GDT: #58: Red Wings 5 at FLYERS 6 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because 5v5 isn't the only situation that counts in hockey.

PP scoring is luck, they were generating the same chances but were scoring at a historical low rate off those chances, now they're scoring at an unsustainable high rate.
And the difference in the PK is the goaltending, they had the worst S% on the PK until Hart became the goalie.

No matter how you cut it, it comes down to Hart. He's the entire difference in the team's play.

Even the personnel changes have turned out to be more or less neutral, Sanheim plays 5 more minutes against better competition but is far less effective, Gudas is playing with Hagg and both are playing worse, Ghost has had his minutes slightly reduced. At forward, putting Giroux at center hasn't increased scoring but has reduced possession. Patrick is playing better with worse forwards.

Total scoring per game
Hakstol: 31 games/91 goals = 2.94 goals per game
Gordon: 26 games/74 goals = 2.85 goals per game

It's the same mediocre team, the one that played over its head last year,
underachieved with awful goalies (.880 S%) under Hakstol this year,
and is 14-9-3 under Gordon with great goaltending - a 98 point rate.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Best player on the ice, a great goal where he shot, drove the net and put his own rebound in, two assists and could have had a couple more off nice setup passes, and he made a number of defensive plays in his own D-zone. Had a couple turnovers, but overall continued to play at the level he's found since the break.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
The reason Andy is terrible is because he is always only a heartbeat away from a catastrophe. That's all you need to know, and we all know it. He could play lights out for 99% of the game (he never does, but just for argument's sake), and then starfish or cruise in Grand Canyon Gap Reverse Mode, as he did last game, and **** up everything. He sucks at any price. Case closed.
It was a 4 on 2 counter rush. Larry Robinson would have gone for the shooter knowing Vanek would have to make a decent pass, which is something Vanek is not known to do. Of course, not even Provy is Robinson; let alone Handy Andy.
Yes indeed case is closed. Oh yeah, Robinson also knew he had behind him a pretty good goalie.......

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The reason Andy is terrible is because he is always only a heartbeat away from a catastrophe. That's all you need to know, and we all know it. He could play lights out for 99% of the game (he never does, but just for argument's sake), and then starfish or cruise in Grand Canyon Gap Reverse Mode, as he did last game, and **** up everything. He sucks at any price. Case closed.

MacDonald can’t even look bad in style. Whenever he f***s up it usually ends up with him down on all fours on the ice like a fish out of water.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
didn't see the game but that seems like a bad game from Hart..how bad was it?

It wasn't horrible, it was more Hart not making the plays we're used to seeing, got knocked off balance by Sanheim's stick on one goal, let a deflected shot bounce underneath his pads, had a shot go under his arm, he was also repeatedly hung out to dry by bad defense and kept them in the game.

Reactions: renberg and trostol

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Ok now take it back.

LOL! I knew somebody would bring up that "little" faux pas.

One of AMac's flaws is that he retreats from the blue line like Marshall Petain before the blitzkrieg. Of course, our forwards didn't help much with all of them getting left deep behind the entire Red Wings team.

Otherwise, he had a pretty solid game, by AMac standards. Of course, a lot had to do with Ghost's performance today, which was really strong.

Still, AMac had a pretty good game today. He was +1, and only out for one goal against. He led the team with a 5-on-5 CF% of 78.79% (Ghost was second). He was on the ice for 16 even strength scoring chances for and 5 high danger chances for. Scoring chances against were only two, with one of the high danger variety.

Hopefully, one of the GM's will have seen his work today and request a trade, so we can get Phil in the lineup. :D

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I'm trying to say there's more to judging a coach than icetimes alone.
Oh totally agree. My only point was filpula is playing a huge secondary role for the isles. absolutely loved by trots for his veteran presence/leadership. Uses him in ot, killing penalties, late in games. How’d that play over here the last 2 years?

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
If he's a huge upgrade, how come the team's advanced metrics with the same players are WORSE under Gordon?
The only difference is the goalies are much better, and that is completely due to being forced to play Hart because of injuries.
Because the attitude of the team has changed, both because of Hart's play and Hakstol gone from the bench!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The attitude change is completely due to Hart, the team behind bad goalies had reached the point where they expected bad things to happen because they were happening, they'd fight back from a deficit, then watch the goalies give up a couple "softees." It's hard to stay motivated when hard work goes nowhere.

Look at St Louis, do you think Berube is a good coach? Yet they're 23-13-2 since he took over.
Why, because Binnington is 11-1-2 .931 S%, 12-12 with Allen et al.

A hot goalie can cover a multitude of sins, bad goalies expose them - or if Q is so great, how come Chicago collapsed last year when Crawford got injured, 17-30-8, .902 S% from all his other goalies (note that's still better than the .880% under Hakstol).

The danger of a hot goalie is that he can breed complacency, we're winning so we don't have to make changes - but goalies tend to regress to the mean. And his backup will most likely be "league average" or worse (that's why he's a backup), around .908.

So if you want a team that garners > 100 points, a good playoff seeding and gets past the first round, you need to build a team that can win with average goalie player on a sustained basis. And that means Fletcher has to discount the recent winning and focus on how the team plays, not how Hart has elevated the team.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It was a 4 on 2 counter rush. Larry Robinson would have gone for the shooter knowing Vanek would have to make a decent pass, which is something Vanek is not known to do. Of course, not even Provy is Robinson; let alone Handy Andy.
Yes indeed case is closed. Oh yeah, Robinson also knew he had behind him a pretty good goalie.......
If Andy had tried to stand up at the blueline, he would have been between the two guys coming on that side, instead of being feebly picked by the Dman coming in to set the screen for Vanek. It would have been interference instead of starfish, screen and goal.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
By my unofficial numbers, that is the 9th time the Flyers have blown a 4-goal lead in franchise history. Their record (W-L-T) is 6-0-3. The most recent similarity was the 6-5 OT win vs. Pittsburgh with Mike Rathe scoring.

EDIT: The NHL has six of these nine games listed per their PR department's release from earlier tonight. We shall see what is verified.

How many out of those nine times were those leads blown in the 3rd eriod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
didn't see the game but that seems like a bad game from Hart..how bad was it?

Actually, I wouldn't say it was bad at all.

• 1st goal was a tap in due to poor defensive coverage
  • 2nd goal was a point blank shot from between the circles after a bad turnover from behind our net. Would have taken a spectacular save to keep that out of the net.
  • 3rd goal was maybe stoppable. Vanek allowed to walk right by MacDonald and it was a great shot but it was not unstoppable.
  • 4th and 5th goals were both deflections.

Just one of those games.

Reactions: trostol

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Actually, I wouldn't say it was bad at all.

• 1st goal was a tap in due to poor defensive coverage
  • 2nd goal was a point blank shot from between the circles after a bad turnover from behind our net. Would have taken a spectacular save to keep that out of the net.
  • 3rd goal was maybe stoppable. Vanek allowed to walk right by MacDonald and it was a great shot but it was not unstoppable.
  • 4th and 5th goals were both deflections.

Just one of those games.

Agreed, and the 2nd goal was made even more difficult to stop because Sanheim's stick prevented Hart from pushing off the post.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed, and the 2nd goal was made even more difficult to stop because Sanheim's stick prevented Hart from pushing off the post.

I didn't even see that. Sanheim was also at fault for the 1st goal. Rough game for him all around after a great game vs Minnesota.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why when people say playing Myers over MacDonald/Hagg will improve the team I just roll my eyes.
Now I want to see Myers play, but people have to stop smoking my stash, play a rookie defensemen and you can expect two things:
1) bad mistakes
2) inconsistency
We saw this from Sanheim last year in a sheltered role, we're seeing this from him in a more demanding role. Hopefully, in a year or two, he'll settle into a top four role and become a reliable centerpiece of the defense.
We'll see this from Myers for a year or two as well.

MacDonald is a solid, consistent defenseman, he's limited, but any HC would play him over a raw rookie in a playoff run.
The advantage of being a bad team is you can throw in someone like Myers, let him take his lumps, and shrug your shoulders.
So ironically, Hart's success has made it harder to play other young players.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Solid and consists
That's why when people say playing Myers over MacDonald/Hagg will improve the team I just roll my eyes.
Now I want to see Myers play, but people have to stop smoking my stash, play a rookie defensemen and you can expect two things:
1) bad mistakes
2) inconsistency
We saw this from Sanheim last year in a sheltered role, we're seeing this from him in a more demanding role. Hopefully, in a year or two, he'll settle into a top four role and become a reliable centerpiece of the defense.
We'll see this from Myers for a year or two as well.

MacDonald is a solid, consistent defenseman, he's limited, but any HC would play him over a raw rookie in a playoff run.
The advantage of being a bad team is you can throw in someone like Myers, let him take his lumps, and shrug your shoulders.
So ironically, Hart's success has made it harder to play other young players.

Solid and consistent shit is still shit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad