had one of his worse games, he didn't give up any real softies and still made a half dozen tough saves.
If you almost get beat by Detroit with an average goalie performance, you're simply not a good team.

The fourth line played well, Varone is simply much better at center than at wing, and right now he's better than Vorobyev at both the NHL and AHL levels.
Bailey skates hard, I think he's understanding that he's got to work to keep a NHL job.

Best Flyer on the ice by a wide margin was Patrick, whatever happened over the break, he's got his mojo, not only 3 points and a great goal, but a handful of key defensive plays to boot. We're starting to see why he was a consensus #1 pick before his injuries.
Ghost also had a good game, as did Lindblom, who is one strong SOB, he never gives up on the puck, when he learns how to finish he's going to be dangerous.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Of course, you realize the "inferior" players were Provorov and Sanheim, who were dreadful.
MacDonald had a great game, even though he kept blowing scoring chances with bad passes.

SCF/SCA, HDCF/HDCA
Provorov 3/16 3/3
Sanheim 3/13 2/3
Ghost 13/3 3/1
MacDonald 16/2 5/1
Gudas 9/7 3/3
Hagg 10/9 4/3

Some of this reflects matching Provorov/Sanheim against the Larkin line as much as possible.
Some of this was just bad play, and in the long-run, I don't think Provorov-Sanheim is a good pairing.

MacDonald simply isn't the bad defensemen so many try to make him out to be, an experienced veteran who suppresses scoring (over a long period, so it's not a fluke). Not a top 4 on a good team, but not the liability he's advertised to be now that he's 100%.
Might be the first decent game for Hagg/Gudas, but that also reflects how shallow the Red Wings are these days.
A Mac is a 6/7 on any team

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Detroit suckered the Flyers into playing pond hockey and it worked. Guys started looking to pad their point totals instead of playing structured hockey.
It's happened too often to put all of the blame on the coach. Some of these guys just don't get the concept that the only stat that matters is the W in the standings. The young guys should look at what G and Coots did in the last minutes of reg time- get the puck out of the D zone; no long shots on an EN when misses become icings; and bear down on defense.
I never saw a Flyer team that retreated on defense as much as this bunch. Stand up your opponent; be a Tom Petty and don't back down!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A Mac is a 6/7 on any team

Go look at who the 150th defensemen are around the league and suddenly you'll appreciate MacDonald and Hagg (unless you're Striiker).
Seriously, we forget some of the trash we were sending out there as 5th and 6th defensemen some years.

Now by next year, those nightmares may be a thing of the past, but ask Lavi about 2011-12 when he couldn't find four healthy NHL caliber defensemen, or more recently, L Schenn, Grossman, Manning, Schultz. Three years ago MDZ was our #1 defenseman.
And when you get to #6/#7, Lauridsen, Colaiacovo, Gervais, etc

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Thoughts:

If you don't think Fletcher needs to shake this team up this summer, this game is prima facie evidence that's it's absolutely necessary, there is a leadership void and lack of urgency.
You're fighting for a playoff spot, against one of the worst teams in the league, at home, and you let them come back from 5-1 because you went flatter than a pancake?
I'm sorry, that's disgraceful! And while Hart had one of his worse games, he didn't give up any real softies and still made a half dozen tough saves.
If you almost get beat by Detroit with an average goalie performance, you're simply not a good team.

The fourth line played well, Varone is simply much better at center than at wing, and right now he's better than Vorobyev at both the NHL and AHL levels.
Bailey skates hard, I think he's understanding that he's got to work to keep a NHL job.

Best Flyer on the ice by a wide margin was Patrick, whatever happened over the break, he's got his mojo, not only 3 points and a great goal, but a handful of key defensive plays to boot. We're starting to see why he was a consensus #1 pick before his injuries.
Ghost also had a good game, as did Lindblom, who is one strong SOB, he never gives up on the puck, when he learns how to finish he's going to be dangerous.
What’s your definition of a shake up? The lack of urgency comes as a whole and not to one. Usually that’s a coaching argument.

7/12 F are good and should stay: Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom, and JVR.

3/12 F I think should stay as role players- Laughton and Bailey (I’ve been impressed with his checking and speed, but don’t see him as more than a 8-9TOI checking F)... Varone I’m indifferent to. NAK can replace Bailey.

2/12 F can get returns at the deadlin- Simmonds and Raffl. I’d like Simmer to return for a cheap contract, but this isn’t fantasyland.

Frost and NAK should be up. Maybe a good F can also find their way in through FA.

———

3/6 D should be untouchable- Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim.

1/6 D should only be traded for an overpayment- Gudas. He’s been our most consistent Dman. Not to mention he’s kind of a fan favorite.

2/6 D need to go- Amac and Hagg. Amac is wildly overpaid and overused. There are too many lapses in his game and hockey IQ to be paid and used how he is. Hagg will be the next Amac. Just used for blocking shots and hitting. His skating is kind of atrocious and he has no tracking ability.

Only shakeup I can see is potentially shipping Gudas (I won’t be happy) and replacing him with a T4 RHD along with implementing Morin and Myers into the lineup.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
That was "interesting."

Loved the TK wrap-around for the winner, and enjoyed watching Patrick, and Ghost.

AMac played a good game. There, I said it!

But jeez, why don't we challenge the points when we're down a skater? Seems like the better teams do. Mike Green had 15-20 feet of free ice and loads of time to set up Mantha's tying deflection.

Speaking of Mantha, he should have been sitting after the cheap head shot against G with under five minutes to go. The refs were just horrible.

Provy had a really rough game. I guess it was bound to happen with the extended minutes and tougher match-ups, but the mistakes with the puck have been tough to watch sometimes.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
If you move Gudas along with Simmonds, the team will be the Philadelphia Charmins.
Yeah that’s why I’m hoping Morin pans out and brings a much needed mean edge to the Flyers that have been lacking since Pronger’s time here, but even Simmer today he should have went after Mantha but he’s already accepted that the Flyers have moved on from him and he’s playing that way, this league can move towards speed and skill all it wants but guys like Wilson keep hanging around and yes fighting is down but you don’t want to be hung out to dry so to speak without at least one player that will drop them if they need to

Reactions: Amorgus and renberg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'd rather see this team in the playoffs than not. This team doesn't seem that far off, especially if they can get a RHD and get Frost/someone else up next year.

Reactions: TheKingPin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With Hart in goal, this team should be a playoff team next year, with a better coach and a couple major moves.
The lines are clutzy and the defense pairs are awkward. Every game pretty much the same issues, a porous defense depending on goalies to bail them out.
There's enough talent, but not the right talent, this game should have taught a few people that defense matters as much as offense.
Some of it is coaching, some of it is players, unless you're inside the locker room its hard to tell.
Defensemen get left out to dry by forwards, too many forwards head up ice for long passes instead of giving defensemen outlets, too many forwards fail to back check (why I love Couts and Patrick),

If Voracek stays, he has to be paired with Couts, he's a totally different player with and without Couts.
JVR - Giroux - TK is a disaster, b/c they struggle gaining possession, great at jumping on opportunities but not making them.
Put Giroux back on the 1st line, Lindblom with Patrick, and figure out whether JVR can play with Frost and find him a RW with wheels.
Sanheim needs to move back to the left side, but Ghost, Morin, Provorov? Myers needs to play, Gudas paired with a puck mover.

So Fletcher needs to shuffle the pieces around until they have a better fit, don't know what he's going to do, but watching them the last few weeks, even when they're winning they don't look good.
I'm betting on a RW and a veteran RHD, whether a major trade or free agency or both.

Reactions: renberg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Go look at who the 150th defensemen are around the league and suddenly you'll appreciate MacDonald and Hagg (unless you're Striiker).
Seriously, we forget some of the trash we were sending out there as 5th and 6th defensemen some years.

Now by next year, those nightmares may be a thing of the past, but ask Lavi about 2011-12 when he couldn't find four healthy NHL caliber defensemen, or more recently, L Schenn, Grossman, Manning, Schultz. Three years ago MDZ was our #1 defenseman.
And when you get to #6/#7, Lauridsen, Colaiacovo, Gervais, etc
Oh I know some teams run some horrid guys out there. But if I'm building a team he's a 6/7 and not making that money

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If Goulbourne gets yet another call-up, it will be the death of me. At which point, you may very well see my Ghoul.

Somewhere in a parking lot, with weed smoke bellowing from the small gap in his car’s open window - Cote would be smiling at the news.

Reactions: BiggE

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
How can a player have visa issues in the middle of a season? Edmonton plays a lot of games in the US.
There might be different visa requirements in order to work for an American employer rather than just come over for a game or 2
Edit: leight

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad